• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A return to Orre

masterofthez

Reaction score
Who here remembers Colosseum and XD? I do. I played XD a lot as a kid. So my question for the internet is would you want to play a hand-held pokemon game(Gym leaders, wild pokemon, ect.) that takes place in the Orre region after the events of XD? We saw in XD that wild pokemon started to appear again so I think it would be interesting and fun to play through.

Also this is not a "I want a Ruby/Sapphire remake" thread. If you want to talk about that then find another one. This is just about having a main stream pokemon game take place in the Orre region and what it would be like.

I love the Orre Region, it always seemed more dangerous and it kinda made u feel like a cowboy or something lol. I also loved the fact that double battles are pretty much standard in Orre, i think that would be great in a main series game on the 3DS. Sadly i doubt will ever see it. :(

Edit:

Also getting 2 Eevee as ur starters would rock! One Male, One Female

I love the Orre region on a level almost as much as I do Hoenn. A return to Orre may even see more wild pokemon around, possibly from varying regions. They could have had a "cleanup" since the events of XD, introducing wild pokemon and trying to get a better image like Pyrite Town did. Also, Shadow Pokemon was an awesome idea, and I really want to Snag a Shadow Sylveon!
Save the world: Steal Pokemon!

With the 3DS's capabilities, a return to Orre would be pretty sweet. I haven't played XD in probably 10 years (I still own the game but no GameCube or a GameCube controller for my Wii) but I'd love to revisit it. It was such a fantastic region that has been neglected for far too many years. If not a sequel just at least put it on the Eshop.

I played Colosseum (not to completion, though because the mayor keeps kicking my butt) and I loved it. I throw all of my parent's money at Game Freak's faces if they made a game like that. They won't, though.

The main reason that I liked the Orre games is that they deviated from the formula of the main series, while retaining the core aspects (battling and training). Even though free roaming and wild Pokémon could only benefit Orre, a premise focusing on yet another badge quest wouldn't do the region any favors. So I can't see the appeal of Game Freak incorporating Orre as a main region, which is very unlikely anyway.

The main reason that I liked the Orre games is that they deviated from the formula of the main series, while retaining the core aspects (battling and training). Even though free roaming and wild Pokémon could only benefit Orre, a premise focusing on yet another badge quest wouldn't do the region any favors.

That is actually a good point. What may be a good idea is to makes the league an after-game event like the battle frontier but in the badge quest style.

An idea I thought of too add to this topic, would you want Orre to introduce new Pokemon, like a new generation?

Last edited by a moderator:
I replayed Colo again and again because it really pushed the envelope. It's what introduced me to gen 3 and reintroduced me into the franchise. Sadly i'm still looking for XD :( Right now i'm replaying colo for trading w/ Ruby, since i know more now about battle strategy, moves, abilities and breeding than before.

I'd love to see shadow pokemon return and perhaps field moves in Orre like fly & surf would make it feel more like the handheld games. It doensn't need traditional gyms for badge-hunting, since there are colosseums, the pre-gym, and mount battle instead.

To this day I dream of a sequel to Colosseum and XD, but if it were to happen I wouldn't want to see it being adapted as a handheld adventure. In fact, I would much rather see it made for Wii U so that Orre can be seen in glorious HD for the first time. I also hope that Genius Sonority would refine the Shadow Pokemon and snagging mechanic because, let's face it, it was a very good idea but poor in execution. XD suffered in particular because the story became repetitive and tedious as it wore on due to the number of Pokemon available to snag. More exploration and wild Pokemon encounters would be a massive improvement as well.

I hope that this side-series hasn't been completely abandoned because there is still plenty of untapped potential and unfinished story to explore.

XD suffered in particular because the story became repetitive and tedious as it wore on due to the number of Pokemon available to snag.

I hope that this side-series hasn't been completely abandoned because there is still plenty of untapped potential and unfinished story to explore.
I you felt that XD's story was repetitive, I am not sure why you're interested in a sequel. XD had a lot of untapped potential, but I wouldn't call it repetitive. The Purification Chamber made Shadow Pokémon easy enough to handle.

I you felt that XD's story was repetitive, I am not sure why you're interested in a sequel. XD had a lot of untapped potential, but I wouldn't call it repetitive.

You're right - I probably should've blamed the 'gameplay' rather than the 'story'. It was the snag fest that caused me to grow bored of the game, especially from the Cipher Key Lair to Citadark Isle, but the story and motivation to save Pokemon from the hands of evil was engaging enough for me to see it through to the end. A better pacing of encountering trainers with Shadow Pokemon would probably make the experience feel less tedious.

I'm still playing Pokemon Colleseum. I remember how disappointed I was when there was a rumor going around about an Orre Region game coming to the 3DS due to a fake scan magazine scan and an upcoming announcement of a new Pokemon game and then the new Pokemon game turned out to Pokemon Rumble Blast :(.

I don't know why they wouldn't do something like this for the Wii U. It would sell systems, but that would make too much sense.

Doing an Orre Region for the 3DS would be nice, too. Whenever I'm playing Colleseum or XD, I always think how cool it would look in 3D. I have to wonder if that was their original intention with Colleseum since the GameCube was originally designed to be a 3D-capable system.

Last edited:
This official artwork was released in 2005 a short while after XD's release, so it obviously promoted the game albeit indirectly. I wish that the story had continued after the climax with Greevil, with Shadow Lugia escaping rather than getting caught. It would have been great had the game featured a second adventure about tracking down Lugia as opposed to catching more Shadow Pokémon. I feel that Lugia's purification should have been a bigger deal than it actually was (although the requirements were no small feat). We know that Shadow Pokémon need to remember their past in order to open their hearts, so XD was a clear opportunity to explore Lugia's history and its relationship with humans as well as the legendary birds, but suffice to say that Genius Sonority didn't even reference Johto.

Also, the game would have greatly benefitted from including Wes and Rui, as well as a storyline involving the death of Michael's father.

Last edited:
I loved the Orre games; they were a huge departure from the usual Badge quest and I actually felt as though I was doing something significant. Instead of using Pokemon as a means to an end, I was rescuing them. I'd love to see a return to Orre, maybe with some of the Shadow Pokemon having their Hidden Abilities, along with a tying up of loose ends. (I was hoping to see at least a cameo with Wes in XD and didn't get it; I'd like to see that corrected.)

Sadly, since very few seemed to enjoy Orre as much as I, I seriously doubt that we'll get any more adventures in that region.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom