• With COPPA coming into full effect, the comments section and notifications for our YouTube videos are disabled. Not to worry, though, you can keep up with the latest episodes for all our ongoing series and provide your comments in the Bulbasocial section here.
  • NMLewis heads into the Petalburg Woods. Watch here and sing along as he hums his way through the Hoenn region.

A New Change in Serena's Character Design...

Reaction score
At least Serena can finally prove to the fans that she can be a person and not someone who spends most of her time crushing on Ash. And it would get better in a few weeks with her Fennekin hinted to be evolving at last.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
I LOVE IT. It's great that they're showing off customization from the games and she looks amazing. I love the new outfit especially.

Reaction score
I absolutely love it! Also I think it's nice to see anime characters changing their clothes once in a while, hahaha. I think the short hair suits her so well, not so sure what I think about the hat or shoes (as separate items both are really nice, but in the outfit, hmm) , but other than I think the outfit is super cute and suits her. It's so fresh!

This turned out kind of prophetic...
Reaction score
Serena's reason for this was because
she lost her first Pokémon Showcase. In some Asian cultures, when somebody cuts his or her hair, it is to show that this person is abandoning the past and focusing on the future with new resolve.

Admiral: Well, gentlemen...I just got the order.
*GROUP GASP* :eek:
Sailor: SIR, YOU DON'T MEAN--
Admiral: Yes. You have to know this day would come sooner or later.
Sailor: But-but--
Admiral: We have no choice. It's time to finally--SINK THE SHIP!

Also: Not bad, but I'm gonna miss her long hair. It went so well with her cute outfits... :-(

Reaction score
Well, that I'm OK with. For a moment, I was kinda thinking...

...Serena had simply cut her hair out of pure shame. I know that's also happened to a few Asian people too, when they've underperformed at something.

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Well, that I'm OK with. For a moment, I was kinda thinking...

...Serena had simply cut her hair out of pure shame. I know that's also happened to a few Asian people too, when they've underperformed at something.
Exactly my thoughts! It should have been something bigger, a bigger and unforgivable mistake by her.

Cutting her hair should have been more of an act that she wants change herself instead of just forgetting about a lost.

I give up
Reaction score
Leaving all the cultural significance mentioned aside, I wonder if this whole "new look, new Serena" thing is the program makers effectively admitting that they pitched her character slightly wrong

Lovely
Reaction score
Leaving all the cultural significance mentioned aside, I wonder if this whole "new look, new Serena" thing is the program makers effectively admitting that they pitched her character slightly wrong
Well they are certainly trying to make her new. The change in hairstyle is a start.

I really like her new look. She's so my type :D

'Eh, What's up Doc?
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they pitched her character wrong. Serena really didn't know what she wanted to do in life and, as we learned recently from her mother, never really kept at things if they became difficult; she would easily lose interest. However, due to her travels with Ash and her interactions with other people passionate about their goals, the faith her friends, mother and Pokemon have in her, and the joy she felt from entering the Showcase, this change in outfit and hair signify her own official start in her life. At least in my opinion.

Her new look is something to help herself and viewers see that explicitly. It also indicates a goodbye (hence the montage) to all the shortcomings that held her back over the years; she's ready and free now to effectively pursue her goal. Emphasis on free because her outfit is considerably much more flowy and light than her previous one.

I'd say from here on out, we're going to see a much more involved, determined and active Serena than pre-Showcase. Regarding her new design, I love it! Short hair does indeed suit her (although I do miss her long hair). Her whole outfit looks very French to me.

Last edited:
Administrator
Reaction score
Serena's new design looks pretty nice. I liked her long hair, but the new short hair style does work pretty well with her new outfit.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
I preferred the longer hair, but the short hair looks WAAAY better than it does in the games, so I'd say it's good~ The outfit's cute, but I'd have preferred a different hat; the fedora's pretty much my least favorite in the games~

Overall, the new design is pretty decent~

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Serena's new outfit looks like Phi's outfit (a character from Virtue's Last Reward). She looks adorable. Short hair <3

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
I love it. Absolutely refreshing and meaningful too.

Reaction score
Her new design makes her look much older for some reason, and have absolutely no problem with.

The whole point of her getting a new look is that she's moved on from her doubtful self and that she can achieve anything.

Reaction score
I have to say, i'm in the neutral zone about Serena's new look. What was wrong with her old look?

Hang up and try again
Reaction score
The little vest/scarf part looks weird to me, but otherwise, I'm really loving this new design. It does make her look more mature as it has been mentioned before.

I give up
Reaction score
It's encouraging to see her & Fennekin looking dynamic in the new picture tweeted by BulbaNewsNOW -

I wonder what Mirror Serena looks like now?