• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A New Change in Serena's Character Design...

I was looking at this video again and noticed a scene at 0:08 which is Serena pulling up her hair. I assume it's a scene from the episode where her hair gets cut. It's only a second, but it seems that she's not in Lumiose City, which is interesting to note.

[video=youtube;83nfUeTDJWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nfUeTDJWk#t=10[/video]

My guess is that Serena will cut her hair at the end of Episode #62 when she inevitably loses that competition.

I was looking at this video again and noticed a scene at 0:08 which is Serena pulling up her hair. I assume it's a scene from the episode where her hair gets cut. It's only a second, but it seems that she's not in Lumiose City, which is interesting to note.

[video=youtube;83nfUeTDJWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nfUeTDJWk#t=10[/video]

That's Coumarine City, take a look at the dock, and that must be XY060 maybe after she loses on her contest debut, but it doesn't mean she will cut her hair there, it still could be Lumiose where she cuts it. o_O

Last edited:
That's Coumarine City, take a look at the dock, and that must be XY060 maybe after she loses on her contest debut, but it doesn't mean she will cut her hair there, it still could be Lumiose where she cuts it. o_O

Again, I only assume it's a scene from the episode. :p You're absolutely right in that her hair could get cut in Lumiose.

I hope she gets twin pigtails at one point

Last edited:
Well i have to admit. New pokemon director Tetsuo Yajima certainly likes to experiment in cooperation with head writers and rest of staff not being afraid to shake things up.

Excluding Jessie having her hair cut or bite of by pokemon, this is first time in pokemon anime history that main character will be going through true makeover altering look to significant degree.

Personally im not bothered by Serena having her hair cut,. Many anime characters experience changes in their design as result of maturity, new resolve they made in life or simply feeling its time for change experimenting with different clothes and hairstyles. In real life this happens all the time.

I only wander what will be cause behind Serena deciding to remove most of her hair sporting different look which gives her admittedly some cute, more outgoing dimension to character itself.

I heard how in eastern tradition girl or woman cutting hair can symbolize "rebirth of person". Deciding to leave past behind and look toward future. With Serena recently standing up for herself convincing mother how she is responsible and passionate enough about her decision to quit family tradition setting her own path to walk by. After gaining interest in becoming performer and slowly changing from shy, submissive and reticent girl into more assertive, confident and motivated person.

Could incite in her desire to change hairstyle marking with such act end of her old self becoming more independent and determined girl.

This comes of as bold but actualy quite unique change writers are willing to do with Serena character.
Although character customization feature from games obviously had part in this whole decision.

With this unexpected info, i cant help but feel how cool or worrying would it be to see some of Ash older friends returned receiving new designs too reflecting how much they changed, evolved as persons and developed in meantime. Like maybe May not wearing bandana anymore having straight hair down, Or Misty letting hair grow longer influenced by her sisters much to initial strong opposition(that would be hilarious lol) like Nami from One Piece did afer time skip etc.

Nah, more than likely wont happen.

Okay, then I'm apathetic to this in general. We've seen nothing but a silhouette, not enough conclusive evidence for a judgment, I know nothing about how this will play out, I am not omniscient, but I am willing to wait until we get more details to make a judgement on this and I would kindly request that people do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the New Year Special, we now have a picture of Serena's new look:
1419984537898.jpg

Ooohh..a haircut means that...ASH IS INDEED IN TEMPORAL STASIS!

Since he has never needed/received a haircut, but Serena does/will, Ash is indeed forever stuck as a 10 year old newb on the first year of his journey...why else would Serena get a haircut due to growing(and therefore aging) hair, but not him? She is obviously not bound by Ash's unaging curse/anachronistic body/temporal anomaly/undead life/afterlife..does this mean Bonnie, Clemont and (Hopefully)Iris and/or Cilan will show signs of time passing as well?

I like the less "girly" hairstyle, personally. But it defies all Pokémon anime logic for any sign of the effects of cellular growth on a human character's body past Ash's first day of his Pokémon journey...

Ash is STILL 10, but Serena's hair has grown and/or will shrink after the temporal stasis point of Pokémon, I Choose You!

Inconsistency much?

Now Ash HAS to age past 10, or I'm calling bulls**t on this change in a human character's physical body.

Since he has never needed/received a haircut, but Serena does/will, Ash is indeed forever stuck as a 10 year old newb on the first year of his journey...why else would Serena get a haircut due to growing(and therefore aging) hair, but not him? She is obviously not bound by Ash's unaging curse/anachronistic body/temporal anomaly/undead life/afterlife..does this mean Bonnie, Clemont and (Hopefully)Iris and/or Cilan will show signs of time passing as well?

I like the less "girly" hairstyle, personally. But it defies all Pokémon anime logic for any sign of the effects of cellular growth on a human character's body past Ash's first day of his Pokémon journey...

Ash is STILL 10, but Serena's hair has grown and/or will shrink after the temporal stasis point of Pokémon, I Choose You!

Inconsistency much?

Now Ash HAS to age past 10, or I'm calling bulls**t on this change in a human character's physical body.

If one takes a closer look at Ash's hair in XY, it's much longer compare to previous designs, particularly the sideburns which now overlaps his ears.

Anyways, when I first saw that small glimpse of Serena in that preview scene, I first thought that her new haircut has yet to come since she looks pretty much the same. Until I took a closer look and noticed that her hair stops around her neck. I really hope we get an official new image soon, because that glimpse right there does not really give us a good idea aside from speculations and guesses.

Comparing two shots from different key animators drawn on different days in different decades using different character models from different character designers is not useful.

Satoshi is ten. He is going to stay ten. These series ignore aging for a reason.

Since he has never needed/received a haircut, but Serena does/will, Ash is indeed forever stuck as a 10 year old newb on the first year of his journey...why else would Serena get a haircut due to growing(and therefore aging) hair, but not him?

Clearly Ash has been a pure-blooded Saiyan this whole time. :p Black hair, always the same style, never needing a haircut... why did I not realize this sooner lol. :p (sarcasm aside, those are legit canon Saiyan traits)

Back on-topic, uh, geez... I can't make shit out of that pic. Quality's too low and Serena's too far in the background. I'll just take everyone else's word for it. Thinking back on it, I can kinda relate to Serena getting a haircut. For a long time I went without getting my haircut and it was a pain in the ass... so it was a relief to finally have it cut a few months ago, roughly to the length of Serena's new style/one of the game's short haircut styles, and I was happy to update my character accordingly. XD Hah, I'm lame.

From what I can see in that small picture it looks eh

Comparing two shots from different key animators drawn on different days in different decades using different character models from different character designers is not useful.

Satoshi is ten. He is going to stay ten. These series ignore aging for a reason.

I was trying to say that Satoshi's hair doesn't exactly stay the same and thus proves that he is not in some temporal stasis alone if Serena's haircut is used as an example. In addition to my original response, I do would like to add that Serena's haircut doesn't indicate growing hair as we don't know why Serena would cut her hair (For all I know, Serena had her haircut in response to a loss or a resolve).

Speaking of which, would Serena's haircut be at the end of XY60 or would it have a future episode dedicated to it? It seems logical that Serena would cut her hair after her Pokémon Performer debut, yet I wonder how it would they approach it. Gradually change starting with Serena's haircut followed by her outfit change, or one episode that focus on Serena changing her appearance in Lumiose City?

honestly it's.... fitting given the timing?

"I finally found my dream: Pokemon performer!"

-insert important haircut here-

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom