• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

a cute li'l morsel

Rainami

beseech the stars
Reaction score

on sunday, I brought a new friend home from petsmart. She's a roborovski dwarf hamster and her name is Morsela. The name comes from both morsel (referring to her size, duh) and morpeko. Morpeko's recent reveal is actually a lot of what inspired me to buy a hamster, since it's such a great pokemon and because it reminded me of my affinity for hamsters. The reason I have a thing for hammys is because I had one when I was a little girl; she was pure white and her name was hopchu.

before I talk more about morsela, have some pictures of her

aTcKlB2.jpg
yhQJb8k.jpg
ooVsHYP.jpg
O0DWGNk.jpg
AZFTTG0.jpg
SAA3oP7.jpg
Pdhhgyr.jpg
gUco8TN.jpg
zrLPUTM.jpg

so far she's still very nervous, although I think she's gradually growing used to me. She usually runs away from my hand but she does sometimes let me pet her. I try to give her space since she's still not totally used to me. I know it'll take time, but when the day where she trusts and loves me arrives, I'll be soooooooo happy. I know I can be a gr8 friend and mommy to her.

in case anyone feels like saying it; yes, I know that her current home is a little on the small side for a hamster. Due to amazon being stupid, I actually received two of the same model of cage (it only cost $16 so w/e), and when the connector arrives I'll connect the two cages. In about a month, a purple and pink cage will arrive, which I will replace the second cage with. I'll take a picture of that cage when it gets here.

there have been a few scares since I got morsela. The first one was right after I got her; I took her out of the cardboard carrying box the pet store gave, but she squirmed out of my fingers and got lost in my room for about 30 minutes. I was so scared I lost her that I almost cried (it takes a lot to make me cry; I'm dead inside), but eventually I found the little rascal. She's also had issues where, once in a while, her hamster wheel will fling her to the top of the wheel and she'll fall down. I get so worried when I see this happen, but based on what I've looked up on the internet, this doesn't seem to hurt hamsters much/at all, and she'll get more used to the wheel with time. Speaking of her hamster wheel, I'm going to get her a new wheel soon. Her current wheel had holes on the running area, which I didn't want her li'l feet to get stuck in, so I taped them with duct tape. My mom pointed out that duct tape could be toxic to her if she eats it, and even though I haven't ever seen her gnawing at the tape, I ordered a new wheel a few days ago. It's not orange or white so it doesn't match the rest of the cage very well, which sucks, but safety is more important than aesthetics....usually.

the most recent scare happened last night. As you can see in one of the photos, my mom fed her some slices of almond. I assumed almond would be fine for her, but after my mom left and I looked it up, I found that certain types of almonds can be dangerous for hamsters. Apparently bitter almonds contain a form of cyanide which can kill hamsters, and sweet almonds are fine. I tasted one of the almonds and it tasted a bit sweet, and I forced my sister to try one too and she said it was kind of sweet too. Morsela is still alive now, so I'm assuming she's fine and that it was just a false alarm. Regardless, I'll have to be even more careful to confirm what I'm feeding her is safe.

in regards to the hamster I had a long time ago, hopchu....in hindsight, I think I did a somewhat poor job of taking care of her. I was so young at the time, so I can hardly blame myself....but I vow on not making the same mistakes with morsela.

that's about all I have to say about morsela. I might post some more pictures and stuff l8r.

She’s adorable!!! :love::bulbaLove::love::bulbaLove: Look at her chewing away!

Ugh, that is scary. I’m glad you found her and she’s alright.

I’m certain she’ll come to love you soon. It took a while before my cats came to trust me but now they’re all over me. And I’m certain you’ll be a good hamster mom! :giggle:

so far she's still very nervous, although I think she's gradually growing used to me. She usually runs away from my hand but she does sometimes let me pet her. I try to give her space since she's still not totally used to me. I know it'll take time, but when the day where she trusts and loves me arrives, I'll be soooooooo happy. I know I can be a gr8 friend and mommy to her.

in regards to the hamster I had a long time ago, hopchu....in hindsight, I think I did a somewhat poor job of taking care of her. I was so young at the time, so I can hardly blame myself....but I vow on not making the same mistakes with morsela.

I'm sure that this time, you'll be a much better nanay than you were when you were a li'l kiddy.

Speaking of her hamster wheel, I'm going to get her a new wheel soon. Her current wheel had holes on the running area, which I didn't want her li'l feet to get stuck in, so I taped them with duct tape. My mom pointed out that duct tape could be toxic to her if she eats it, and even though I haven't ever seen her gnawing at the tape, I ordered a new wheel a few days ago. It's not orange or white so it doesn't match the rest of the cage very well, which sucks, but safety is more important than aesthetics....usually.

I'm not sure if hamsters would even find a loose string of adhesive material palatable looking; but hopefully she wouldn't suffer from that... That's a nasty way to go....

I regret that I don't have much to say here since we've talked about most of the subjects/event within this blog, but I dearly hope you and little Morsela will have quite the loving time together.

@MunchlaxKing88 @Ebail @TRNatalie @Chidamari Sketch @MegaPod

thanks guys~

I played some relaxing hamster music for her last night, and notably, she let me pet her for longer than usual when it was playing. Also of note, like an hour later, while I was playing rse music from alexa, she was more resistant to being pet. I think I'll try to play hamster music for her every day. I sure hope she enjoys it.

this is what I was playing, if anybody was wondering

I think it's kind of soothing, and last I checked, I'm a human

she was also laying on her back once while drinking water last night, which was so adorable....I tried to get a picture of it but she changed positions before I could.

@MunchlaxKing88 @Ebail @TRNatalie @Chidamari Sketch @MegaPod

thanks guys~

I played some relaxing hamster music for her last night, and notably, she let me pet her for longer than usual when it was playing. Also of note, like an hour later, while I was playing rse music from alexa, she was more resistant to being pet. I think I'll try to play hamster music for her every day. I sure hope she enjoys it.

this is what I was playing, if anybody was wondering

I think it's kind of soothing, and last I checked, I'm a human

she was also laying on her back once while drinking water last night, which was so adorable....I tried to get a picture of it but she changed positions before I could.

Music intended to becalm hamsters, huh... Interesting. The choir itself is pretty serene, too.

She's really cute!!

I'm glad to hear she's getting used to you! It takes time, but she'll grow more and more used to you and let you pet her more and hold her more. The robos are super small too, and they're super hard to handle. It also freaks me out when they run on their wheel and then fly off because I get worried that they get hurt, but then they're like "nah i'm good, let's do it again!!" They're tough little creatures, haha. Just gotta be patient with her!

I don't want to scare you or make you worry, but she might try to gnaw at the duct tape. Hamsters are chewers, but I feel like if you have something else in there for her to chew on, she'll focus more on that than the duct tape. I also feel like if she did gnaw at it, she'd taste it, find it doesn't taste good, and be deterred from it that way too. If there's any loose strings on the duct tape, I'd cut those off so she can't chew on them and ingest them, but I feel like she'll be fine. Just gotta keep an eye on her till that new wheel comes in! Hopefully it gets there sooner rather than later so you don't have to worry too much about it!

As for the almonds, I feel like there might be some hamster-safe almonds for her to eat, so you don't have to worry about if the ones you're giving her are sweet or not.; I'm just not sure where you could find them at, so probably taste testing them is the best bet. I think there's some fruits you can give her too, and green, leafy vegetables are safe for them as well!

When I was a kid, we had cats, birds, and fish, and I've learned a lot since I was a kid about taking care of animals, even more so since I've been working more with the animals at PetSmart (I was a cashier and just switched over to pet care about a couple months ago) and doing my own research. All the betta fish I tried having died because I had them in a bowl with no heating and no filtration when they need those things. Now I'm a fish mom to a single betta fish that I've had since March and other than one scare, he's been doing just fine, and he's definitely lasted the longest of all the bettas I've ever had. I think what's important is you're learning from the mistakes you made in the past so that you don't make them again, and you're doing your research so that you can give Morsela the best life. I think you're doing a great job as a hamster mom so far, and I think you'll continue being a great hamster mom to Morsela! ♥

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom