• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Pokemon for each country?

manaphy910

Pokédex Collector!
Reaction score
Hi! As I was randomly googling, I found this cool drawing of a Pokemon next to a person from each country. Germany had Manetric, the USA had Charizard, France had Milotic, Korea had Huntail, etc.

There was also a thread on Serebii (from last year) that threw in some other ideas, like Ludicolo from Mexico, Granbull/Snubbull for England, Bibarel for Canada, etc.

So, in your opinion, what Pokemon would represent each country?

The ones I'd most like to see are Brazil, Indonesia, Italy, Morocco, the Philippines, and Russia!

But feel free to share other countries as well or alternatives to what I already have (not that I have much)! I can't wait to see some interesting responses! :)

Due to request, I've added a list of some of our more popular responses and my personal favorites. Also, some Pokemon may represent more than one country. And as a reminder, I added some of them because I personally found it interesting. Countries such as Argentina and Scotland weren't popular responses, but I really liked it.

Argentina -- Doduo (ñandú, also known as a "rhea", native animal)
Australia -- Kangaskhan (kangaroo)
Canada -- Bidoof line (beaver)
China -- Emboar & Infernape (Journey to the West), Arcanine (Yellow Pokédex entry states it's legendary in China)
England -- Snubbull line (bulldog)
France -- Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion (Three Musketeers), Mr. Mime (mime)
Germany -- Deino line (English names have 1, 2, and 3 in German)
Guyana -- Mew (Pokémon Mansion journals state Mew was found in Guyana)
India -- Miltank (cows are sacred), Infernape (Vanara)
Indonesia -- Ferrothorn (durian)
Israel -- Golett line (golems)
Italy -- I've heard some interesting responses, but no one has agreed on a single one and I haven't found any of them striking enough. This one needs more suggestions!
Japan -- Vulpix line, especially Ninetales (kitsune), Meowth (Maneki Neko, lucky cat), Froslass (wearing kimono), Castform (teru teru bozu, Japanese charm doll used to wish for good weather), Darumaka line (daruma)
Kenya -- Zebstrika (zebra)
Latin America -- Xatu (Resplendent Quetzal), Sigilyph (kachina doll, Nazca Lines)
Mexico -- Ludicolo (Mexican dancer), Maractus (traditional Mexican dress style and makes maraca-like sounds)
Netherlands -- Drifloon line (windmills)
New Zealand -- Mareep (sheep)
Scotland -- Lapras (Loch Ness Monster)
Spain -- Tauros (Running of the Bulls)
United States -- Braviary (eagle wearing Native American head dress), Bouffalant (bull with afro)

You owe me for that list. :XD:

Last edited:
Argentina could have Doduo.
Why? Because we have this native animal, the ñandú:
nandu.jpg

Or maybe Miltank. We are a meat producing country and have a lot of cows XD And I do mean... A LOT of them.

I could see bibarel/sawsbuck/snivy for canada, maybe chatot for brazil? Emboar could possibly work for china, Ninetales/meowth/frosslass/castform for japan.

I was also thinking of Gyarados for China because of that story of the carp jumping over the bridge (I think?) and becoming a dragon. I remember hearing that story when I was younger.

Most of the Pokemon seem like they are home to Japanese culture. We have: Castform (Japanese weather charm), Lombre and Ludicolo (Kappa), Nuzleaf and Shiftry (Tengu), Vulpix and Ninetales (Kitsune), Darumaka and Darmanitan (Dharma dolls) and the Flying trio in Generation 5 for example.

Maybe in China there will be Spinda (it's a red panda), although we are still yet to get a real black and white panda bear-based Pokemon. Obviously, the fire and fighting starters will feel at home there too. Arcanine is suitable as well.

I also imagine that the more Aztec Pokemon suits South America, particularly Xatu, Sigilyph and Golurk.

Thanks for reading.

Almost half of these pokemons are Japanese inspired.
Mawile, Jiraichi, Ninetales (NOT CHINA), Golduck, Darumaka, Magikarp etc etc.

Well, I think these Pokémon suit these countries:

China: Blaziken, Emboar
France: Smeargle or Escavalier
Germany: Deino, Zweilous or Hydreigon
Italy: Honchkrow, Gallade
Japan: Too many to list! Castform, Darumaka, Froslass etc
Mexico: Maractus
UK: Delcatty, Stoutland
Egypt: Cofagrigus
Nepal: Abomasnow

Lets see...

Australia: Kangaskahn, Corsola
New Zealand: Mareep
France: Cobalion, Virizion and Terakion
South Africa: Sharpedo
Italy: Meloetta

Ok I tried :\

Meditite and Medicham for India seeing as they are directly based on Yoga and seeing as it originated in India...

What would England have? There isn't a fish and chips Pokémon...

I can see the following poke for Australia

Psyduck=Platypus
Emolga=Flying Fox
Sharpedo=Tiger Shark
Heatmor=Anteater
Qwilfish=Pufferfish
Wailord=Whale Shark

England is an easy one best choice says Togekiss seeing as how both are royalty

I agree with Braviary being an American Pokemon. And Bouffalant as well, seeing as it's based on the bison. And Scrafty, since he's based on American punk/hip-hop culture.

Infernape is based on the "Vanara"(a race of monkeys which appears in Indian mythology).
Therefore,Infernape can be associated with India.

Zebstrika should be associated with Kenya.

Infernape seems to mostly be inspired from Journey To The West, if Emboar's any indication. Those two could represent China.

Frosslass should be THE Japan Pokemon. She has a kimono on dohohoh -bricked- There's a lot of choices for Japan...

America is Braviary. People, that one is obvious indeed. ._.
-on that note Alaska should get Stantler and Sawsbuck. D8 Moose. -ducks-

Japan's would be Solrock (with a white background, of course)

If we go by mythology,then my country has Hydreigon and by animals Milotic.

Basically any mediterranean country can have Wingull. And Tauros is Spain.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom