• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A New Change in Serena's Character Design...

At least Serena can finally prove to the fans that she can be a person and not someone who spends most of her time crushing on Ash. And it would get better in a few weeks with her Fennekin hinted to be evolving at last.

I absolutely love it! Also I think it's nice to see anime characters changing their clothes once in a while, hahaha. I think the short hair suits her so well, not so sure what I think about the hat or shoes (as separate items both are really nice, but in the outfit, hmm) , but other than I think the outfit is super cute and suits her. It's so fresh!

Serena's reason for this was because
she lost her first Pokémon Showcase. In some Asian cultures, when somebody cuts his or her hair, it is to show that this person is abandoning the past and focusing on the future with new resolve.

Admiral: Well, gentlemen...I just got the order.
*GROUP GASP* :eek:
Sailor: SIR, YOU DON'T MEAN--
Admiral: Yes. You have to know this day would come sooner or later.
Sailor: But-but--
Admiral: We have no choice. It's time to finally--SINK THE SHIP!

Also: Not bad, but I'm gonna miss her long hair. It went so well with her cute outfits... :-(

Well, that I'm OK with. For a moment, I was kinda thinking...

...Serena had simply cut her hair out of pure shame. I know that's also happened to a few Asian people too, when they've underperformed at something.

Well, that I'm OK with. For a moment, I was kinda thinking...

...Serena had simply cut her hair out of pure shame. I know that's also happened to a few Asian people too, when they've underperformed at something.

Exactly my thoughts! It should have been something bigger, a bigger and unforgivable mistake by her.

Cutting her hair should have been more of an act that she wants change herself instead of just forgetting about a lost.

Leaving all the cultural significance mentioned aside, I wonder if this whole "new look, new Serena" thing is the program makers effectively admitting that they pitched her character slightly wrong

Leaving all the cultural significance mentioned aside, I wonder if this whole "new look, new Serena" thing is the program makers effectively admitting that they pitched her character slightly wrong

Well they are certainly trying to make her new. The change in hairstyle is a start.

I really like her new look. She's so my type :D

I wouldn't say they pitched her character wrong. Serena really didn't know what she wanted to do in life and, as we learned recently from her mother, never really kept at things if they became difficult; she would easily lose interest. However, due to her travels with Ash and her interactions with other people passionate about their goals, the faith her friends, mother and Pokemon have in her, and the joy she felt from entering the Showcase, this change in outfit and hair signify her own official start in her life. At least in my opinion.

Her new look is something to help herself and viewers see that explicitly. It also indicates a goodbye (hence the montage) to all the shortcomings that held her back over the years; she's ready and free now to effectively pursue her goal. Emphasis on free because her outfit is considerably much more flowy and light than her previous one.

I'd say from here on out, we're going to see a much more involved, determined and active Serena than pre-Showcase. Regarding her new design, I love it! Short hair does indeed suit her (although I do miss her long hair). Her whole outfit looks very French to me.

Last edited:
I preferred the longer hair, but the short hair looks WAAAY better than it does in the games, so I'd say it's good~ The outfit's cute, but I'd have preferred a different hat; the fedora's pretty much my least favorite in the games~

Overall, the new design is pretty decent~

Serena's new outfit looks like Phi's outfit (a character from Virtue's Last Reward). She looks adorable. Short hair <3

Her new design makes her look much older for some reason, and have absolutely no problem with.

The whole point of her getting a new look is that she's moved on from her doubtful self and that she can achieve anything.

I have to say, i'm in the neutral zone about Serena's new look. What was wrong with her old look?

OMG! She looks adorable!
img_04-2.png

Dissapointed tbh, outfit sucks and I dislike that hair style in game.

It'll grow on me I imagine.

It's encouraging to see her & Fennekin looking dynamic in the new picture tweeted by BulbaNewsNOW -
B9x0jKQCIAAnfRW.png

I wonder what Mirror Serena looks like now?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom