• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A crazy theory about the MC (So crazy, it might be true) [Poll up]

Could this theory be true?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Avoiding RBY 3.0 doesn't exactly seem to be GF's goal here.
And that’s the problem people are having with these games, even more so by not bothering to add more Pokémon than Gen 1 and a new Mythical. People wanted to see how Game Freak could do Kanto differently through a sequel of some sort. Instead, they’re doubling down on nostalgia appeal and outright making Kanto less than it originally was through oversimplification and appealing to the GO audience.

For some reason, Game Freak seems reluctant to expand and change Kanto and instead opt for retelling the same bare-bones “story” for almost all Kanto-centric games. This is quite a shame, as I was hoping for some more anime references such as Pokémopolis and an optional Boss battle with a giant ancient Gengar and/or Alakazam. :(

For some reason, Game Freak seems reluctant to expand and change Kanto and instead opt for retelling the same bare-bones “story” for almost all Kanto-centric games. This is quite a shame, as I was hoping for some more anime references such as Pokémopolis and an optional Boss battle with a giant ancient Gengar and/or Alakazam. :(

I blame this firmly on the official timeline for the main series games. Trying to keep that straight, and what games are part of what timeline, has likely left them in a position they can't do much with Kanto without risking further muddying the timeline or contradicting game canon in another official game.

I blame this firmly on the official timeline for the main series games. Trying to keep that straight, and what games are part of what timeline, has likely left them in a position they can't do much with Kanto without risking further muddying the timeline or contradicting game canon in another official game.

They managed to change enough in ORAS with the timeline things and similar could be done for Kanto. LGPE too isn’t simple to accommodate in the timeline thing (probably even more than a hypothetical more changed Kanto game).

They managed to change enough in ORAS with the timeline things and similar could be done for Kanto. LGPE too isn’t simple to accommodate in the timeline thing (probably even more than a hypothetical more changed Kanto game).

ORAS is part of an alternate timeline. They have a couple.

More-different-Kanto could be a part of the same (or similar) timeline. LGPE already is debatably in that Mega timeline due to having Mega evolutions.

Probably a different timeline yet again. Being part of the ORAS timeline would, if I remember correctly, contradict canon from ORAS. Might be a bit off. I'll need to replay the games sometime.

Probably a different timeline yet again. Being part of the ORAS timeline would, if I remember correctly, contradict canon from ORAS. Might be a bit off. I'll need to replay the games sometime.

So if it’s a different timeline then GameFreak still runs into the problem you said they tried to avoid... with a more bland Kanto as a product.

Kanto isn’t more different due to complicating timelines doesn’t make sense specially when GameFreak are going head first into alternate universes with Rainbow Rocket and Ultra Space.

So if it’s a different timeline then GameFreak still runs into the problem you said they tried to avoid... with a more bland Kanto as a product.

Kanto isn’t more different due to complicating timelines doesn’t make sense specially when GameFreak are going head first into alternate universes with Rainbow Rocket and Ultra Space.

Eh. The entire alternate universes bit strikes me as them realizing they screwed up with their official timelines and are trying to come up with some way to fix it. Problem is, LGPE isn't intended to be original. Putting this much work into justifying a Go brand game doesn't strike me as something they'll do. So, easier to just stick it in a new timeline and figure out the mess with Gen 8.

Edit: Something I thought about in the shower.

This isn't the first time a game franchise Nintendo has been involved with tried the multiple timelines idea, and promptly screwed it up. The Legend of Zelda series comes to mind. After correcting their first problem that caused fan uproar over continuity issues (they first tried to say the Link from OoT is the same Link from LttP, before finally settling on those being two different Links; note Pokemon is also not the only franchise where continuity has been iffy at best), they ended up with multiple timelines they tried to keep up with. That was... well, after giving up on keeping up with the present and trying Skyward Sword (and spawning further continuity arguments over whether or not the Skyward Sword Zelda is the same Zelda awoken in LoZ 2 and an only half-accepted retcon of LoZ 2), they finally gave up on trying to clean up the mess and unified the timelines in Breath of the Wild.

I kinda see Pokemon possibly ending up treading the same path, given it's suffering some of the same timeline arguments and issues with keeping timelines straight.

Last edited:
By why can’t they do a Kanto game after RBY? How come Game Freak is limiting themselves to the same regional Dex with Kanto when the remakes of other regions updated their regional dexes with cross-gen evolutions? It’s not like we haven’t recently got a taste of classic Kanto via the Virtual Console. At this point, it just seems like Game Freak’s playing things too safe…

By why can’t they do a Kanto game after RBY? How come Game Freak is limiting themselves to the same regional Dex with Kanto when the remakes of other regions updated their regional dexes with cross-gen evolutions? It’s not like we haven’t recently got a taste of classic Kanto via the Virtual Console. At this point, it just seems like Game Freak’s playing things too safe…

They actually did a Kanto remake with an updated Dex at one point; Fire Red and Leaf Green. Just, the reason why they really can't do a Kanto game after GSC (remember, those games featured Kanto as well) is figuring out how that fits within the current mess of a timeline. Or even which timeline to place it in. It's the same nightmare scenario that forced the Legend of Zelda series to do a soft reboot with Breath of the Wild.

How do you know if it's a reboot?

They stated it comes at the end of all the timelines that resulted from OoT, has the starting events of Breath of the Wild's timeline ten thousand years before the game began, and the original events involving Ganon happening 100 years before the game started. That's a pretty classic soft reboot.

Just, the reason why they really can't do a Kanto game after GSC (remember, those games featured Kanto as well) is figuring out how that fits within the current mess of a timeline.
a) There wouldn't be any conflicting events with the games occurring after GSC.

b) Kallyle's not asking for a different sequence of events, just an expanded dex. That could be done in a reboot just like FRLG did.

Or even which timeline to place it in.
I seriously doubt Game Freak is that worried about consistency.

a) There wouldn't be any conflicting events with the games occurring after GSC.

b) Kallyle's not asking for a different sequence of events, just an expanded dex. That could be done in a reboot just like FRLG did.

Game Freak can't even keep straight whether or not the Master Ball was still in the prototype stage during RBY, despite it being part of the plot involving Team Rocket (it's the entire reason they raided Silph Co.). There will be conflicting events.

I seriously doubt Game Freak is that worried about consistency.

They're worried about how much we'll complain. So, there is some consistency worries :p

Game Freak can't even keep straight whether or not the Master Ball was still in the prototype stage during RBY, despite it being part of the plot involving Team Rocket (it's the entire reason they raided Silph Co.). There will be conflicting events.
What part of RBY contradicts this?
They're worried about how much we'll complain. So, there is some consistency worries :p
They're worried about how much we'll complain, but they still took out 650+ Pokemon, held items, and abilities?

What part of RBY contradicts this?

Nothing. It's other games that supposedly happen at the same time as RBY that contradict this.

They're worried about how much we'll complain, but they still took out 650+ Pokemon, held items, and abilities?

I place that under "we're complaining more than they thought we would" and "they were hoping announcing Gen 8 for 2019 would stop the complaints and were surprised when it didn't."

I mean, I love Game Freak, but after 22 years I have to admit they can be a bit clueless about how to handle their fanbase at times.

Nothing. It's other games that supposedly happen at the same time as RBY that contradict this.
What officially declares RSE to take place at the same time as RBY? The only thing I'm finding is a line from Steven in HGSS, which only mentions RSE happening before HGSS. RBY/FRLG are three years before GSC/HGSS, there's time for the Master Ball to have been developed and RSE to occur.
I place that under "we're complaining more than they thought we would" and "they were hoping announcing Gen 8 for 2019 would stop the complaints and were surprised when it didn't."
They didn't expect complaints in removing several major aspects of gameplay, but they fully expect complaints about keeping a timeline straight, to the point where they'd forego gameplay elements to make the timeline easier to manage?
I mean, I love Game Freak, but after 22 years I have to admit they can be a bit clueless about how to handle their fanbase at times.
Certainly, but this is usually from ignoring fan reception, not from caring too much about potential complaints.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom