• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: A Rainy Day in Chun-Nan

Catz

Goodnight Everybody!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
This is a short thing I wrote as writing practice. I don't think I have anything else to say, so enjoy. ^^

[♪ - Chun-Nan (Night) - Sonic Unleashed]

It was a rainy day in Chun-Nan.

Thick overcast clouds rolled across the open sky, melding with one another in a euphoria of gray shades as they passed overhead, blanketing the mountain town in a dim shade. Then came the rain, starting as a quiet pattering before giving way to a heavier downpour, the scent of petrichor filling the air in the process.

Silver quietly walked along the stone streets, covered by a gray umbrella in his hand. As he passed by, he caught glances of the citizens dotted across the area. They seemed just as active as ever, hardly affected by the pouring rain; some were lined up in front of different shops to buy a warm treat, some talked amongst each other under the shade of a building or with their umbrellas, while others simply took in the atmosphere from the comfort of their own homes. It was nice; it gave Silver a feeling he couldn’t put his finger on.

His attention then moved to his right, to a small vendor selling herbal tea. Curious, he decided to investigate, as a warm drink sounded nice in the weather. As he approached the entrance however, a familiar face suddenly caught his eye.

“Blaze?”

A purple cat opened her eyes at the mention of her name, and stared at Silver from where she was sitting; she raised her eyebrows a little in surprise.

“Silver?” she replied. “What are you doing here?”

“I should ask you the same question.”

He closed his umbrella and moved towards Blaze’s table, taking a seat in the chair opposite to her and resting his hands on the table.

“Shouldn’t you be with Sonic?” he questioned in confusion.

He remembered Blaze had told him she and Sonic were going on some kind of mission together, but she hadn’t exactly given out many details. He noticed Blaze had averted her gaze slightly at the question, her golden eyes filled with shame.

“Is… something wrong?”

Blaze hesitated for a moment, tightening her grip against the end of the table.

“We were separated.” she replied with a slight grimace. “Eggman ambushed us on Dragon Road; Sonic went after him, but I wasn’t able to catch up. I knew a storm was coming, so I found the nearest place to shelter before I could get lost in the rain; who knows where he is now.”

She paused with a sigh and rubbed her temples.

“It’s not your fault, you weren’t expecting the attack,” Silver consoled her, trying to make her feel better about the situation.

A young Chun-Nanian woman walked over to the table and placed down a white marble teapot adorned with intricate gold patterns across it, and a set of three wooden teacups. Blaze managed a small warm smile in her direction.

“Xièxiè, Hualin,” she said to her.

Hualin smiled and dipped her head slightly in response before heading back inside, probably to serve more customers. She picked up a teacup and handed it to the hedgehog.

“Tea?" She offered.

Silver nodded and took the cup while Blaze poured the green herbal liquid into it for him. While the warm drink was nice, Silver had a feeling she needed it more than anything; she was definitely a lot more stressed than usual, unlike the confident, calm Blaze he was used to.

The cat sipped her own drink, her tail flicking in agitation. To be fair, she had a lot on her mind and she was having trouble just trying to process it, let alone calming down from it. The tea was helping though; she could feel her nerves starting to relax themselves a little.

The two sat in an awkward silence for a while, the only sounds being the rain and the faint clinking of silverware in the background. Silver stirred his remaining tea with a spoon, staring at his reflection.

“Where are you gonna go now, then?” He asked in an attempt to break the silence.

Blaze, seemingly distracted, snapped her head up and her ears flattened in embarrassment.

“Could you repeat that?”

Silver nodded with a chuckle.

“I said where are you going to go after this? You can't go and follow Sonic in all this rain.”

“I’m not quite sure yet. Perhaps I could stay here in Chun-Nan, at least until the storm passes.”
“Have you considered renting out a room for the night? There’s an inn on the other side of town.”

Blaze drummed her fingers against the table in thought. She had been out and about for a while now; maybe a short rest could be arranged.

“That sounds… comfortable.” she replied, warming up to the idea.

“I could help you pay for it too. I think I still have some…”

He paused and dug through a small pouch across his chest, pulling out a handful of gold coins. He reached out to give them to Blaze but she held up a hand in refusal.

“No, no, I can pay for it myself.” She assured him. “Why not use that to cover our drinks?”

The gray hedgehog left a small helping of the coins, slipping the rest back into his bag. He picked up his umbrella and unfurled it, holding out a hand towards the cat.

“Shall we be going then?”

Blaze nodded and took his hand and led herself to his side under the umbrella, the two leaving the restaurant. There was silence again, but it was a more relaxed and calming one unlike before. Blaze didn’t like water very much, let alone rain, but she couldn’t say she didn’t like the experience, even if it was as simple as a walk through the town.

Finally the two arrived at a fairly large building, constructed similarly to the rising pagodas found on the Dragon Road outside of the town. Silver grabbed the gray knocker on one of the doors and swung it against the door a few times, awaiting a response. The door then opened, and an older woman poked her head out, a kind smile on her aged face.

“Ah, hello there. Come in, come in!”

She guided the two of them inside, taking Silver’s umbrella for him as she closed the door behind her.

“Seeking solace from the storm, I take it? You don’t look like you’re from around here.”

Silver wiped his gloves with one of the free hand towels at the registration desk, speaking up first.

“Yes, ma’am. My friend didn’t exactly have a place to stay, and I remembered seeing this inn when I was walking by earlier today, so I brought her with me.”

Blaze perked up at the mention of her name and waved shyly.

The woman nodded, stroking her chin thoughtfully.

“I see. Well don't you worry, I’ll get you set up with a room in a jiffy.”

She shuffled herself over to the registration desk and reached for a dangling bronze key hanging on the wall, marked Room S06; she then placed it on the desk in front of Silver.

“There we go. I’ve only got two rules: Don’t make too much noise, and don’t make a mess.”

Silver nodded appreciatively, and Blaze placed a generous handful of gold coins into the tip jar for her.

“Right, thanks again!” he said, taking his friend by the hand to their room.

Once they found their room, Silver immediately took the chance to look around, fascinated by how well-made it looked. Everything was intricately designed with rich reds, jades, and violets, making you feel as if you were sleeping in an imperial temple. No wonder the woman had said to make a mess; he would never want someone to desecrate such art like this.

Blaze on the other hand went straight towards the window, where a bed was laid out, perfectly made up with silk pillows and bedsheets to rest in. She sat on the edge and stared out into the storm raging outside; It was quite a nice view even in the rain, showing the Dragon Road and beyond, enclosed by the overcast swirl of melded clouds in the sky; the rainfall blanketed the gorge beyond in a hazy fog, slightly obscuring the area as well. The weather was relaxing despite its harshness, the sound soothing to the cat’s ears. She could feel her worries starting to slip away like the raindrops sliding across the glass.

She laid herself fully onto the bed to continue watching, but found it hard to keep herself awake, her exhaustion finally catching up with her in a single moment.

Silver, none the wiser, continued to marvel over the room and it’s seamlessly endless beauty.

“Isn’t this awesome Blaze?” he said, looking over to his friend.

When she didn’t respond, he raised an eyebrow quizzically.
“Blaze?”

The hedgehog nudged her for a moment, before noticing she had fallen asleep. His face softened at the realization and he stepped back, sitting on the bed next to hers. It felt weird to be in this position; normally, Blaze would be the one watching over him.

He wasn’t opposed to the inverse of roles however; She was clearly in need of dire rest from the past few days, and he was going to make sure she got it. Blaze was like a big sister to him, and he wouldn’t let anything happen to her for the world.

He rolled onto his back and rested his head against the velvety pillow, sinking into it's softness. It had been a long day for him too, so maybe a quick rest would do him some good. He closed his eyes and let himself relax, eased only by the sounds of the falling rain.

Back
Top Bottom