• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo reveals 3DS launch dates: Handheld to launch before end of fiscal year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Nintendo reveals 3DS launch dates: Handheld to launch before end of fiscal year

The opening presentations to Nintendo's 3DS preview events have ended. The presentations covered the 3DS's features, and some of the titles that will arrive at or soon after launch.

Read more on Bulbanews

$250? That's better than the price in Japan but still.

Nor me, considering none of the games I'm most interested in will make the launch window. The price is acceptable, but without interesting software I can easily wait to pick one up 'til later in the year.

$250, huh? Better start saving for serious now...

I think I'll pre order it at best buy since i got gift cards for it, plus having two ds's will help a lot with transfers

$250? Kind of guessed that would be the price...... That's actually not very expensive given what I'm hearing about the hardware it has, since that was about the same price as the Wii once. Though it'll be backward compatible with B/W, I'm probably not going to get one until next year when the price hopefully goes down by then. Besides, I have no reason to get one just yet, atleast not until the 6th Gen begins in 2015 or so.

Besides, I have no reason to get one just yet, atleast not until the 6th Gen begins in 2015 or so.
They won't wait that long to move the series to the 3DS. Chances are that the first 3DS main series games, the Generation VI main versions, will be released in 2013.

Waiting until Gamestop fills up with used models.

Wow, two days earlier in Europe again! Odd.

The price..... I probably won't buy it at first, like some others here say. It looks nice from what I've seen though.

They won't wait that long to move the series to the 3DS. Chances are that the first 3DS main series games, the Generation VI main versions, will be released in 2013.

You're saying that as if you don't feel the R/S remakes are likely. My guess on 2015 included Gray and R/S remakes to be made prior th the 6th gen, so that's why I gussed 2015.

You're saying that as if you don't feel the R/S remakes are likely. My guess on 2015 included Gray and R/S remakes to be made prior th the 6th gen, so that's why I gussed 2015.
I'm assuming you mean 2015 for the stateside release. At any rate, even if you expect there to be remakes, whichever game will be released in 2013 should be for the 3DS. It's very unlikely that Game Freak will stick to the DS almost three years into the 3DS' lifetime. This is not to say that I don't think the third version will be released for the DS; Game Freak made their choice for Black and White and they're unlikely to steer away from it for the third version.

One of the primary reasons I don't expect to see remakes in this generation is that I find it hard to believe Game Freak's first approach to the 3DS would be to modify GBA games (or DS ones, for that matter). It would make far more sense to keep that sort of thing for later in the system's lifetime, if at all.

Better get ready to buy one... But I won't because I'm waiting until the 3DS Lite or whatever they call it.

I'm assuming you mean 2015 for the stateside release. At any rate, even if you expect there to be remakes, whichever game will be released in 2013 should be for the 3DS. It's very unlikely that Game Freak will stick to the DS almost three years into the 3DS' lifetime. This is not to say that I don't think the third version will be released for the DS; Game Freak made their choice for Black and White and they're unlikely to steer away from it for the third version.

One of the primary reasons I don't expect to see remakes in this generation is that I find it hard to believe Game Freak's first approach to the 3DS would be to modify GBA games (or DS ones, for that matter). It would make far more sense to keep that sort of thing for later in the system's lifetime, if at all.

They did almost exactly this with the 3rd and 4th Gen. D/P weren't released until 2007 in the US, and given how the DS was first released in the US, there was no Pokemon game on said handheld for 3 years. For the 6th Gen, if the same instance repeats since it's a whole new handheld, the Japanese release will be in 2014, with the US release being in 2015. Info on the games will probably be released sometime after the R/S remakes Japanese release similar to the 5th Gen, but as I said in another topic, I'm waiting until I know exactly WHAT system Gray is being released for until I say anything else, but really, it's most likely the DS to keep in synch with B/W.

As for the last part they did EXACTLY that when trying to make all the old Pokemon available in the 3rd Gen, as well as removing the need for the 3rd Gen games for Pokemon as well in the 4th Gen.

I'm waiting until I know exactly WHAT system Gray is being released for until I say anything else, but really, it's most likely the DS to keep in synch with B/W.

While I can see the logic in keeping the Third Version on the DS, personally I do hope B&W are the last main series games released on this very dated platform. Compatibility with B&W, and even the Pokeshift with Gen IV games could easily be retained even on a 3DS-exclusive third version.

While I can see the logic in keeping the Third Version on the DS, personally I do hope B&W are the last main series games released on this very dated platform. Compatibility with B&W, and even the Pokeshift with Gen IV games could easily be retained even on a 3DS-exclusive third version.

Do we even know if the 3DS is compatible with the DS by wireless though?

The 3DS has been stated to be backwards compatible with DS games. By necessity it must have a fully-featured DS mode, capable of accessing DS hardware (or its functional equivalent). It stands to reason that hardware would be equally accessible in 3DS mode, just as a regular DS can make use of the GBA CPU built into the DS while in DS mode. In this case all it would need to be able to do is communicate on the same wireless frequencies.

The 3DS has been stated to be backwards compatible with DS games. By necessity it must have a fully-featured DS mode, capable of accessing DS hardware (or its functional equivalent). It stands to reason that hardware would be equally accessible in 3DS mode, just as a regular DS can make use of the GBA CPU built into the DS while in DS mode.

Yet we couldn't connect a GBC with a GBA now could we? That's the part I'm wanting to know there, since that can easily determine a different route for the 5th Gen if a 3DS can't connect directly with a DS/Lite/DSi/XL by simple wireless connection. It probably can given the ease wireless can be done in that manor, but there's always that dreadful possibility.....

They did almost exactly this with the 3rd and 4th Gen. D/P weren't released until 2007 in the US, and given how the DS was first released in the US, there was no Pokemon game on said handheld for 3 years.
In Japan, Diamond and Pearl were released within two years of the DS' launch; outside Japan the wait was a few months longer. If any precdent applies here at all, it means that the first 3DS games will be released in Japan in late 2013 at the latest.

As for the last part they did EXACTLY that when trying to make all the old Pokemon available in the 3rd Gen, as well as removing the need for the 3rd Gen games for Pokemon as well in the 4th Gen.
Were the first GBA games remakes of previous titles? The first DS ones? That's what this is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom