• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A crazy theory about the MC (So crazy, it might be true) [Poll up]

Could this theory be true?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
What officially declares RSE to take place at the same time as RBY? The only thing I'm finding is a line from Steven in HGSS, which only mentions RSE happening before HGSS. RBY/FRLG are three years before GSC/HGSS, there's time for the Master Ball to have been developed and RSE to occur.

It's, last I checked, the official Game Freak timeline. Please don't make me dig up the old timeline/temporal mechanics arguments I've been in...

They didn't expect complaints in removing several major aspects of gameplay, but they fully expect complaints about keeping a timeline straight, to the point where they'd forego gameplay elements to make the timeline easier to manage?

Yeah. They didn't expect complaints on lacking major main-series aspects of gameplay in a Pokemon Go game to crop up; only a few major aspects of gameplay from that subfranchise have actually been removed. And given they have their own official timeline for the games after all of the timeline arguments that cropped up, I would say they care if only to save themselves headaches.

Certainly, but this is usually from ignoring fan reception, not from caring too much about potential complaints.

Or from the ways they've tried to fix complaints at times.

It's, last I checked, the official Game Freak timeline.
Are you referring to this? Twitter / matsumiyan: 赤緑≒RS→金銀≒DPPt→BW→BW2≒XY ...
It's true that this says RS takes place around the same time as RBY, but this is a very loose timeline-Matsumiya is using the symbol for "approximately equal" and says in the replies that there's no set time between DP and BW and BW2 and XY. It's not impossible to imagine Silph Co finished the prototype by the time it made its way to the Lottery Corner in RSE-they've already got a working model, after all.
Please don't make me dig up the old timeline/temporal mechanics arguments I've been in...
Nobody's making you do anything, but you can't expect people to believe you without proof.
Yeah. They didn't expect complaints on lacking major main-series aspects of gameplay in a Pokemon Go game to crop up; only a few major aspects of gameplay from that subfranchise have actually been removed.
It's not just a Pokemon Go game, though-it's been officially referred to as a main series game.
And given they have their own official timeline for the games after all of the timeline arguments that cropped up, I would say they care if only to save themselves headaches.
You just said they contradicted themselves with the Master Ball in RSE, only three games into a timeline. If that's really the case, I doubt
Or from the ways they've tried to fix complaints at times.
Yes, but I doubt they're going to start on timeline complaints before more common, simpler complaints like difficulty levels or skipping tutorials.

Are you referring to this? Twitter / matsumiyan: 赤緑≒RS→金銀≒DPPt→BW→BW2≒XY ...
It's true that this says RS takes place around the same time as RBY, but this is a very loose timeline-Matsumiya is using the symbol for "approximately equal" and says in the replies that there's no set time between DP and BW and BW2 and XY. It's not impossible to imagine Silph Co finished the prototype by the time it made its way to the Lottery Corner in RSE-they've already got a working model, after all.

Nobody's making you do anything, but you can't expect people to believe you without proof.

Nah, you covered it. And, there comes a question of how Silph Co. would have time to put enough of them into production and get them ready in under a year from only a working prototype and a set of plans; remember, there's only three years between RBY and GSC. Anything more than a year would be either between the two games or approximately equal to GSC.

It's not just a Pokemon Go game, though-it's been officially referred to as a main series game.

That uses Pokemon Go mechanics, is named after Pokemon Go, and is advertised as only having Pokemon Go connectivity. It's kinda hard to argue that's not a Pokemon Go game. It may be considered main series, but that doesn't change the basic mechanics.

You just said they contradicted themselves with the Master Ball in RSE, only three games into a timeline. If that's really the case, I doubt

I doubt they were prepared for people to pay that much attention to the timeline.

Yes, but I doubt they're going to start on timeline complaints before more common, simpler complaints like difficulty levels or skipping tutorials.

That's only if they want to solve those simpler complaints. To date, they've shown no interest in trying on things like skipping tutorials. They've shown far more interest in the timeline arguments, but that's not exactly hard to do in this case.

And, there comes a question of how Silph Co. would have time to put enough of them into production and get them ready in under a year from only a working prototype and a set of plans; remember, there's only three years between RBY and GSC. Anything more than a year would be either between the two games or approximately equal to GSC.
Why wouldn't they be able to? They're a big company that's mass-produced plenty of other items.

That uses Pokemon Go mechanics, is named after Pokemon Go, and is advertised as only having Pokemon Go connectivity. It's kinda hard to argue that's not a Pokemon Go game. It may be considered main series, but that doesn't change the basic mechanics.
I'm not saying that it's not a Pokemon Go game, just that being a Pokemon Go game doesn't mean it has to remove main series mechanics. Let's Go are including the turn-based battles, for example, as opposed to Go's battle system. And even if they were discarding mechanics in favor of being closer to Go, Go has Pokemon up to Gen 3-restricting the dex to just 152 Pokemon is taking away a feature from both the main series and Go.

I doubt they were prepared for people to pay that much attention to the timeline.
That's only if they want to solve those simpler complaints. To date, they've shown no interest in trying on things like skipping tutorials. They've shown far more interest in the timeline arguments, but that's not exactly hard to do in this case.
They don't expect people to pay attention to details in the timeline, but they'd make large, noticeable changes like preventing certain Pokemon from being transferred in or removing held items and abilities to make a game 'fix the timeline'? And they did this out of concern about fans complaining about timeline confusion, but they also just don't care about other complaints?

Why wouldn't they be able to? They're a big company that's mass-produced plenty of other items.

Mass-production takes time to set up, and Silph would still be recovering from the attack by Team Rocket and resulting disruption in production. Getting their existing products back into normal production would be the first priority.

I'm not saying that it's not a Pokemon Go game, just that being a Pokemon Go game doesn't mean it has to remove main series mechanics. Let's Go are including the turn-based battles, for example, as opposed to Go's battle system. And even if they were discarding mechanics in favor of being closer to Go, Go has Pokemon up to Gen 3-restricting the dex to just 152 Pokemon is taking away a feature from both the main series and Go.

Name a main series game that doesn't have a regional dex restricted far below the total number of Pokemon. LGPE just appears to not have a national dex or access to later gen Pokemon, which goes into what I said about "a few" being removed rather than none.

They don't expect people to pay attention to details in the timeline, but they'd make large, noticeable changes like preventing certain Pokemon from being transferred in or removing held items and abilities to make a game 'fix the timeline'? And they did this out of concern about fans complaining about timeline confusion, but they also just don't care about other complaints?

I've been trying to figure out where you got the idea for the bolded part for a couple posts, and now I have to ask. What did I state that gave you that idea? Can you provide me the quote I used? I'm getting a feeling either I seriously misworded something, or something was misread, and I'd like to clear that up before we continue so that both of us are having the same conversation.

Mass-production takes time to set up, and Silph would still be recovering from the attack by Team Rocket and resulting disruption in production. Getting their existing products back into normal production would be the first priority.
Team Rocket's attack is on the office building, not any manufacturing plant. Their production remains just fine during the attack-Poke Balls are still in unlimited stock throughout the region.
Name a main series game that doesn't have a regional dex restricted far below the total number of Pokemon.
Again, the issue's not the regional dex, it's having the Pokemon prevented from being transferred in, especially for a game where Go transfer is one of the major new features.
LGPE just appears to not have a national dex or access to later gen Pokemon, which goes into what I said about "a few" being removed rather than none.
600+ Pokemon is just "a few"?
I've been trying to figure out where you got the idea for the bolded part for a couple posts, and now I have to ask. What did I state that gave you that idea? Can you provide me the quote I used? I'm getting a feeling either I seriously misworded something, or something was misread, and I'd like to clear that up before we continue so that both of us are having the same conversation.
These posts were what gave me that impression:
I blame this firmly on the official timeline for the main series games. Trying to keep that straight, and what games are part of what timeline, has likely left them in a position they can't do much with Kanto without risking further muddying the timeline or contradicting game canon in another official game.
Eh. The entire alternate universes bit strikes me as them realizing they screwed up with their official timelines and are trying to come up with some way to fix it. Problem is, LGPE isn't intended to be original. Putting this much work into justifying a Go brand game doesn't strike me as something they'll do. So, easier to just stick it in a new timeline and figure out the mess with Gen 8.
It seemed to me that you were saying that LGPE removed some of the new features to avoid having conflicts with the timelines of other games.

Team Rocket's attack is on the office building, not any manufacturing plant. Their production remains just fine during the attack-Poke Balls are still in unlimited stock throughout the region.

This would still heavily disrupt business, since any adjustments to manufacturing needing approval would be unable to be completed. This would include any expensive repairs, retooling and buying machinery for a new product, a lot of future advertising, and so on. This could also even potentially disrupt the manufacturing by disrupting paying any workers in the plants. Might not affecting existing lines, but all of that combined would make it far harder to get a new product out the door.

Again, the issue's not the regional dex, it's having the Pokemon prevented from being transferred in, especially for a game where Go transfer is one of the major new features.

This could easily be regional dex-related. They might not have known how to implement a limited regional dex in a Go-based game, just due to having never tried it before and having run across unexpected problems. This does happen, sometimes.

Or it could be that because it's supposed to be RBY, they limited it only to the original regional dex for flavor purposes :/

600+ Pokemon is just "a few"?

In terms of features? It's not even that; it's "one."

These posts were what gave me that impression:

It seemed to me that you were saying that LGPE removed some of the new features to avoid having conflicts with the timelines of other games.

Ah! No. That was discussing plot-related stuff and how Kanto is effectively in permanent stasis as far as story goes.

This would still heavily disrupt business, since any adjustments to manufacturing needing approval would be unable to be completed. This would include any expensive repairs, retooling and buying machinery for a new product, a lot of future advertising, and so on. This could also even potentially disrupt the manufacturing by disrupting paying any workers in the plants. Might not affecting existing lines, but all of that combined would make it far harder to get a new product out the door.
There was no damage done to the building, so there's no need for repairs. They already have the necessary machinery to make one Master Ball, so while it would take time to make a massive amount of them, it's not impossible that they made a few that were distributed to the lottery. (The only way to get one beside the hideout in RSE) And there's no advertising for any of the other Poke Balls, why would they

This could easily be regional dex-related. They might not have known how to implement a limited regional dex in a Go-based game, just due to having never tried it before and having run across unexpected problems. This does happen, sometimes.
There's no reason being Go-based would have affected how the dex worked. A different catching system and removing abilities and held items are all changes entirely unrelated to how the game recognizes that the player has seen/caught a species of Pokemon.

Ah! No. That was discussing plot-related stuff and how Kanto is effectively in permanent stasis as far as story goes.
Oh, that makes sense!

There was no damage done to the building, so there's no need for repairs. They already have the necessary machinery to make one Master Ball, so while it would take time to make a massive amount of them, it's not impossible that they made a few that were distributed to the lottery. (The only way to get one beside the hideout in RSE) And there's no advertising for any of the other Poke Balls, why would they

Normal repairs for worn-out machinery, not repairs from attack damage. The issue of making multiple Master Balls assumes the prototype wasn't made by hand; very likely, the first few prototype versions would be with worries about how to mass produce it coming after they have a working model that meets expectations. And there's no advertising that we see, but there's been hints throughout the games we are not seeing a lot that happens.

There's no reason being Go-based would have affected how the dex worked. A different catching system and removing abilities and held items are all changes entirely unrelated to how the game recognizes that the player has seen/caught a species of Pokemon.

Plenty of reasons, mostly related to code and how they could have unexpectedly programmed themselves into a corner at some point. Go wasn't exactly made with the idea that it could be adapted as LGPE is doing, so even with the alterations there could be unexpected coding conflicts that cropped up. That is assuming they didn't just pick their Pokemon choices based purely on aesthetics.

Normal repairs for worn-out machinery, not repairs from attack damage.
It's possible, but if Silph Co still needed to repair machines necessary for a project like this, then either they put off repairing needed equipment for a new product, or the machines started to need repairs just after the attack. Both are possibilities, but I wouldn't consider them the most likely option.
The issue of making multiple Master Balls assumes the prototype wasn't made by hand; very likely, the first few prototype versions would be with worries about how to mass produce it coming after they have a working model that meets expectations.
If there was only one prototype Master Ball made, why give it to a trainer without even asking for data back on it?
And there's no advertising that we see, but there's been hints throughout the games we are not seeing a lot that happens.
That's definitely true, but it'd be a bit strange for a Pokemon trainer, probably the biggest customer base for Poke Balls, to travel through the region, participate in the region's championship/island trial, stop in multiple Poke Marts, and still never see an advertisement for them.
Plenty of reasons, mostly related to code and how they could have unexpectedly programmed themselves into a corner at some point.
It'd be pretty hard to code themselves into a corner on a section of the game that's just listing Pokemon and isn't even being altered, especially after programming it on three other consoles. And even if they did end up at a point where a regional dex was somehow impossible, why not just use the national dex?
Go wasn't exactly made with the idea that it could be adapted as LGPE is doing, so even with the alterations there could be unexpected coding conflicts that cropped up.
Go's additions are the catching system, the candy system, and transferring Pokemon from Go. It's possible that they could have new conflicts in those areas, but there's no reason for any of these to have problems with a regional dex, because dex numbers don't affect them any of these features.

It's possible, but if Silph Co still needed to repair machines necessary for a project like this, then either they put off repairing needed equipment for a new product, or the machines started to need repairs just after the attack. Both are possibilities, but I wouldn't consider them the most likely option.

Depends on how long the Team Rocket siege of Silph Co. lasted. We don't have enough information.

If there was only one prototype Master Ball made, why give it to a trainer without even asking for data back on it?

They would have already had the design notes, including the blueprints, for the prototype. There wouldn't be any harm in giving it out for field testing by someone trustworthy, since they could just send their team in to hand-build another for production purposes. Plus, the valuable field data from it being used could allow for incorporating any necessary corrections to how it works before it's put into production, in addition to any already-spotted flaws being corrected. In addition, it's a relatively cheap way to reward someone who just saved your company while still having the reward feel important.

That's definitely true, but it'd be a bit strange for a Pokemon trainer, probably the biggest customer base for Poke Balls, to travel through the region, participate in the region's championship/island trial, stop in multiple Poke Marts, and still never see an advertisement for them.

I found it weird there are obviously vehicles in the series, but no place to drive them. I guess it's a case of game and time limitations for production?

It'd be pretty hard to code themselves into a corner on a section of the game that's just listing Pokemon and isn't even being altered, especially after programming it on three other consoles. And even if they did end up at a point where a regional dex was somehow impossible, why not just use the national dex?

Go's additions are the catching system, the candy system, and transferring Pokemon from Go. It's possible that they could have new conflicts in those areas, but there's no reason for any of these to have problems with a regional dex, because dex numbers don't affect them any of these features.

Here's another question: Why are the transfers involving Pokemon Go only one way for LGPE? And why is there still no answer on if LGPE will work with Pokemon Bank? Maybe it's just me, but there's something wonky somewhere for both of these questions to be legitimate.

Here's another question: Why are the transfers involving Pokemon Go only one way for LGPE?
Probably because there are more stats to take care of in LGPE than Go. Transferring from Go to LGPE can assign new values to those previously absent stats but they probably didn’t figure out how to have the Pokemon maintain the newly assigned values forever after being transferred again to GO and then back to LGPE.

And this still doesn’t explain the limited Dex since they could just do what they did for the Kanto Pokemon for Generations 2-4 since they’re present in GO.

Plus, the valuable field data from it being used could allow for incorporating any necessary corrections to how it works before it's put into production, in addition to any already-spotted flaws being corrected.
It would definitely be useful, but Silph Co never gives any indication that they got any data from the player using it. (if they even used it at all, since it's not required in a playthrough)
Here's another question: Why are the transfers involving Pokemon Go only one way for LGPE? And why is there still no answer on if LGPE will work with Pokemon Bank? Maybe it's just me, but there's something wonky somewhere for both of these questions to be legitimate.
There's definitely wonky stuff with the Go transfer. It's because Go Pokemon data is stored with different variables than main series Pokemon data. Things like EVs, IVs in the main series format, held items, four moveslots, and OTs aren't saved in Go, because they don't use them. This isn't a problem for sending Pokemon over to LGPE, because most of these things will just be created when the Pokemon is obtained. (the new IVs will be made based on the Pokemon's Go IVs, OT will be the player, EV will be gained through gameplay, new moves will be learned, etc) But if an LGPE Pokemon is sent to Go, then there's no place to store these new points of data, meaning they'd be erased from the Pokemon. On top of this, there's also Go's leveling system, which only goes up to 40. (having a Pokemon come back leveled down would be pretty frustrating)

The lack of news might just be GF being slow with information, but since LGPE doesn't include data for the other gen Pokemon, we do know for sure that they won't be able to be transferred up, whether or not LGPE are bank compatible. (That's because of Game Freak's choice to restrict the dex, though, and not the cause of it)

It would definitely be useful, but Silph Co never gives any indication that they got any data from the player using it. (if they even used it at all, since it's not required in a playthrough)

Well, we don't know how the Pokeballs actually work or what about them allows them to tie into the storage system, so... I would assume any data gathered is automatic, as an extension of their other functions.

There's definitely wonky stuff with the Go transfer. It's because Go Pokemon data is stored with different variables than main series Pokemon data. Things like EVs, IVs in the main series format, held items, four moveslots, and OTs aren't saved in Go, because they don't use them. This isn't a problem for sending Pokemon over to LGPE, because most of these things will just be created when the Pokemon is obtained. (the new IVs will be made based on the Pokemon's Go IVs, OT will be the player, EV will be gained through gameplay, new moves will be learned, etc) But if an LGPE Pokemon is sent to Go, then there's no place to store these new points of data, meaning they'd be erased from the Pokemon. On top of this, there's also Go's leveling system, which only goes up to 40. (having a Pokemon come back leveled down would be pretty frustrating)

The lack of news might just be GF being slow with information, but since LGPE doesn't include data for the other gen Pokemon, we do know for sure that they won't be able to be transferred up, whether or not LGPE are bank compatible. (That's because of Game Freak's choice to restrict the dex, though, and not the cause of it)

Probably because there are more stats to take care of in LGPE than Go. Transferring from Go to LGPE can assign new values to those previously absent stats but they probably didn’t figure out how to have the Pokemon maintain the newly assigned values forever after being transferred again to GO and then back to LGPE.

And this still doesn’t explain the limited Dex since they could just do what they did for the Kanto Pokemon for Generations 2-4 since they’re present in GO.

There's a few problems with this:

1) Can Pokemon go above level 40 in LGPE? I've been trying to track down info on that, and haven't found anything yet. I just might be using bad search terms.

2) Transferring pokemon between games where one game does not have the stats has already been proven technologically possible in the core series; this came up as early as RSE and FRLG, and ORAS had a similar issue crop up. So, while it would be frustrating to some degree, it hasn't been a technological hurdle for years.

3) We're not clear on the coding differences in a dex for a core series game and a dex for a Go series game. Is it the same database structure? An entirely different structure? Does LGPE simply pick one of the structures, or hybridize them? We don't know anywhere near enough about how the coding side of this works to be able to say that there isn't a technological aspect involved that simply doesn't come up in either the core series or Pokemon Go before this. This is the first time they've shown signs of crossing between the two, after all; something was bound to go unexpectedly wrong. This is likely why there is a one-way trip involved.

4) Was the dex restricted just because of it being a Yellow remake, or was it restricted for other reasons as well? We know they are including Alolan forms and mega evolution, so obviously some effort to include later-gen data was made. Just restricting it simply to Kanto pokemon doesn't quite stand up as the only reason when you consider the Alolan pokemon showing up, even discounting this as just another timeline when mega evolution already was known. So far, the majority of the argument that the dex is purely based on choices they made about how to restrict it relies entirely on assuming there are not other factors involved as well.

I'm not saying that Game Freak necessarily made a good decision here; I've made it clear earlier I'm unhappy with RBY 3.0 as well.

1) Can Pokemon go above level 40 in LGPE? I've been trying to track down info on that, and haven't found anything yet. I just might be using bad search terms.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7a9e6z/the_new_max_level_for_pok%C3%A9mon_excluding_exploits/

2) Transferring pokemon between games where one game does not have the stats has already been proven technologically possible in the core series; this came up as early as RSE and FRLG, and ORAS had a similar issue crop up. So, while it would be frustrating to some degree, it hasn't been a technological hurdle for years.
Are you referring to the contest conditions? Because data for that is still stored when Pokemon are transferred to other games-we know because a Feebas with its beauty raised will still evolve without a Prism Scale when transferred to another game.
3) We're not clear on the coding differences in a dex for a core series game and a dex for a Go series game. Is it the same database structure? An entirely different structure? Does LGPE simply pick one of the structures, or hybridize them? We don't know anywhere near enough about how the coding side of this works to be able to say that there isn't a technological aspect involved that simply doesn't come up in either the core series or Pokemon Go before this. This is the first time they've shown signs of crossing between the two, after all; something was bound to go unexpectedly wrong. This is likely why there is a one-way trip involved.
The dex structure is just assigning a number to a Pokemon species for a list. There's no reason there should be a major difference between coding it in a main series game and coding it in Go, and even if there was, why go to the extra trouble to create a new dex system that can't do something the old dex system could do?

Most of the major gameplay elements of LGPE aren't based around Go's code-the battle system, stats, Pokemon storage, and traveling through the region are all main series elements, and LGPE adds totally new things as well, like overworld Pokemon and Pokemon customization. Even the things that are taken from Go still have modifications, like the catching system allowing for co-op play. So why would Game Freak be so adamant they use a code that does less just because it might be similar to Go's internal data?

There's no reason to assume the one-way trip has any connection to the lack of a regional dex. There have been one-way transfers in plenty of previous games, which all had their own regional dex.
4) Was the dex restricted just because of it being a Yellow remake, or was it restricted for other reasons as well? We know they are including Alolan forms and mega evolution, so obviously some effort to include later-gen data was made. Just restricting it simply to Kanto pokemon doesn't quite stand up as the only reason when you consider the Alolan pokemon showing up, even discounting this as just another timeline when mega evolution already was known. So far, the majority of the argument that the dex is purely based on choices they made about how to restrict it relies entirely on assuming there are not other factors involved as well.

“We started with the 151 and I think because of Pokémon Go, those pokémon were introduced to a much wider audience than before,” Masuda says. “I kind of feel like those original 151, they kind of represent Pokémon as a whole. Those are the ones I would like kids to experience for the first time.”
Two new Pokemon RPGs are coming to the Switch this November

Okay, fine. Can Pokemon in LGPE level up to above Level 39.5?

Are you referring to the contest conditions? Because data for that is still stored when Pokemon are transferred to other games-we know because a Feebas with its beauty raised will still evolve without a Prism Scale when transferred to another game.

Actually, I was referencing the wrong games; I should have been referencing RBY and GSC. Remember, GSC introduced a new stat not present in RBY.

My mistake for using the wrong reference. I need to better organize that list.

The dex structure is just assigning a number to a Pokemon species for a list. There's no reason there should be a major difference between coding it in a main series game and coding it in Go, and even if there was, why go to the extra trouble to create a new dex system that can't do something the old dex system could do?

Most of the major gameplay elements of LGPE aren't based around Go's code-the battle system, stats, Pokemon storage, and traveling through the region are all main series elements, and LGPE adds totally new things as well, like overworld Pokemon and Pokemon customization. Even the things that are taken from Go still have modifications, like the catching system allowing for co-op play. So why would Game Freak be so adamant they use a code that does less just because it might be similar to Go's internal data?

There's no reason to assume the one-way trip has any connection to the lack of a regional dex. There have been one-way transfers in plenty of previous games, which all had their own regional dex.

Not entirely just assigning a number; it also assigns the same number to different forms of the same Pokemon. Depending on how the array is structured, and with the differences in how pokemon are released in Go and the main series, these two games could have entirely different, completely-incompatible internal lists that are called upon for results by the existing dex database. In order to translate between the two, you might need a middleman system that has qualities of both that is designed to handle the reorganizing of data coming from one platform for the structure of another; LGPE strikes me as possibly being a game designed to test that middleman system in preparation for trade between Go and the core series in future.

Remember, Masuda did state they considered inability to trade between one game and another as being a mistake when talking about the features of LGPE and whether or not it is compatible with Gen 8.

Okay. Where does he state the game will be limited only to the 151 for the entire time, including after the Elite Four are beaten? There is no reason to keep such a limitation in place for the post-game unless there is an unexpected technical issue, especially since it wouldn't be difficult to patch in the new models through the Switch update service.

Okay, fine. Can Pokemon in LGPE level up to above Level 39.5?
Yep.

View: https://youtu.be/nxa43LAYc60?t=43

Actually, I was referencing the wrong games; I should have been referencing RBY and GSC. Remember, GSC introduced a new stat not present in RBY.

My mistake for using the wrong reference. I need to better organize that list.
This was because Gen 2 still stored EVs and IVs as just a "special" stat rather than two separate bits of data. ( Statistic - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia )
Not entirely just assigning a number; it also assigns the same number to different forms of the same Pokemon. Depending on how the array is structured, and with the differences in how pokemon are released in Go and the main series, these two games could have entirely different, completely-incompatible internal lists that are called upon for results by the existing dex database. In order to translate between the two, you might need a middleman system that has qualities of both that is designed to handle the reorganizing of data coming from one platform for the structure of another; LGPE strikes me as possibly being a game designed to test that middleman system in preparation for trade between Go and the core series in future.
They're using the same national dex numbering, and it's been confirmed that Go and the main series games use the same asset numbering.

View: https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/1044197383154946048?s=21

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcApKx08qIE&feature=youtu.be

What other list would they be using? And why would they be using it when they have two other lists that are perfectly compatible?
Remember, Masuda did state they considered inability to trade between one game and another as being a mistake when talking about the features of LGPE and whether or not it is compatible with Gen 8.
He did, but Mew's still blocked from being transferred from Go into LGPE, so considering it a mistake doesn't seem to be enough to keep Game Freak from doing it again.
Okay. Where does he state the game will be limited only to the 151 for the entire time, including after the Elite Four are beaten?
If Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! are based on Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, will they have only the original 151 Pokemon? For example, will it not include more than the three original evolutions of Eevee?

Junichi Masuda (Game Freak director): In general, it’s the original 151, but as we just showed with Alolan Exeggutor, some of the Alolan variants will also appear.
Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! announced for Switch - Gematsu

The official site also specifies only Kanto Pokemon for Go transfers.
Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region that you have caught in Pokémon GO can be brought into these two new Nintendo Switch games.
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! | Connect with Pokémon GO

There is no reason to keep such a limitation in place for the post-game unless there is an unexpected technical issue, especially since it wouldn't be difficult to patch in the new models through the Switch update service.
That's partly why people are annoyed at this choice.[/quote]

He did, but Mew's still blocked from being transferred from Go into LGPE, so considering it a mistake doesn't seem to be enough to keep Game Freak from doing it again.

That's because Mew is available from the special pre-order pokeball controller. It's a pure marketing move to sell a more expensive product.

As for the rest... I'll admit I am wrong. Thank you for the information! I can't believe I didn't find that level indicator before now. I should have been looking more at screenshots.

This only makes me more annoyed at their decisions on LGPE.

As for the rest... I'll admit I am wrong. Thank you for the information! I can't believe I didn't find that level indicator before now. I should have been looking more at screenshots.
It was still a reasonable theory to have! (And really, the more logical reason of the two-nobody could fault you for thinking Game Freak would base their restrictions on hardware issues rather than personal favoritism)

No problem! It's tricky to find, LGPE playthroughs seem to be really scattered!

That's because Mew is available from the special pre-order pokeball controller. It's a pure marketing move to sell a more expensive product.

This only makes me more annoyed at their decisions on LGPE.
Yeah. At this point LGPE seems to be solely intended as a nostalgic cash-grab.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom