• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: A Pokemon Short Story: Joey & His Top Percentage Rattata

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
@LightningTopaz

This short story is more of an experiment to see how well I can write a Pokemon battle. I actually made two other attempts before doing this one:
Attempt 1: a tournament where the battles are all one V ones and everyone uses Fighting Type Pokemon.
Attempt 2: Ash sets out to defeat Hunter J who had abducted his mother.
Then I realized that I might not be ready for high stakes battles like these two attempts have going for them. Then, I happen to go to Joey's page on Bulbapedia and remembered that when we go to Mr. Pokemon's house, we can see him battling Mikey. We never see that battle, so I decided to take up the challenge of writing it. The other reason being that the battle would be shorter due to the Pokémon not being that strong.
Anyway, here is the story:

"Ready, Mikey?" Joey asks with a grin on his face.

"Sure. Not like you won't stop badgering me," Mikey said with a frustrated sigh.

"What? Are you scared that you will lose? After all, I have the strongest rattata! No one can beat my top percentage rattata!" Joey exclaims happily.

"Joey, just because you won five battles in a row, does not mean you're invincible!" Mikey shouts.

"Sounds like sore loser talk to me, Mikey," Joey said.

"Gah! I'll show you!" Mikey shouts. He pulls his Poké Ball from his belt. "Go, pidgey!" He shouts has he tosses the ball. The ball opens up and a burst of energy fires out and hits the ground. After a moment, a small brown bird-like Pokémon appeared.

Joey looks down at rattata, who looks up at him and nods. "Let's go, Rattata!" He shouts. Rattata runs out onto the field and readies itself for battle.

"Pidgey, take to the sky!" Mikey shouts.

"Rattata, use Tackle!" Joey shouts at the same time.

Rattata charges forward with a growl, running at the pidgey as fast as it could. Pidgey spreads out its wings and leaps into the air, avoiding the attack and kicking up a dust cloud in the process.

"Knew you would do that! Jump at it, rattata!" Joey shouts.

Rattata, using the forward moment of its charge, leaps up and collides with Pidgey, knocking it down. Dust is thrown into the air when pidgey crashed into the ground.

"Pidgey, are you ok?" Mikey asks. Pidgey nods with a slight groan.

"See, told I told you so! Use Tackle!" Joey shouts.

"Counter with Sand-Attack!" Mikey shouts.

Pidgey starts flapping its wings at the ground, kicking up a cloud of dust and sand.

"Watch out!" Joey shouts. Rattata turns and jumps to the side as the cloud is blown towards him.

"Tackle!" Mikey shouts. Pidgey suddenly flies through the dust cloud and nails rattata, sending it rolling several feet along the ground.

"Rattata! Are you ok?" Joey asks. Rattata nods and shakes off some of the dust and dirt that in its fur.

"You're done now, Joey! Tackle!" Mikey shouts.

"Rattata, don't move. Wait until it gets close!" Joey shouts. Rattata braces itself with a slight smile as it twitches its tail.

"What is he up too?" Mikey said to himself.

Pidgey flies closer and closer. "Wait…wait…" Joey mutters. Rattata's eyes suddenly narrow. "Tail Whip!" Joey shouts. Rattata swings its tail at the side of pidgey's head, sending it off course. "Now, finish it with Tackle!" Rattata charges forward and slams hard into pidgey sending it flying into a rock. It tries to get up, but collapses, unconscious.

"Aw man! Pidgey!" Mikey shouts as he runs over to his Pokémon and picks it up. "I'll take you to the Pokémon Center," he said as he stood up. Pidgey lets out a tired chirp. He looks at Joey, who is embracing his rattata. "Don't think that you're so great just because you won! There will always be someone better than you!" He shouts. Then he turns and runs off to Cherrygrove City.

Joey grins widely as he watches Mikey leave. "I can beat anyone. My rattata is the best! I told you so," he said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While Joey is picking some berries off of a berry tree, he spots a red-haired boy. "Hey! Want to battle my top percentage rattata?" He asks.

"Humph. You call rattata top percentage? I'm not about to waste my time with a weakling wimp like you," he said.

"You're scared that you'll lose to my awesome Pokémon?" Joey asks with a smirk.

The boy shakes his head. "You are crazy and delusional to think rattata is good. It’s a weak Pokémon and not any good at all. All it's good for is being replaced by better and stronger Pokémon that can win battles,"

"I think you are a coward for not wanting to battle me," Joey said. Rattata lets out a happy grunt.

"You are not worth my time, you wimp," the boy said as he walks away.

"He totally was scared of us, rattata. I know he was. He knew that he would lose to us," Joey said, looking at his Pokémon with a smile. Rattata nods in agreement.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joey is fishing when he spots someone walking along the path towards him. With a grin, he puts his rod away and walks towards the boy. "Hi. I'm Joey" he said with a wave of his hand.

"The name's Ethan," the boy said with a grin.

"I recently won my sixth battle. You look like a new trainer, though I suppose I shouldn't judge by appearance. I challenge you to battle!" Joey shouts.

"Sure. My Pokémon need some experience anyway. After all, I plan on getting all eight Johto badges," Ethan replies.

"Well, you're not beating me!" Joey exclaims. Rattata lets out a happy grunt in agreement.

The boys walk over to a nearby field to have their battle. "Let's go, rattata!" Joey shouts. The Rat Pokémon runs out onto the field and readies itself.

Ethan pulls a ball from his belt. "I won a few battles myself. Go, totodile!" he shouts, throwing the ball into the air. After a moment, a small blue reptilian Pokémon appeared.

"Your move, Joey," Ethan said.

"Use Tackle!" Joey shouts. With a growl, rattata runs forward towards the Totodile.

"Use Headbutt!" Ethan shouts. Totodile tilts its head forward and charges towards rattata. The two collide with a crash, the impact kicking up some dust. The two opponents attempt to push the other back.

"Use Scratch followed by Water Gun!" Ethan shouts. Totodile swings its claw up and slaps rattata, pushing it to the side. It then opens its mouth and unleashes a blast of water that pushes rattata backwards.

"Are you ok?" Joey asks. Rattata shakes its body, flinging excess water from its soaked fur. It then looks at Joey and nods with a tired grunt. "Use Tail Whip!" Joey shouts. Rattata slowly trudges forward before starting to pick up speed, its wet fur slowing it down.

Headbutt!" Ethan shouts. Totodile charges forward and slams into rattata, knocking it backwards several feet.

Rattata staggers to its feet. "Come on! You got this!" Joey shouts, watching his Pokemon. After a moment, rattata faints. Joey walks over and picks up the Rat Pokémon. "You did well, my friend. You did well," he said, a tear rolling down his cheek.

Ethan recalls Totodile to its Poké Ball. "Joey, I feel that you have potential," he said as he approached the boy.

"Really?" Joey asks.

"Yeah. Remember: there will always be someone better than you," Ethan said.

"Of course. I realize that now. Come to think about it, I have been a bit of a jerk to my friends. I best apologize," he said.

Ethan smiles. "Overconfidence often leads to defeat if you're not careful," he said.

"Good luck at the gym, Ethan. I heard Falkner is a tough trainer," Joey said.

"Thanks," Ethan said with a smile.

The boys shook hands and went their separate ways, Joey to the Cherrygrove City Pokémon Center to allow rattata to rest while Ethan heads on to Violet City.

Last edited:
@LightningTopaz
Thanks!
The reason I added the meeting with Silver is due to the fact that he would be going that way after meeting Ethan. So, it made sense that he would encounter him.
Also, I put in the battle with Ethan since we as the player battle him on our way to Violet City, being the first non-rival trainer we battle.

@LightningTopaz
I did show him doing some fishing before he met Ethan.
Also, I think I did well with these two battles I did. Yeah, they were short. It's to be expected when you are writing a story about trainers with Pokemon that are low level in the games.
What did you think about the battles?

You did well with the details of the attacks, but I would want to see more of what is going on in the trainer's heads. How do they react when their plan is upended? How do they react on the fly to their and the opponent's attacks?

Better yet, how do the Pokemon respond to the heat of battle? Are they fighting for their master's honor? Do they understand the stakes of something like the League of a Gym match?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom