• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review A Ripple in Time

Neo Blaze

At least let me dream a little
Reaction score
Pronouns
He / Him
Last edited:

Ricbolog1310

Battle Dimension Pokémon!
Reaction score
A couple of things to note:
  • Aesthetically, a very weird (in a good way) blend of old and new.
  • This isn't geo blocked, since while featuring Ash it isn't part of the main anime any more than the Pokétoon shorts are.
  • It probably won't be dubbed but who knows.
  • Could this be a sort of an unoffcial preview or testing ground for a future proper reboot for the series?

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Ash's Lucario is his greatest Pokémon!
Reaction score
A couple of things to note:
  • Aesthetically, a very weird (in a good way) blend of old and new.
  • This isn't geo blocked, since while featuring Ash it isn't part of the main anime any more than the Pokétoon shorts are.
  • It probably won't be dubbed but who knows.
  • Could this be a sort of an unoffcial preview or testing ground for a future proper reboot for the series?
I noticed Cynthia and her Garchomp

Sai

Reaction score
In typical OS fashion, only Ash gets to go on adventure while Misty/Brock are left behind and sidelined. Talk about being nostalgic and loyal to how the original series was written! Lol

Ash recognized Celebi so this probably takes place after the 4th movie sometime in Johto. But it's weird it focused on DP characters yet again. I mean Dialga again? Cynthia cameo?

I know this guy made a collaboration but the DP series is promoted so much constantly. If they make a second part expect total focus on DP legendaries like Dialga, Palkia and maybe Arceus yet again

SlyGecko

Lover of lizard Pokemon
Reaction score
I have a bit of a theory on this. It's clear that Ash is sent into the future. But it's also clear that humans are no longer around. We also see that besides Dialga, celebi, and Pikachu, the only pokemon in the future are butterfree and paras. My theory is this. Sometime in the future, Humans and most species of pokemon have gone extinct. The statues were probably made by the last of the humans to honor some of the pokemon that have gone extinct.

Emmy

Cam Girl~
Reaction score
Somebody's been watching too much Dr.Stone. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, as I mentioned last time it's great to see the old artstyle and the cameos by Ritchie, Casey and Cynthia were all appreciated.

It is funny that there was quite a bit of talk about if Ash could be sent back in time to the Hisui Region to adapt PL:A and this short had the reverse with him going into the future. Quite grim to think of how Brock, Misty and all the others are long dead at this point, but also society in general which is interesting. Wonder what kind of apocalyptic event could seeming wipe out just humans.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I get people like Cynthia, but did she really have a reason to appear here?

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
This was actually very satisfying to watch, mainly because it felt like a faithful recreation of the OS' art style. It gave such a sense of mystery and I was interested in seeing where it would go. That familiar "To be continued" at the end makes me wonder if there's more or this is just a one and done thing.

Emmy

Cam Girl~
Reaction score
I could see them making a conclusion to this short once the exhibition ends for those that could not attend. I struggle to see why they would go to the extra effort to subtitle the short otherwise if it’s only in Tokyo. :unsure:

JinksChow

Reaction score
This short really shows that Ash's original character design from OS-DP holds up exceptionally even when using the more updated animation style and art style of the current Pokemon anime.

In addition, we get another cameo appearance from the Mother and Daughter. According to Bulbapedia, this means outside of 2021, we've seen them at least once every year since 2007!

Finally, I almost thought we're getting a return cameo of the Pichu Brothers, but turns out that's not the case... However, the animation director for this short (Sayuri Ichiishi) definitely has a soft spot for Pichu, given that she's the card illustrator for the Pichu Brothers, the character designer for the Camp Pikachu short (where the Pichu Brothers also appeared), and the animation director for Pichu Bros. in Party Panic and JN001 (both of which heavily feature Pichu).

SammyW27

NOBODY EXPECTS A PALDEAN INQUISTION!
Reaction score
Do they really mean it with "To be continued", or did they just throw that in because that's how the OS ended every episode?

Konja7

Reaction score
Ash recognized Celebi so this probably takes place after the 4th movie sometime in Johto. But it's weird it focused on DP characters yet again. I mean Dialga again? Cynthia cameo?

It seems to be the Pokemon League of Johto. However, Misty and Brock were in the audience (in Johto League, they were closer during Ash battles)

Of course, Ash's Pikachu shouldn't know Iron Tail in Johto. So, they seem to take some liberties.

Eitarou

I'm Soi confused
Reaction score
It's not canon, so inconsistencies don't mean anything. Though I have to wonder why they chose Johto specifically.

Islander Princess

My Little Ponyta
Reaction score
This short was really, really awesome. I'm someone who really appreciates how the art style of the anime has changed and evolved over the years, but it was nice to see the original art style again. It looked very vibrant and fluid, and I would actually love to see a movie or arc (something longer form) done in this style. It was also cool to see a lot of former characters make appearances as well (Casey and Ritchie in particular...I'm a little Cynthia-ed out at this point, and I guess she was mostly there to connect to Dialga showing up at the end? Idk.) I'm also a well known OG stan so anytime I get to see Brock and Misty it puts a smile on my face.

The short itself was haunting and quite captivating. I actually would love to see a continuation of it (what exactly is this future Ash and Pikachu are in? What transpired between them being teleported out of the stadium to now? How do they get back home?) so that "to be continued" intrigued me. And I also appreciated the English subs!

Very cool little short. I'm glad it was uploaded so all of us outside of Japan could watch!

Sai

Reaction score
It's not canon, so inconsistencies don't mean anything. Though I have to wonder why they chose Johto specifically.
The artist who made the sculptures said he wanted to base the short on his childhood. My guess is he's one of those people who stopped watching the anime at Johto like most original fans at the time and that was as far as he got into the anime. The DP stuff was likely mandates by the staff for DP advertising