• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: A Post Formatting Idea: A Pokemon Roster in the Header

jasonwolf

Semper Vigilus
Reaction score
So I've been writing my fic for quite a while and have it posted to multiple sites, and I've had feedback from a few different people that they end up forgetting which pokemon are what because of the nicknames and the fact that I use a lot of different pokemon in big brawls. While improvements can be made in the writing I was looking for thoughts of if people would consider it handy to keep a roster at the top of every post with the pokemon and their names for quick and easy refreshers at the start of chapters. I figure it also gives the post a nice top border.

While I refer to my story I'm curious what people think of this for fics in general since we have the ability to post in images and it could be a nice way to show off the pokemon the lead has as they progress (as most stories usually see pokemon added if not also removed)

I would alternate between the nickname of the Pokémon and the name of the specie in the narative, in between I would use terms that describe the Pokémon's specie. Dialogue could help you too; when a character makes a comment such as "Could you get your floppy goldfish out of the way" it is unlikely he or she is referring to an Aggron and more likely to a Magikarp, for example. That way the reader will learn about what Pokémon is called what as he or she reads the story without having to pause to consult a table.

This problem is another good argument for paying attention to a species' physiology. Describing how a pokémon moves and performs moves helps to remind the reader which one they're reading about.

That being said, taking cues from successful action scenes helps. All the best battle scenes I've ever come across rarely focus on more than a couple of characters at a time, pushing other combatants into the background and often breaking up the battle into a series of smaller conflicts

Last edited:
Gotta reiterate what @Iggy and @Beth Pavell said here. I don't really see an issue with listing the pokemon roster at the start/end of chapters - in fact, I've suggested it myself to authors who have massive fanfic character casts, human or not - but you'll minimize the risk of readers getting confused in the middle of reading with their suggestions.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom