• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: A Night In Kanto [A FemmeGymShipping One Shot]

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Sabrina wasn’t used to being close to others. She had spent most of her life alone or with her Psychic type Pokémon. When she started dating Erika, however, she began to open up more. She began to trust others more. Because of this, she began to work on the intrusive thoughts that told her she was an unlovable monster.

It was… strange, in a miraculous sort of way.

So I originally posted this on AO3 only, because I was worried about posting self indulgent shipfic. Now I'm like, "screw it, I though I did good with this".

CW// minor references to anxiety.

The lights of Saffron City glowed like stars as Sabrina and Erika walked down the sidewalk. Erika tried to look up at the buildings, but her eyes were beginning to glaze over. It was one in the morning; she would have been asleep since eight if she hadn’t gone out on the date.

Normally, Erika and Sabrina would have their dates during the day so there would be less of a chance of Erika falling asleep, but Erika insisted on seeing Saffron City during the night at least once. In some places, Saffron City was brighter than the day, so Erika could (sometimes) fool herself into thinking it wasn’t night.

The two had already done a lot of shopping, photo taking, and walking. Sabrina was carrying all of the bags, some with her hands, some with her telekinetic powers. Erika’s walking pace was starting to slow, so Sabrina slowed down, too.

“I see what you mean by the city being your element,” Erika yawned. “It’s so pretty… so stylish… just like you…”

“Do you want me to carry you?” Sabrina asked.

“That would be… lovely…”

Sabrina let go of the bags in her hands, letting her telekinetic powers take over. She scooped up Erika in her arms as Erika began to drift off to sleep.

Sabrina wasn’t used to being close to others. She had spent most of her life alone or with her Psychic type Pokémon. When she started dating Erika, however, she began to open up more. She began to trust others more. Because of this, she began to work on the intrusive thoughts that told her she was an unlovable monster.

It was… strange, in a miraculous sort of way.

-

Sabrina walked up the steps to Tanaka Manor: Stately, white walls; cedar brown, cobblestone roof; windows framed in slate blue. Everything was so simple, yet so elegant.

A sharply dressed man opened the door. His suit pocket had a flower crest embroidered onto it. He seemed rather shocked, either because of Erika or because of all of the bags floating around Sabrina. The man seemed especially worried.

“Erika!” the man gasped. “Is she okay?”

“Just a little tired, that’s all,” Sabrina replied.

The man smiled. "Ah, that's Erika for you. By the way, you are…”

“Sabrina.”

The man's eyes widened. “Oh my! Erika told me that she was going out with someone named Sabrina, but I didn’t realize that she was talking about one of the strongest Gym Leaders and psychics! How wonderful!”

Sabrina blushed. “Oh, well… thank you.”

Erika started to wake up. “Sabrina?”

Sabrina helped Erika stand.

“I should be going to bed,” Erika said. “Thank you for the lovely date.”

Sabrina smiled.

“Goodnight, Erika.”

“Goodnight, Sabrina.”

With one last bow and one last glance, Erika walked into the house. The man watched her walk away, then he turned to Sabrina.

"I don't think we've met," he said, extending his hand towards Sabrina. "Daiki Tanaka. Erika's elder brother, and heir to The Silph Corporation."

Sabrina shook Daiki's hand. She had never been good at introductions, but she knew enough to know that handshaking was a formality.

"Sabrina Nakamura. Erika's girlfriend, and Saffron City Gym Leader."

"I've heard much about you."

"Good things, or rumors about me killing people?"

"Sabrina, if I believed those terrible lies, would I be so happy about my younger sister dating you?"

"I guess not."

Sabrina was worried that Daiki was lying, that he secretly hated her. But she didn't sense any malicious feelings in him. Quite the opposite, in fact; she sensed real, genuine happiness. It was hard to hide true emotions from a psychic.

"If it makes you feel any better," Daiki said, "I think you are a wonderful partner for Erika, and our parents feel the same way. If you two ever decide to get married, they will certainly give you two their blessings."

Sabrina let herself smile as three of the bags landed in front of Daiki.

"Would you take these to Erika?"

Daiki nodded and picked up the bags.

"Goodnight, Daiki."

"Goodnight, Sabrina."

After Daiki closed the door. Sabrina stood silently for a few moments. She slowly lowered the last bag onto the ground so she could pick it up.

Her thoughts would probably make her think that Daiki hated her, that Erika's parents hated her, that Erika hated her. She knew, however, that her logical side, her rational side, knew that those thoughts weren't true. That didn't mean that the thoughts would go away, but it would at least make them manageable.

Besides, she had other things to worry about, like what kind of gemstones Erika would like on her engagement ring.

Last edited:
Sabrina's line of thought is relatable. Well, we don't have psychic ability to precisely sense what others are thinking, but the second-to-last paragraph is almost word-to-word how I've felt too when it comes to dealing with the bad brain juice (with varying degrees of success).

Also Sabrina and Erika are cute together :bulbaLove: I love the comparison to the city in particular.

• Staff
Sabrina's line of thought is relatable. Well, we don't have psychic ability to precisely sense what others are thinking, but the second-to-last paragraph is almost word-to-word how I've felt too when it comes to dealing with the bad brain juice (with varying degrees of success).

Also Sabrina and Erika are cute together :bulbaLove: I love the comparison to the city in particular.
Write what you know lol

I don't know when exactly I started shipping Sabrina and Erika, but I remember thinking "aww, they would be cute together", and the rest is history.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Another review for the February reviewing challenge! Awww, now this was really cute! I normally don't ship gym leaders, as shipping isn't really my thing, but your story made them feel very cute together. I liked reading about Sabrina's thoughts, and I also love the detail of Erika having a brother who is the heir to the Silph Company. My only critique is that you may need to touch up the formatting. Having so much space whenever a new paragraph starts makes the story feel a little too spread out, making it a little hard to read. But it's nothing editing can't fix, and if you're happy with how it is, who am I to judge? Anyway, great work with this one.

• Staff
BTW, got any other shipfics?
Ho boy do I have shipfics :p I mean technically almost everything I've written has some element of shipping (mostly Gracefulshipping lol), but for fics centered on shipping:

I Love You; I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
Proposal fluff
風雨 (Wind and Rain)
Fankid fluff. Really, really short.
You were only waiting for this moment to be free
Darker than the previous two, as it touches on themes pertaining to toxic family.
In the echo of the ocean/In the hunting of the wind
Meet the family gone horribly wrong. Probably the darkest on this list, with themes of bigotry, mental illness, and sexuality.

I also have an AO3 with some stuff I haven't crossposted to Bulbagarden yet! (TorchicWPip)

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! It means a lot to me :)

Ok, to put this into context I understand that this type of one-shot isn't written with the intention of being highly-polished - and, for that matter, that it's self-indulgent anyway. With that in mind, the critique here is really intended more as food for thought, and can be summarily ignored.

She scooped up Erika in her arms as Erika began to drift into dreamland.

The cutesy 'dreamland' here rather killed the mood for me. It subtly connotes a mother-daughter relationship as opposed to girlfriend-girlfriend.

A maid opened the door. by her side stood a sharply dressed man.

Typo in there somewhere, I think.

His suit pocket had a flower crest etched into it.

'Embroidered' would be a better word, I think, or possibly 'emblazoned'.

She telekinetically place three bags in front of Daiki.

Another typo in there.

It's striking how underplayed everything is here. At the same time it's not like some other shipfics I can recall reading, where the ship seemed to be there in name only. I tend to be an advocate of "less is more", anyway. And indeed, there is something to be said for finding the interest in the mundane. Ok, fine, Sabrina is a psychic, and they're both Gym Leaders, but this is a short little narrative about a fairly ordinary date (Aside from Sabrina carrying Erika, there's really not a lot of suspension of disbelief to be done).

If there's anything I would say I didn't like, it would be the anime maid. A lot of that is down to personal pet peeve - fawning servant characters bug me. The way Japanese media romanticises Victorian service jobs bugs me. I won't unpack the whole thing here, because it's the shortest of lines in a self-indulgent one-shot, but there it is.

The last thing to mention would be that I liked how Sabrina being casually telekinetic makes absolutely no difference r.e: anxious/irrational thoughts, because that's precisely how anxious/irrational thoughts work.

Ok, to put this into context I understand that this type of one-shot isn't written with the intention of being highly-polished - and, for that matter, that it's self-indulgent anyway. With that in mind, the critique here is really intended more as food for thought, and can be summarily ignored.
Everything I do is meant to be perfect. If it's not perfect is it even real?
The cutesy 'dreamland' here rather killed the mood for me. It subtly connotes a mother-daughter relationship as opposed to girlfriend-girlfriend.
Fair. I'll fix that.
Typo in there somewhere, I think.
Another typo in there.
Good (not the typos, the pointing out of them). Typos are my scary.
It's striking how underplayed everything is here. At the same time it's not like some other shipfics I can recall reading, where the ship seemed to be there in name only. I tend to be an advocate of "less is more", anyway. And indeed, there is something to be said for finding the interest in the mundane. Ok, fine, Sabrina is a psychic, and they're both Gym Leaders, but this is a short little narrative about a fairly ordinary date (Aside from Sabrina carrying Erika, there's really not a lot of suspension of disbelief to be done).
What shipfics are you reading
I like the mundane. I wish I wrote about it more. Maybe once I finish some of my longfics.
If there's anything I would say I didn't like, it would be the anime maid. A lot of that is down to personal pet peeve - fawning servant characters bug me. The way Japanese media romanticises Victorian service jobs bugs me. I won't unpack the whole thing here, because it's the shortest of lines in a self-indulgent one-shot, but there it is.
I mostly had the anime maid character there as a reference to one of the TCG artworks. That being said, it's a really short line, and the maid could easily be replaced by Daiki.
The last thing to mention would be that I liked how Sabrina being casually telekinetic makes absolutely no difference r.e: anxious/irrational thoughts, because that's precisely how anxious/irrational thoughts work.
Yeeeeeeeee

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom