• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A New Change in Serena's Character Design...

Shadao

Pikachu's Global Adventure
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
While many people here have focus on today's episode or the previews featuring the next episode and New Year's Special, there's one interesting tibit that has gone under the radar, namely Serena's design. Unlike most, if not all the main characters, Serena's design has gone through notable changes for the upcoming year, namely the new hat and more importantly, her new haircut. This silhouette on the upper right here shows what I mean.
tumblr_inline_nh5suoR7Zm1r5c3om.jpg
That's Serena's silhouette and her hair is significantly shorter and she appears to have a different hat altogether.
I'm quite surprise that the anime would go far as to give Serena a brand new haircut (though not completely surprise considering the customization feature and barber shop in XY) as opposed to simply just new clothes like the other main characters. So one has to wonder where and when does Serena's haircut take place, and why did she have this haircut in the first place? What would this say for her character or future, would this change apply to the other characters, present and future?

It's a bit surprising to see them do something like this, but I guess it makes sense with XY's customization. I guess the new OP will already spoil it before it'll actually happen...? I bet it'll be true to the games and they'll only do it once they're in Lumiose where you can get a haircut in-game. So probably around March/April before/after the Lumiose Gym Battle.

Someone on tumblr actually drew Serena's redesign: NoVa's Ark

I like this change, it makes Serena more different than the other companions, in a way :x

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that actually the same as one of the haircut options Serena could have in X/Y? It just looks familiar.

I like the fact that they're giving her a new hairstyle and hat. It makes sense with customization being in XY. I hope they give her more wardrobe changes down the line.

New goal, new look. (new personality :confused:)

I'll bet even money they quietly drop her crush on Ash next...

Oh gosh, it seems familiar (happened to Pearl on Steven Universe, changed her clothes) they changed Serena.

That looks like a nice cut, hopefully it means that Serena will be different herself.

Yeah, what's up with that :confused:
190r94zmxlr7hjpg.jpg

Too little, too late (you may as well ask for Misty's Gen 2 hair while you're at it)

Besides, where would Axew stay?
She can appear with a new haircut for her comeback. That is, if she comes for a few episodes like May and Dawn before her.
I'm kidding, I don't think she'll ever get a new hairstyle.

This seems quite surprising for me.The fact that Serena's haircut would get a change makes the customization are getting more influence in this series. I totally agree that Serena looks cuter in her own hairstyle and what every people would say must be that she has made the most history than any girls from the past.

She can appear with a new haircut for her comeback. That is, if she comes for a few episodes like May and Dawn before her.

Unless they go with the whole Black & White 2 thing where she's become Unova's new champion.

Unless they go with the whole Black & White 2 thing where she's become Unova's new champion.

Drayden declared that Iris was his successor for Opelucid Gym in the anime, so that's probs not going to happen.

I wonder if Serena will get the Slurpuff dress?

I'm for it, she has a pretty bland appearance. They should make her have ginger twin pigtails and a school uniform like my Serena...

Maybe it's a one off for a showcase.

I'm for it, she has a pretty bland appearance. They should make her have ginger twin pigtails and a school uniform like my Serena...

Maybe it's a one off for a showcase.
She's having her hair cut, it can't be a one off thing. It's not like she'll grow her hair back in one episode. This is a permanent redesign with new outfit and new hairstyle, at least until she possibly gets a third one.

Ew, terrible redesign. That short hair just looks messy and ugly. I'm not really fond of short hair on girls anyway though. And that hat is ugly too. I'm basing this off of the silhouette, btw, not the fan interpretation. Though the fan interpretation looks like it could be spot on.

If this is going to be Serena's new look for a long time, I might not even watch the rest of the XY anime. It's one of the WORST designs I've ever seen on a character in it.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom