• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A girl called "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii"

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Eevee1

Reaction score
A New Zealand judge has ordered that the parents of an eight-year-old girl change her name, saying it is highly embarrassing and makes the child a target for ridicule.

The girl, who lives in New Plymouth on the west coast of the north island, is named "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/24/2313126.htm?section=justin

I frankly don't know what to say about that. All I know is, I'd never have a girlfriend if she had such a... unique name.

What the hell is up with New Zealanders naming their kids weird things? Wasn't it last year that someone tried to name their kid 77, or something weird like that? I'm all for being unique, but...c'mon. Have some respect for your child's future. Don't guarantee that, from birth, they will be ridiculed. That's just asking for trouble.

They clearly don't take the lives of their children very seriously, that's a very sad thing. I can't see why you would name your kids something like this, unless they are drunk all day long?

There was an article in todays paper about this, some other examples of kids names were 'Fish And Chips" and "Number Seventeen Bus Stop'.

Apparently New Zealand on the whole subscribes to "Frank Zappa's Child Name Magazine".

I remember this from the news the other day, lol! All I have to say is that her parents are a-holes. People are going to think she's from Hawaii for her whole life.

Wow, that's pretty messed up. Number 16 Bus Stop? lolz, that doesn't even make sense.

How about Audio Science? One celebrity named her child that. Can't remember who, though.

What about "Follow My Brain"? It's one awesome name.

Anyway, it reminds me of some cult in my country led by a lunatic man who was changing the cult members' (and their children's) names. The names were of course strange like "Triangular Cat", "Bicycle Angel", "Nuclear Rainbow", "Hey, You", "C-14" or "And Screwdriver Can't Help It" and such. Of course, these are translations, in Polish those named sounded a bit differently.

It's really bad and hurtful that people name their children with such stupid names. It humilitates them.

Omg, Triangular Cat is such an awesome name! Same with Nuclear Rainbow and Bicycle Angel. I'm not being sarcastic either! (I don't mean names for people really... but for a book title or a yugioh monster they're awesome! lol)

Personally, I think there is NOTHING wrong with naming your child a unique name, strange as what these New Zealanders may be coming up with. A name is something you go through your entire life with, and if anything, it should differentiate you from other people.

What the judge was saying about the girl being psychologically harmed by the name was absurd; it's not as though the girl couldn't have just had a nickname, like "K" as she had given to herself, or just Talula.

I believe the parents had the freedom to name their child whatever they wished, and the judge has no right to change it. If the girl was so bothered by the name, she could have gotten a legalized name change when she was 18.

What the judge was saying about the girl being psychologically harmed by the name was absurd; it's not as though the girl couldn't have just had a nickname, like "K" as she had given to herself, or just Talula.

Kids are cruel. The MINUTE they find out her real name (as happens almost every year on the first day of school...at least in America), she will, likely, be teased. Over time, that could cause some psychological issues. By the time she's old enough to have it legally changed...the damage will likely be done.

A name is something you go through your entire life with, and if anything, it should differentiate you from other people.

Isn't that what your personality and appearance are for?

It also is very easy for the kids to find out her real name. Heck, people can make pretty cruel jokes about regular names, never the less ones that make fun of themselves. Also, with names like this I find it hard to believe people will ever take them seriously. Would you want your doctor to be named Talula the Does the Hula from Hawaii? Would you vote for a person with such a name? Would you want to be represented by such a person?

While it is true people with these careers may not be common, but the kid should at least be given a chance.

A name for a person should have more thought into it than "It sounds cool" or "I want originality". It's why people spend so much time and money on baby name books (and other crap like that)

Ugh...children aren't just objects that you can do whatever you want with, they aren't pets. At least give them a proper name.

There was an article in todays paper about this, some other examples of kids names were 'Fish And Chips" and "Number Seventeen Bus Stop'.

I didn't see that, I'll have to have another look...

That name is just asking for trouble. It'll be terrible when she's older to file for tax returns, and sign contracts. Not to mention kids would probably make fun of her for the rest of her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom