• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A new batch of 'Rival Destinies' episode titles revealed: Donamite arc titles reveale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A new batch of 'Rival Destinies' episode titles revealed: Donamite arc titles rev

My first post on the Bulbagarden Forums, here I go!

How does "Typhlosion" sound so cool while "Clubsplosion" sounds so awful..? :x In any case, I'm still personally referring to the event as Donamite (in casual conversations, not during editing of Bulbapedia).

I wouldn't mind if these news actually gave proper sources instead of seemingly pulling the names out of thin air :/
This...although the supposed "source" has been cited as reliable in the past, I'll wait for more official confirmation...

I figured they wouldn't use "Donamite" for obvious reasons.

Golem's Red/Blue Version Pokédex entry:
Its boulder-like body is extremely hard. It can easily withstand dynamite blasts without taking damage.

Golem's Platinum and Black/White Version Pokédex entry:
Even dynamite can't harm its hard, boulderlike body. It sheds its hide just once a year.

Electrode's FireRed Version Pokédex entry:
It explodes in response to even minor stimuli. It is feared, with the nickname of "The Bomb Ball."

Honestly, I'd say TPCi doesn't really have an excuse for avoiding the term "dynamite"/using "Clubsplosion" over the better-sounding name of "Donamite!". With clear references to the words "dynamite" and "bomb" being present the Pokémon games (one of them even being from Black and White themselves, the games that the Best Wishes/Black and White TV series is based off of), I still don't see why they have to shy away from such terminology... It's strange how the Pokemon anime can continue to use the word "Explosion" (whenever the move itself is used), yet it still can't reference the objects that can cause explosions...

And IIRC, the Pokemon anime explicitly referenced "bombs" in Saving the World From Ruins!, but I might be mistaken - at the very least, Mars of Team Galactic was clearly observed attempting to use one.

TPCi was doing so well without all of the lame puns. Well hopefully they're not going to start this habit again. I got to say though, some titles are great but I actually like the way the dub titles are like the Japanese titles.

I prefer puns for the most part; literal translations were OK when the anime was just starting, but now they just seem so bland, especially given the So Bad It's Good pun-rich history of English Pokemon episode titles. However, sometimes I enjoy the "flavor" that the Japanese episode titles have.

Battling the Leaf Thieves!

Another "Battling the ___" title?

Sigh.

Strangely, I'm not too annoyed by that, considering that format has only been used twice before in Best Wishes, from what I can see (three if you count the episode Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!). Seems like 9 episodes contain the term "Battling" in the entirety of the Pokemon anime so far... Although it's disappointing that they've reused the same "title structure" so soon in Best Wishes.

Donamite sounds like a mineral. Clubsplosion sounds like a really cheesy nightlife event.

This.

"Clubsplosion?"

Seriously TPCi, "Donamite" was a bad enough name, but "CLUBSPLOSION!?" did Don George retire and decided to hire Michael Bay to take his place or something, because it's a terrible pun, while previous episode title puns were rather cheesy in a "so bad it's good" way, this one isn't like that

I figured they wouldn't use "Donamite" for obvious reasons.

Agreed, remember back in the 4Kids dub how Team Rocket said in one episode "Blaster balls away!!!" as opposed to the classic phrase "Bombs away!!!", apparently, the word bomb does not exist in the Pokemon world or is treated as profanity, and they are called "blaster balls", though in the English dub of Megaman NT Warrior, Bombman was called "Blasterman", even though that anime was dubbed by another company.

Battling the Leaf Thieves!

Another "Battling the ___" title?

Sigh.

Seriously, another title like that? The dubbers need to come up with better names for the episodes, of course, with over 700 episodes at this point, it's pretty obvious that they ran out of ideas and are just recycling titles now.

Yeah...at least the episode title Commanding the Clubsplosion Crown! bothers to have an alliteration. Well, here's hoping that the puns for future episodes are a bit better.

Last edited:
Re: A new batch of 'Rival Destinies' episode titles revealed: Donamite arc titles rev

Honestly, I'd say TPCi doesn't really have an excuse for avoiding the term "dynamite"/using "Clubsplosion" over the better-sounding name of "Donamite!". With clear references to the words "dynamite" and "bomb" being present the Pokémon games (one of them even being from Black and White themselves, the games that the Best Wishes/Black and White TV series is based off of), I still don't see why they have to shy away from such terminology... It's strange how the Pokemon anime can continue to use the word "Explosion" (whenever the move itself is used), yet it still can't reference the objects that can cause explosions...

And IIRC, the Pokemon anime explicitly referenced "bombs" in Saving the World From Ruins!, but I might be mistaken - at the very least, Mars of Team Galactic was clearly observed attempting to use one.

That's because it wasn't changed for censorship reasons. It was changed for consistency- they already changed "Don Battle" to "Club Battle", so they wanted the title of the tournament to be a pun on their name for the thing, rather than the japanese name. I can't speak for why they changed "Don" to "club" in the first place, but I'm guessing it was just one of those times when they thought it sounded better and didn't realize there would be consequences later on down the line. Incredibly minor consequences, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom