• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A better way to write Brock off the show

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score
Rather then derail another thread, I may as well post it in it's own. Mods can move this if they feel it doesn't fit here.

My theory on how Brock's storyline gets resolved:

He goes back to Pewter City (During the time between regions where one saga ends and another begins) and starts a Pokémon School close to his family's gym. Or he gets involved with the Pewter City Museum. There, he becomes a teacher and teaches all the techniques he's learned while on the road with Ash.

The only thing that has actually made past traveling partners leave was obligations:

1. Tracey always wanted to work with Professor Oak
2. Misty had to take over gym duties and is learning alot about how to be a better water Pokémon trainer.
3. May is traveling on her own and making a successful carrer out of Coordinating
4. and Max is helping his father at their gym.

I feel that if Brock were to be written out of the show, it would be through a way that's actually related to his goal. Just like the other characters were.

So what do you think? does this make sense?

Yeah it does make sense, and I'd guess that's close to how they'll go about doing it if they ever do get rid of Brock. I'm hoping he'll be gone sooner than later...but it's possible that he could end up staying with Ash for the rest of the anime, unfortunately.

I do like that idea for how Brock leaves... I hope it's soon, because he always seems too mature for the show.

He won't be written out of the show. Last time they tried it blew up in their faces.
Well, that's because they did it way too soon and the viewers weren't sick of Brock yet.
If they were to write him off after Sinnoh I'm pretty sure the viewers wouldn't mind as much.

He won't be written out of the show. Last time they tried it blew up in their faces.

To be honest, I mostly agree with this being the most likely possiblity.

However, the current "theories", invented by fans on this board and Serebii.net pertaining to Brock's fate seem to all follow the "falls in love with a girl and stays forever" approach. Even though it's been done before, several times I might add, and it didn't work.

This theory that I made up paints a more likely scenario of Brock's departure.

When Brock was originally replaced, he had only been there for 1 season and he was in the prime of his personality. That's why people complained back then.

Now we're 11 years later, and Brock's character isn't as fun or memorable as he used to be. It honestly seems like people just like his Pokemon now, such as Croagunk and Sudowoodo, moreso than the character himself.

Brock used to be more interesting than his Pokemon, but now its the other way around. He does still have his funny moments I'll admit, but I think the show would have been more fun if there was a new male sidekick introduced.

Now I don't dislike Brock or anything, but having him take a break from the series for awhile would be ok. I like PDL's ideas, Brock deserves a happy ending at least and I'd like to see Holly be involved with it.

The last time I saw Brock do something worthwhile was in Tanks For The Memories, and even then, it's not that much.

Uh-oh. Here comes Furi with her implausible and flawed theories.

I'd say death if I didn't love most of his Pokemon.

The writers made him a breeder and they're not going to change his profession.

^Technically, he is still a breeder. He's just teaching what he knows to others.

Now I don't dislike Brock or anything, but having him take a break from the series for awhile would be ok. I like PDL's ideas, Brock deserves a happy ending at least and I'd like to see Holly be involved with it.

The best part about my idea is that jokes can easily be made where Brock can easily to hook up with ladies who attend his classes.

(completely non-serious comedy comment: The school is actually a cover-up so Brock can find girls.)

I think if Brock were to get written off the show, I think it'd be funny to see the new male sidekick to Ash flirt with the new female companion. Then it'd somewhat be like a new Brock, but really only flirts with the girl in the main cast as well. xD

That would make for some good comedy I'd think. :)

I think if Brock were to get written off the show, I think it'd be funny to see the new male sidekick to Ash flirt with the new female companion. Then it'd somewhat be like a new Brock, but really only flirts with the girl in the main cast as well. xD

That would make for some good comedy I'd think. :)

Oh that doesn't have the potential to get old quickly, not to mention not creepy at all. Nor would it not make Ash seem like the third wheel in the group.

(Note: it would get old, is actually creepy, since the female character would be harassed everywhere they went, and would totally make Ash redundant, since the dynamic would then center around Guy and Girl's relationship rather then Ash's relationship with his friends and Pokémon.)

Erm. Let's not talk about "replacements".

Brock has, like a million brothers and sisters (boy, HIS parents were busy, weren't they? XD). If they try tho remove him, Brock fanatics (sure, in this world, anything exists) use this, among other reasons to go against his removal, despit his character being pretty more tasteless than water.

His parents seemed to leave him in charge in Brock's younger days. It made it seem as if they didn't care.

In the fifth episode of the first season, Ash (from Flint) hears about how Brock has been in charge ever since his "father" left. His mother tried to help, but passed away. This was from the English version.

In the Japanese version, his mother originally also left to become someone (a Pokemon Coordinator?), thus making both of his parent deadbeat.

Then, in a Pokemon chronicles episode, it was explained that Brock's mother had come back. However, this time, the mother in the Japanese version was explained as being the step mother, something the U.S. fans agreed on, seeing as it was a pretty possible answer. So in this case, the original mother was never seen. only the step mother was, which explains why she can open her eyes much longer than the rest of her family. XD.

Still it is so confusing.

mm i like brock his personality really hasn't changed he's still the same awesome guy he was back in the old days. I'll never understand why people are sick of him and complain he never does anything as there has never been an episode where i couldn't count on seeing him do his part. (and i am not talking about him going crazy over girls thats a gag and doesn't count.)

How is Brock a breeder if he's never actually bred a single Pokemon? I think he failed his dream. I mean, I guess in the anime a breeder is someone who helps raise Pokemon as well, but he didn't really ever do anything different from anyone else other than making special blends of food... and last time I saw that was in Kanto. Someone feel free to correct me.

I think he needs to go. He's boring. And he interrupts battles too much.

I think if they were gonna write him off, they'd set him up in some breeding center with a random chick like Suzie. what ever happened to her anyway? meeting up with Suzie and Zane/Zack/whatever the hell his name was would be nice for Brock, no?

Now we're 11 years later, and Brock's character isn't as fun or memorable as he used to be.
And Ash's is? Honestly.

How is Brock a breeder if he's never actually bred a single Pokemon? I think he failed his dream.
Considering we haven't seen how breeders actually work, from start to finish (they either are already accomplished or still learning), you can't say that fairly.

1) If breeding pokémon refers to making them have sex for eggs, like the daycare centers, then he obviously can't do that while travelling.

2) If breeding pokémon refers to raising them "correctly" (think EVs) then it's still an ever-learning process.

3) If breeding pokémon simply refers to their over exceptional care, then he's a master-in-training.

If it's all three, or even two of the three, it's a goal just as long to achieve as a proclaimed 'pokémon master' or 'top coordinator'. Saying he's failed his dream is rubbish. He's travelling to learn. The writers don't take much stoke in a profession they probably don't even know the parameters for themselves, when what it means to be a top trainer or coordinator is spilled right out for us to gouge our eyes on.

How is Brock a breeder if he's never actually bred a single Pokemon? I think he failed his dream. I mean, I guess in the anime a breeder is someone who helps raise Pokemon as well, but he didn't really ever do anything different from anyone else other than making special blends of food... and last time I saw that was in Kanto. Someone feel free to correct me.

I think he needs to go. He's boring. And he interrupts battles too much.

And Ash's is? Honestly.

Considering we haven't seen how breeders actually work, from start to finish (they either are already accomplished or still learning), you can't say that fairly.

1) If breeding pokémon refers to making them have sex for eggs, like the daycare centers, then he obviously can't do that while travelling.

2) If breeding pokémon refers to raising them "correctly" (think EVs) then it's still an ever-learning process.

3) If breeding pokémon simply refers to their over exceptional care, then he's a master-in-training.

If it's all three, or even two of the three, it's a goal just as long to achieve as a proclaimed 'pokémon master' or 'top coordinator'. Saying he's failed his dream is rubbish. He's travelling to learn. The writers don't take much stoke in a profession they probably don't even know the parameters for themselves, when what it means to be a top trainer or coordinator is spilled right out for us to gouge our eyes on.

If they showed breeding, they would receive a phone call every other second from parent on how wrong that is to show "breeding".

However, I say, "Who says Pokemon breed like us?"

Also, they could always show breeding, in a different way that is. Maybe they can show the first part of breeding, skip in between, then go to the last part, (a jump-breeding? LOL).

I'm pretty sure that it's been shown how breeders like Brock interact with the Pokémon in their care.

If you actually research animal breeding, there is much more involved in caring of the animals in your care then simply pumping out offspring. There is care involved so that the animals you have are in perfect health physically, in peak condition and are emotionally happy and well cared for.

That's pretty much what a Pokémon breeder does. However, that doesn't really make for exciting competitions. The end goal for a breeder is a happy healthy Pokémon. It isn't the same kind of goal that a shiny trinket like a badge or a ribbon represents.

Hence why people automatically assume that Brock's role is completely useless.

Also: Stop trying to pair Brock with anyone. I specifically wrote this theory to prevent that!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom