• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

a new solar cycle has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickstr

Reaction score
Just this month a new solar cycle has started and it is known quite simply as cycle 24 which is set to peak in 2011 or 2012. The cycle that just ended is known as cycle 23. It started in 1996 and peaked in 2001. Why is this important? well, the solar cycle effects astronauts in space but not only that also things here on earth as well such as our weather along with radio and television reception and also cellular phone reception as well. In this 11 year period of time the sun goes from being quiet which it is now to stormy and also the numbers of sunspots, cooler areas on the sun from which various types of radiation originate varies as well.

Last edited:
The cycle that just ended is known as Solar Cycle 23. The new one is called Solar Cycle 24.

You just called both of 'em "cycle 24" thish makes your post kinda confusing.

Anyway, if the predictions on the severity of this are true, I say we start storing as much energy as possible now.

Meh, it's not a huge deal. The last couple of solar cycles haven't harmed us, so I doubt this one will either.

it will not but according to some predictions the next solar maximum will be stronger than the one in 1958 which was rather intense but I forget the exact numbers. I know that this might not sound like a big deal but it is to some people.

I don't believe that at all. This was just an astronomical event that would be worth sharing news of as the 11 year solar cycle effects our communications on earth and not only that, the power grid in some cases along with astronauts in space. An example of this that comes to mind happened in Quebec Canada in 1989. After a storm on the sun which resulted in either a CME or an intense solar flare, some transformers were knocked out which resulted in a portion of the province going dark for quite some time.

The Sun enters Solar Maximum roghly every 11 years, the last time was November 1999. And what'd we get? Y2K, which did not have that much of an effect on anything. And the Solar Maximum didn't even cause Y2K. So, what's next in Aug. 2011? Y2.11K? Not really. Few blackouts, meh. That's it.

For the past couple months, we were in Solar Minimum, but I guess we're now n "Solar Medium", if such a thing exists.

As some smart people know, the shit will really hit the fan when that badass meteor that caused worldwide panic in '04 (Apophis) comes back to haunt us in 2029, hitting a gravitational "keyhole" that effectively locks in its orbit to have a 1 in 37 chance of causing serious hell in 2036, the year it might strike. But...that's getting out of hand.

Bottom line: No hell in 2011. Hell in 2036. =)

Not unless you believe in that "end of the world in 2012" crap.

Hey, those Mayans were pretty damn smart people. Not saying I believe that the world will end then, but look at all the other stuff they've correctly identified as happening, for them, in the very distant future -- the Crucifixion of Jesus, WWII, the Bubonic Plague...I'm just saying that if I were to believe anyone predicting the end of the world, it would be them. And it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world -- just the end of this age of humanity.

Anyway...this new solar cycle shouldn't cause that many problems, unless you're an astronaut. Or if you have craptastic cell phone service ALREADY, like I do :(

Technically, the Mayans don't believe that the "end of the world" is coming in 2012, just an end to the current "cycle." Some have interpreted this as meaning the end of the world, when it really just means that the world as we know it will undergo a large change. It MIGHT be the end of the world, but anything's possible.

Also, the Mayans had to stop fucking writing down their calendar at SOME POINT. It couldn't stretch into infinity.

That is right, many things the Mayas predicted actually happened which I guess gives credit to this myth. But the scientific explanation of how the world will end is that the sun will become a red giant and engulf the middle planets while at the same time making the Earth and Mars unbearably hot and then extremely cold if it becomes a white dwarf or perhaps sucking all the planets in if it becomes a black hole. This will happen about 4 billion years from now though, and by that time the people on Earth might have set up colonies on other planets. I don't believe any of the "the world will end in 2012" stuff at all and the 11 year solar cycle has nothing to do with it at all but the eventual end of the world as scientists have predicted does involve the sun. The fact that the sun effects our communications on earth is true, the upper portion of the high frequency or HF radio bands is influenced by the variations of sunspots. The HF portion of the radio spectrum is between 3 and 30 MHz and your average broadcast receiver cannot tune it in at all. The part between 20 and 30 MHz is very strongly influenced by the 11 year solar cycle and at the peak, amateur radio operators in the US have reported being able to talk to others from Europe, Asia, and Oceania on the 21, 24, and 28 MHz bands with as little as 10 watts of power. Others use this too such as airline pilots, radio operators on ships, and also by the government for varying purposes especially for emergency communications. Another way is with solar flares which can disrupt the ionosphere and at the same time kill satellites in space. During the CME in October 2003, a Japanese satellite was killed by the intense radiation from the sun and other satellites have been killed in similar ways.

Last edited:
That is right, many things the Mayas predicted actually happened which I guess gives credit to this myth. But the scientific explanation of how the world will end is that the sun will become a red giant and engulf the middle planets while at the same time making the Earth and Mars unbearably hot and then extremely cold if it becomes a white dwarf or perhaps sucking all the planets in if it becomes a black hole. This will happen about 4 billion years from now though, and by that time the people on Earth might have set up colonies on other planets.

That's a scientific theory, and you're assuming that mankind will still be around in 4 billion years AND in a position to be colonizing other solar systems. Plus, many people use the term "end of the world" to mean the "end of mankind" (because if mankind's not around, why would mankind care about the existence of the world?). The end of man can come through an infinite number of ways, most of which seem poised to happen this century (whether they WILL or not is another matter).

Well, some say that in 2012, the Mayan gods will return to Earth. But, what if the gods were actually Alien species? Will they give us their Technology? What if the Species and their technology were similar to the Asgard on Stargate SG-1/Atlantis? Will our ships will look like the Earth ships on Stargate?

What if the Mayan figured "Ok, we go far enough with our calendar, no need to write a whole other era of it guys, let's call it a day and have a beer."

Also, where did the Mayans predict the bubonic plague, WW2 and stuff? (Let alone the crucifixtion of Jesus...which was in the past for them, not future)

Oh, it's in there. Maybe if YOU knew ancient Mayan you'd see it. But I don't have time to sit here and explain it.

Or, in other words...most of the stuff I found through Google is just about 2012. I know the History Channel did a special on it (and it airs during their occasional "oh, no, the world is ending" marathons), but their site is shit. From what I remember, it was fairly...vague. It was more them predicting a big event and, with how they worked out the calendar to work with the Julian calendar, certain dates lined up pretty damn well. Sort of like...every other prophetic...thing. Wish I could find some good information to remind myself of what I've heard before.

Also, the Mayans had to stop fucking writing down their calendar at SOME POINT. It couldn't stretch into infinity.

They could have... but then the spanish conquistadors arrived and pillaged them off their gold, burned their manuscripts and raped their culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom