• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

-A Heart of Gold- (Chapter One Posted)

Yumega

Epic Sea Otter ftw
Reaction score
-A Heart of Gold-

Note: This has nothing todo with Glitchipedia's Heart of Gold: The Kris/Soul Story.

Author's Note: This idea came to my head when I fished out one of my old attempts at Fanfiction; a badly written Prologue for a fic. I opened it up and was surprised to find that I thought the idea was okay so I've rewritten the chapter to see what you guys think! Anyway this fic is, as usual, a cannon one. It is based roughly on the events of Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver and focuses on the character Ethan and what he gets up to on his travels. Now, that is a very rough plot. A big part of the story will be from my imagination and changes will be quite obvious, some small and some larger. To summarise it, it is based on the game but quite loosely. You will understand it if you read it. Oh and one more thing, the prologue is very short, but I didn't want to add it to the first chapter so I'm throwing it up there on its own. Enjoy! ;)

~Contents~
Prologue: A trip to Johto
Chapter one: Boredom

Prologue: A trip to Johto

Red looked at the man sleeping on the sofa for a moment.
He wasn’t a stranger; far from it. In fact, Red had known this man for most of his life. But something about seeing the man so exhausted to the extent that he had fallen asleep unintentionaly worried Red. The man was getting old, something that the fourteen year old was intelligent enough to understand. People lived, they got old and they died. It was called a cycle, and Red didn’t like to think that this man was now entering the end of it.

‘Professor,’ he said quietly, giving the man a gentle shove. The professor continued to snore quietly, oblivious to the teenager.
‘Professor, Oak!’

‘Hm? Wha...?’ Professor Oak shot up off the sofa like a rocket, before groaning and rubbing his back vigorously.
Red sighed. The man was looking at him, weary eyed and tired, like he had been sleeping for a long time.
‘Red, is that you?’
He nodded.
‘Oh,’ the Professor mumbled, confused, the wrinkles on his forehead deepening. ‘You woke me up?’
‘Yes, you told me to come over. Remember?’
‘Ah... yes I did, didn’t I? Uh, what time it, again?’
Instinctively, Red turned to the clock on the right wall. In three years, the clock still hadn’t moved from the same location. Actually, the more Red thought about it, he realised that not much had changed in the lab at all. From the time he had entered at the building for the first time, at the tender age of eleven, to now- very little had differed. It was like a game of spot the difference.

There were the several bookcases, all neatly filled with different books and volumes, now gathering dust. There was the large table where he had received his first ever Pokémon. The large green mystery machine was also there, and still Red did not know its purpose or when the Professor had received it in the first place. Finally there was the sofa, red and battered. Red didn’t know why the professor even had the old thing anymore; he could easily afford a new one. But for some reason he didn’t and the sofa remained as a signature part of furniture in the lab.

‘It’s ten ‘o’ clock, Professor. Pm.’
The old man looked gob-smacked. ‘Yikes,’ he gasped loudly. ‘I must have dozed off- no wonder it’s so dark!’
He yawned loudly, before walking slowly towards the table in the middle of the room, his white lab coat trailing behind him.

‘Sorry to keep you waiting, Red, really I am. I’ve just been so tired recently! Anyway, I asked you to come here so I could tell you I’m going way for a little while.’
Red patiently nodded.
‘I’m going back to the Johto region! It’s been requested that I continue my radio show there, in Goldenrod city! How exciting! I must say that I adore the Johto region; so quiet and peaceful. You should know; you have been there.’
‘Yes,’ Red confirmed, pleased that the professor was back to his old self. The old man was fiddling with a modern coffee machine, one of the newer items for the lab.

‘Anyway, I’m going to be visiting an old and close friend, Mr. Pokémon! Have you heard of him?’
Red nodded. ‘Yes, I read his autobiography once, he’s a collector, isn’t he?’
‘In a sense, yes.’ He gestured to the coffee machine. ‘Coffee?’
Red shook his head.
‘Well Mr. Pokémon would be absolutely delighted if he was to meet you in person! So I said I would ask you to come with me. Plus, you would also get to see the sights of Johto. Again,’ he added. ‘What do you say?’

Red bit his lip. He had received the message to visit the professor the day before; while he was doing his usual training on the peaks of Mt. Silver. On one hand he wanted to get back to training as soon as possible, but he also didn’t want to disappoint the man he respected so much.

‘Okay,’ Red said at last. Maybe the change of scenery would be good for him. What could go wrong?

‘Excellent, Red,’ Oak said happily, sipping at his mug. ‘Connor will be so pleased! I was thinking we could catch the magnet train, but apparently it is out of service at the moment.’
Red nodded again. He had heard about that too.
‘So It seems we will have to board the S.S. Aqua at Vermilion City; a very efficient form of transport!’
‘When are we going, Professor,’ Red asked, and despite himself he found that he was getting excited about the trip.

‘In two days,’ Oak answered happily. ‘So you have plenty of days to pack for the trip. It won’t be for very long. About two weeks, maybe a little more. You will get to use the benefits of the Pokémon centres, of course.’

Red decided it would be good to get back on the road again. Hell, he might even be able to squeeze in some training on the way. He had enjoyed his trip to the johto region two years ago so he didn’t see what could go wrong. ‘Sure,’ he said, smiling at the old man.’

‘It’s sorted, then! Thank you Red; you really are doing me a favour here.’
Red just grinned in reply

So Red was going back to johto once more and his Pokémon journey was continuing, but what he didn’t know was that far away, in a place Named New Bark town three people were about to begin theirs.

Chapter End

Last edited:
Re: -A Heart of Gold- (Prologue Up)

Wow, that was really, really well written! Beautiful description of Oak's lab and the dynamics of Red and Oak's relationship. I feel really, really disappointed that this is just the prologue and I'm not going to hear much more about Red from you.

Still, I'm sure you will do wonders with Ethan, Lyra and Silver - I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Agreed! Normally in the prologue I have to give crazy criticism, but here you've done it very well. No obvious grammar errors and I loved your descriptions. I'm sure that if you keep this up your story will go far!

Wow, that was really, really well written! Beautiful description of Oak's lab and the dynamics of Red and Oak's relationship. I feel really, really disappointed that this is just the prologue and I'm not going to hear much more about Red from you.

Still, I'm sure you will do wonders with Ethan, Lyra and Silver - I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks, gama :) But you shouldn't be disappointed about Red; you havn't seen the last of him.

and I'm not just talking about the battle with gold at the end of the games...

Agreed! Normally in the prologue I have to give crazy criticism, but here you've done it very well. No obvious grammar errors and I loved your descriptions. I'm sure that if you keep this up your story will go far!

Thank you! :)
Much appreciated, guys! I edited the first post for italics and a few errors :)

I like it! this was really good! keep it up!

Had a thought about Ethan's team today and I'm really confused on what he should catch. Though the first Pokémon he catches is really a no-brainer, I won't spoil it for you guys until we come to that bridge. Anway, here is chapter one!

Chapter One: Boredom

Ethan Hawk was bored.
It was the middle of summer and the sun was shining brighter than ever, creating intense heat for the people of New Bark Town. Days were always long and hot, even the nights would be sticky with heat and Ethan was, quite frankly, sick of it.

In years past the thirteen year old would have enjoyed the holiday, but he had grown up and moved on; it no longer excited him and instead made him wish he was somewhere else.
He sat on a deck chair, near the lake beside his house, book in hand. He may have gone for a swim but he couldn’t be bothered; the heat had made him groggy and tired. A few other children were there; some in the water or around it. And one of those teenagers was Lyra Sims.

Ethan didn’t like Lyra much. She was very popular in the town and seemed to get along with others very well. It wasn’t that Ethan wasn’t popular but more so that he didn’t particularly enjoy the company of others when it was hot.
But Lyra always seemed to be happy and optimistic, whatever was happening. She wore a pair or blue shorts and a red t-shirt, and as per-usual, she was being crowded. Five other teenagers sat around her, chatting and laughing; having fun. This made Ethan feel worse; why couldn’t he enjoy himself like that? It wasn’t intentional and he got annoyed the more he thought about it.

Another reason why Lyra was receiving so much attention was obvious; in the crystal blue water beside her was a Marill, her one and only Pokémon. There was no denying that the Pokémon was cute, in fact it was adorable. It was paddling in the lake; squealing with pleasure at the chance to cool off. Of course most the girls in the group were adoring the water type; petting and tickling it happily. Ethan felt another pang of guilt; it was time to admit it. He was jealous.

He didn’t exactly want a marill, but Lyra had something he wanted more than anything. He wanted a Pokémon of his own. Everyone wanted a Pokémon, it wasn’t just a fad; getting a Pokémon could change someone’s life. And Ethan Hawk wanted one. He wanted to travel Johto and feel excitement that other Pokémon trainers felt. He wanted to-

‘Hey, Ethan!’
Ethan shot out of his day dream with a jolt and his book fell out of hand, dropping to the feet of the speaker. He heard snickers coming from some of the other teenagers and he frowned. It was Lyra.
Another thing Ethan disliked about Lyra was the way she attempted to start conversations with him despite the moods he may be in. Ethan guessed that she was just being nice and this made Ethan feel bad about having a grudge on the girl; she hadn’t actually done anything wrong.

‘Hello, Lyra,’ he said, trying to sound as happy as he could but worrying that he was failing.
‘I was just wondering if you would like to join us,’ she gestured to the lake five metres away. She was twisting one of her pigtails around her finger, her signature smile wide and genuine. Ethan didn’t know what to say. He didn’t particularly want to join her and the others at the lake, but he also didn’t want to seem like the odd one out for much longer.
‘Um... sure,’ he answered slowly.
‘Yay,’ she gasped happily, and before Ethan had the chance to do anything she had grabbed his arm and pulled his out of the chair; dragging him down to the water.
‘Everyone, Ethan is here,’ she said before finally letting go of his arm and sitting down. Ethan felt embarrassed and stupid; what was she playing at?

And Ethan still felt out of place; most of the boys were just wearing swimming shorts, while he came equipped with a navy shirt and black and yellow hat; covering his dark and messy hair.
‘Yo, Ethan!’ John, one of the boys that Ethan got along with came over and sat beside him on the grass, a grin plastered on his face. Like most people, John had known to stay away from Ethan when it was the weather was hot but when Lyra had persuaded him to come over he had decided to say hello.

‘Hey, John,’ Ethan nodded. ‘What..’
Ethan heard a little squeak coming from beside him and turned to find Marill staring up at him with wide eyes. Ethan couldn’t resist rubbing the aqua mouse’s blue head and the Pokémon giggled happily as he did so.

‘Look, Ethan,’ Lyra beamed. ‘Marill likes you!’
Ethan laughed and realised that Lyra wasn’t that bad after all. Maybe if she wasn’t so happy all the time they could have been friends.
‘Ethan, isn’t that your mom,’ John asked and Ethan turned to wear he was looking. It was true; Gabriella Hawk was walking across the grass, heading for the lake.

‘Oh, Ethan...! Our neighbour, Professor. Elm was looking for you,’ she said as she came closer. ‘He said he wanted you to do something for him.’
Ethan was puzzled. Why would the town’s professor want him for? It wasn’t like he even knew the man that much. Once he had helped him move heavy things around his lab but that was about it. In fact, he always seemed much more interested in Lyra, she always seemed to be helping him with one thing or another.
‘Oh.. okay. Bye guys’ Ethan mumbled, getting to his feet.
‘Aww,’ Lyra complained. ‘You only got here.’

Ethan was surprised at Lyra’s strong disappointment at his departure and he thought about that as he followed his mother back to his house. Why did the girl like him so much when he wasn’t particularly friendly with her?
‘Do you know what the professor wants, mom,’ he asked, confused. But despite the confusion Ethan was getting excited. Professor Elm, was of course a Pokémon professor and it made him shiver with excitement when he thought about that. He had been the one who had given Marill to Lyra a year ago and what if that was what he wanted him for?! But then Ethan sighed. He had gotten his hopes up before but all it had turned out to be was helping the middle aged man move boxes from the attic; that was hardly worth getting excited over.

‘Um, no he didn’t say, Ethan. Well, you better get going, anyway,’ his mother said cheerfully.
Ethan nodded; he might as well see what the man wanted. But just as he turned to go, his mother grabbed his shoulder.

‘Oh! I almost forgot! Your Pokégear is back from the repair shop in Goldenrod city! Here you go!’ Gabriella had pulled a small, blue flip up cell phone out of her pocket and was handing it to him. Ethan grinned. He had received the Pokégear as a birthday present for turning thirteen and, one week after getting it he had dropped it; breaking the screen. Most people had a Pokégear, in fact Ethan could only name a couple of teenagers in the town that didn’t have one.

Ethan loaded up the Pokégear as made his way across New Bark Town. He was happy to find that his data remained there, including the date and time; One forty PM. He only had one number stored on it though, his mother’s. New Bark Town was a small place and none of Ethan’s friends were particularly hard to find so he hadn’t found the need to add them.

He got a few friendly nods and waves from the citizens as he walked and he smiled back. Everyone knew everyone in new bark town so it was only natural that Ethan was at least a familiar face for most of the people who lived in the town. In fact, Ethan was described as a nice, helpful boy and this had always left Ethan rather puzzled. What had he done to anyone for him to be kind in anyone’s eyes? Granted he had helped around a little. Cutting some grass here, running some errands there; what else was he going to do? He never had many plans anymore and the days were becoming longer and longer.

There was no denying that they were also becoming more boring. Usually he would just sit around the
house and read, occasionally playing the wii in his bedroom or watch some TV. But that was it, nothing exciting.

It was a rare occasion when Ethan appreciated the town’s scenery, but this was one of those times. Multi-coloured flower beds dotted the grass, in full bloom. There were also the few windmills that, in the winter, acted as the main source of power in New Bark town, though they weren’t much use today. There was no breeze and the windmills remained still, towering over the houses of the town. Although they were tall, the windmills weren’t ugly. Instead they suited the town and its cheerful motto:

"Winds of a New Beginning"

Sometimes Ethan thought about the meaning of those words. What new beginnings was it referring to? There was none that he could see; instead it was quite the opposite. Ethan had fallen into the boring routine of waking up and spending the day doing nothing in particular, no excitement and certainly no ‘new beginnings!’ It seemed so pointless to have such an exciting motto for a town that was simply normal, in the worst way possible. It was unfair, in a way.

Ethan could see Professor Elm’s lab now, a beautiful building that also doubled as the man’s house. Ethan knew that the professor was a bit on the unorganized side. He also had the habit of working late, his wife had explained as much to Ethan multiple times. As Ethan got closer to the lab he noticed someone outside it. Well, not so much as outside it but around the corner; kneeling down on the green grass beside the lab’s window. In fact, the closer he got the more he could see of the person and it soon became clear to Ethan that the person was in fact a boy and he was staring into the window, frowning.

The stranger was... odd. He looked around Ethan’s age and he had fiery red hair that looked a little unwieldy. In fact Red seemed to be the boy’s primary colour when it came to clothes. He wore a black and red jacket with blue jeans. His pale hands were clenched into fists as he continued to stare into the window and Ethan could hear him muttering to himself.
‘.... So this is Elm’s Pokémon lab...’
Ethan was greatly puzzled. Where did this boy come from and what did he want? Ethan hadn’t seen him before.

‘Ugh... Hello?’
The boy turned sharply in a state of panic, before glaring at Ethan angrily.
Ethan was caught off guard and cursed himself for saying anything at all.
‘What are you gawking at,’ the stranger demanded fiercely as he stumbled to his feet.
Ethan opened his mouth to answer but the boy was already talking again, not waiting for a reply.
‘Go away,’ he hissed. ‘Go on, leave!’ If Ethan was confused before it was nothing like how bewildered he was now.

‘What are you talking about?! Who are you,’ he demanded but the other boy wasn’t having any of it.
‘Get away from me,’ he insisted and before Ethan could react the boy had grabbed his t-shirt in his fists. With a long groan he shoved Ethan forward who couldn’t stop himself from falling uselessly onto his back.

The stones and gravel cut into his bare legs and Ethan scowled at his attack as he got back up.
‘What is wrong with you,’ he shouted but the boy was already running off past the trees that lined to the town. Then he gone, lost in route twenty-nine
Ethan was both stunned and shaken up and he felt slightly dizzy and light headed. It was a wonder none had seen the event unfold but it seemed that everyone had decided to stay clear of Elm’s lab on that day.

Ethan inspected his injuries but other than a few scrapes and a small cut he was okay. Thankfully he hadn’t broken his Pokégear when he fell and it remained intact. Just as Ethan was about to enter the lab he noticed something thin on small on the patch of grass the boy had been sitting on.
Ethan knelt down and picked up the item; a thing piece of plastic with writing on it. Ethan raised an eyebrow as realisation sank in. This was a Pokémon trainer card, and not just any trainer’s card at that. This was the attacker’s card.
Apparently his name was Silver, though the second name had been scored out in permanent marker.

And Ethan had been right about his age too; Silver was indeed thirteen; the same age as Ethan. At least I will know his name if he comes back again, thought Ethan as he pulled open the lab door. If anything was going to happen today it couldn’t be any stranger than what had already happened.

Chapter End

Review ;)

Last edited:
All right, you're writing is good but there is one problem, you have to double space between paragraphs not just that but you start new paragraphs a lot and just have them sticking to each other, especially the last part of chapter 1 where the paragraphs became a block of text.

Well I do double space and I find its too gapy if I triple space. Hmm, some of the paragraphs were moved together when I pasted this from word it seems, a fixed those ones ;)
Anything else on the story?

I'd like to request that you add a disclaimer noting that this fic has nothing to do with my upcoming fanfilm Heart of Gold: The Kris/Soul Story.

Umm, sure!

Well so far I have nothing to say, the chapter was basically what we already know so I'll have to wait till the story moves along

I'd like to request that you add a disclaimer noting that this fic has nothing to do with my upcoming fanfilm Heart of Gold: The Kris/Soul Story.

Do people even have to put disclaimers for fanfilms? he doesn't have the subtitle of the film so he shouldn't have to.

Well so far I have nothing to say, the chapter was basically what we already know so I'll have to wait till the story moves along

I see, well the bigger changes will apear later on anyway! :)

Do people even have to put disclaimers for fanfilms? he doesn't have the subtitle of the film so he shouldn't have to.

It's just so there's no confusion. Viewers of the film would be likely to hack off the subtitle in conversation purely for the sake of convenience. As an example, there are many people who refer to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope simply as A New Hope, Episode IV or even just Star Wars.

Hey, thanks for asking me to read this! I really enjoyed what I read so far. Is Ethan Hawk based on the American actor? I bet not, haha, but I picture him from Training Day when I read this. Anyways, I love Lyra's character... you do a great job with her. Maybe work a bit on your descriptions, but overall I liked this!

Hey, thanks for asking me to read this! I really enjoyed what I read so far. Is Ethan Hawk based on the American actor? I bet not, haha, but I picture him from Training Day when I read this. Anyways, I love Lyra's character... you do a great job with her. Maybe work a bit on your descriptions, but overall I liked this!

Thank you, and I enjoy doing stuff with Lyra.

Prepare to see a lot more of her!

Nah, Ethan's name didn't come from anything cool like that =P His name means strong and a hawk is a strong bird :) I also wanted to give him the name of a bird because... well...

Ho-Oh

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom