• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Possible Trend

GopherPhase

Reaction score
You know, I noticed something recently. When I was studying up on Pokemon Adventures/Special, I began to notice a trend of sorts going on with some of the male main characters.

Red, who was based off of the player character in Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, and the male player character of FireRed and LeafGreen, had a Bulbasaur.

Gold, who was based off of the player character in Gold and Silver, and the male player character in Crystal, HeartGold and SoulSilver, had a Cyndaquil.

Ruby, who was based off of the male player character in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, had a Mudkip (I'm guessing HE LEIKED MUDKIPZ).

Diamond, who was based off of the male player character in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, had a Turtwig.

Now, notice how the pattern goes:

Gen 1: Grass

Gen 2: Fire

Gen 3: Water

Gen 4: Grass

It went from Grass, to Fire, to Water, to Grass again. This has lead me to believe that if the male player character from Black and White were to appear in the manga, then the Pokemon he would have would, in fact, be Pokabu.

Who here agrees that this pattern may not be a coincidence?

Last edited:
Hmm, the thing is, I've slightly noticed that before. If the male character were to get Pokabu, I would suspect that Belle would have Tsutaja and Cheren would have Mijumaru. I just noticed also that the two other starters would go to people with slightly opposite personalities.

I think that's something many, many others had already figured out.

Personally, I worry my mind with figuring out how will the whole thing be handled to begin with: we have four potential Dexholders and only three starters. Unless one of them does the Yellow role here too, we're stuck at an unsatisfying answer for all...

I'd much rather have Cheren with Mijumaru and Cheren with Tsutarja

..for obvious reasons...
Cheren with two Pokes? :XD2: You love him, don't you? (but who wouldn't? He's cute with those glasses...)

I think it's just a coincidence that this pattern has appeared. While it could be an actual pattern, I think when the time when Special goes to Isshu it'll be a new pattern (due to it being far away and 2 rivals and all).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom