• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: A Contemplation

Audrelite

We're all alone in our universe
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
Greetings, everyone!

While I was going through my Google Docs earlier today, I stumbled upon a rather intriguing snippet that, according to the timestamp, appears to have been written back in October of 2023. I must confess, the impetus behind the creation of this piece eludes me at present: perhaps it was a response to a prompt or challenge, an exploration of ideas for a potential fic, or, as is often the case with me, the result of a philosophical musing that simply demanded to be given written form. The latter seems the most plausible explanation (at least, in my opinion), given the introspective and contemplative tone that permeates the piece. Regardless of its genesis, I have decided to share this vignette with you all, as several forum members have expressed a keen interest in exploring my writing. As I have no further plans to expand or refine this particular piece, I thought it would be fitting to present it here for your perusal and, hopefully, your enjoyment.

Rating: Everyone

Content Warnings: None

If he stared long enough, Lucas could almost imagine the stars were speaking to him. Standing alone in his seaside living room, he gazed out the broad panoramic windows at the endless ocean, watching as dusk fell and the setting sun left streaks of fire across restless waves. Above, the first intrepid stars were winking into view, impossibly distant beacons emerging with the night; Lucas let his vision stray upward, thoughts drifting among those flickering brethren.

It was still difficult to believe that he now counted himself among Sinnoh's foremost astrophysicists—his once-distant dream now solid reality. After years of nomadic wandering and study, that life-changing letter had arrived, offering him a coveted research position at the Space Exploration Unit in Veilstone. Lucas had read those words under drifting leaves in Eterna Forest, stunned; then swiftly began preparations to return home, fire lit once more within.

Those first frenzied weeks in his new role had been a blur of data analysis, model simulations, instrument calibrations—the learning curve was steep, but Lucas embraced the challenge eagerly. He was determined to prove himself in this prestigious company of experts seeking to unravel the universe's deepest mysteries; their discoveries here might well shape humankind's next great era of spacefaring advancements. The thought sent a frisson down Lucas's spine.

To stand at the cusp of such monumental change, awake to the significance of their endeavors...it was a soaring, vertiginous feeling. The Faultline Observatory where Lucas was stationed rivaled even the Mossdeep Space Center in its astronomical capabilities: the radio telescopes studding its array could pinpoint a pulsar's beam across millions of lightyears; their infrared cameras could pierce veils of gas and dust hiding infant star systems. Every day, astonishing new insights into cosmic phenomena flowed into the data banks.

Lucas would arrive home each evening exhausted but exhilarated, mind still sifting through the day's findings. He had taken to spending an hour such as this, simply gazing out at the murmuring sea and meditative sky—the panorama induced a proper sense of scale and perspective, restoring equilibrium after hours spent among busy terminals and blinking instruments. Standing here calmed the clamor in Lucas's mind, leaving only life's essential mysteries still unsolved.

Why this eternal dance between earth and sky, between mortal mind and infinity? What drove the endless inquiry into the void's black depths? Perhaps it was encoded into human nature itself, that persistent impulse to seek out new frontiers—one part pragmatic need, one part insatiable hunger. To glimpse the universe's underlying order was to glimpse, too, a pattern in oneself.

Last edited:
If I may, I think I'd like to review this!! You're a talented writer, Audre -- much more than myself, so there's nothing I could give concrit to in good faith ahaha. I've taken it upon myself to review one story per night around our garden, so I hope you don't mind me chronicling this in my review blog as well!

If he stared long enough, Lucas could almost imagine the stars were speaking to him. Standing alone in his seaside living room, he gazed out the broad panoramic windows at the endless ocean, watching as dusk fell and the setting sun left streaks of fire across restless waves. Above, the first intrepid stars were winking into view, impossibly distant beacons emerging with the night; Lucas let his vision stray upward, thoughts drifting among those flickering brethren.
I can imagine this as a painting, almost... I guess I'll ask, is there anything you've done in particular to cultivate being able to include such detailed descriptions in your prose? I've been wanting to improve on that lately myself, so I thought I'd ask.

It was still difficult to believe that he now counted himself among Sinnoh's foremost astrophysicists—his once-distant dream now solid reality.
I really love this as a career path for one of the Sinnoh protags... excellent choice in my opinion!

After years of nomadic wandering and study, that life-changing letter had arrived, offering him a coveted research position at the Space Exploration Unit in Veilstone. Lucas had read those words under drifting leaves in Eterna Forest, stunned; then swiftly began preparations to return home, fire lit once more within.

Those first frenzied weeks in his new role had been a blur of data analysis, model simulations, instrument calibrations—the learning curve was steep, but Lucas embraced the challenge eagerly. He was determined to prove himself in this prestigious company of experts seeking to unravel the universe's deepest mysteries; their discoveries here might well shape humankind's next great era of spacefaring advancements. The thought sent a frisson down Lucas's spine.
Please tell me this is a proper AU you have. I very much would like to read more about all of this! ...Though I guess it might be a tad bit difficult to write about if you're not an astrophysicist yourself, maybe? :chansey:

Why this eternal dance between earth and sky, between mortal mind and infinity? What drove the endless inquiry into the void's black depths? Perhaps it was encoded into human nature itself, that persistent impulse to seek out new frontiers—one part pragmatic need, one part insatiable hunger. To glimpse the universe's underlying order was to glimpse, too, a pattern in oneself.
I think I agree with the conclusion Lucas draws himself to here myself -- but I like that you left it as an open-ended question in the end. Even if that was a product of being unfinished, it adds an air of mystery to the story itself that I think fits well with the subject matter.

Genuinely great work, Audre! This makes me feel very excited to read some more of your writing in the future. Question -- would you be comfortable with me moving this to the Writer's Workshop properly? I know some writers can get picky about showing off only their best work properly, so I completely understand if you'd rather not, but this absolutely merits being seen by our regulars in the section as well. All I'd need is a title, and you'd be good to go.

Either way -- thank you for sharing! I'm glad I happened across your blog tonight.

If I may, I think I'd like to review this!! You're a talented writer, Audre -- much more than myself, so there's nothing I could give concrit to in good faith ahaha. I've taken it upon myself to review one story per night around our garden, so I hope you don't mind me chronicling this in my review blog as well!

I can imagine this as a painting, almost... I guess I'll ask, is there anything you've done in particular to cultivate being able to include such detailed descriptions in your prose? I've been wanting to improve on that lately myself, so I thought I'd ask.

I really love this as a career path for one of the Sinnoh protags... excellent choice in my opinion!

Please tell me this is a proper AU you have. I very much would like to read more about all of this! ...Though I guess it might be a tad bit difficult to write about if you're not an astrophysicist yourself, maybe? :chansey:

I think I agree with the conclusion Lucas draws himself to here myself -- but I like that you left it as an open-ended question in the end. Even if that was a product of being unfinished, it adds an air of mystery to the story itself that I think fits well with the subject matter.

Genuinely great work, Audre! This makes me feel very excited to read some more of your writing in the future. Question -- would you be comfortable with me moving this to the Writer's Workshop properly? I know some writers can get picky about showing off only their best work properly, so I completely understand if you'd rather not, but this absolutely merits being seen by our regulars in the section as well. All I'd need is a title, and you'd be good to go.

Either way -- thank you for sharing! I'm glad I happened across your blog tonight.
Hello Lisianthus!

I find myself quite overcome with gratitude for your effusive praise and insightful commentary on my rather fragmented literary endeavor. I must confess, I was not anticipating such a thorough and thoughtful analysis of a piece I consider to be rather subpar in terms of my own writing standards; thus, you can imagine my surprise and delight upon discovering your response!

Regarding your inquiry about sharing this work in the Writers' Workshop, I wholeheartedly give you permission to do so. As I have yet to settle upon a definitive title for this piece, might I suggest the simple "A Contemplation"? I trust this will suffice.

On a tangentially related note, particularly concerning the sharing of my writing on these forums, I would like to state that posting multi-paragraph pieces, even those as brief as this one, has proven to be quite a tedious task for me. As someone who relies on a screen reader to navigate these forums (and, indeed, the Internet at large), I find the process rather cumbersome. Consequently, it is unlikely that I will be sharing a significant amount of my writing on these forums. However, I would like to extend a warm invitation to you and any others interested to explore my work on AO3 in the event you'd like to read much better writing from me (I sincerely hope that this mention does not cross the line into self-promo, as that is certainly not my intention).

Once again, thank you so much for your kind words! You're free to post your review on your blog, should you wish to do so :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom