• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review A Ripple in Time

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Last edited:
A couple of things to note:
  • Aesthetically, a very weird (in a good way) blend of old and new.
  • This isn't geo blocked, since while featuring Ash it isn't part of the main anime any more than the Pokétoon shorts are.
  • It probably won't be dubbed but who knows.
  • Could this be a sort of an unoffcial preview or testing ground for a future proper reboot for the series?

A couple of things to note:
  • Aesthetically, a very weird (in a good way) blend of old and new.
  • This isn't geo blocked, since while featuring Ash it isn't part of the main anime any more than the Pokétoon shorts are.
  • It probably won't be dubbed but who knows.
  • Could this be a sort of an unoffcial preview or testing ground for a future proper reboot for the series?
I noticed Cynthia and her Garchomp

In typical OS fashion, only Ash gets to go on adventure while Misty/Brock are left behind and sidelined. Talk about being nostalgic and loyal to how the original series was written! Lol

Ash recognized Celebi so this probably takes place after the 4th movie sometime in Johto. But it's weird it focused on DP characters yet again. I mean Dialga again? Cynthia cameo?

I know this guy made a collaboration but the DP series is promoted so much constantly. If they make a second part expect total focus on DP legendaries like Dialga, Palkia and maybe Arceus yet again

I have a bit of a theory on this. It's clear that Ash is sent into the future. But it's also clear that humans are no longer around. We also see that besides Dialga, celebi, and Pikachu, the only pokemon in the future are butterfree and paras. My theory is this. Sometime in the future, Humans and most species of pokemon have gone extinct. The statues were probably made by the last of the humans to honor some of the pokemon that have gone extinct.

Somebody's been watching too much Dr.Stone. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, as I mentioned last time it's great to see the old artstyle and the cameos by Ritchie, Casey and Cynthia were all appreciated.

It is funny that there was quite a bit of talk about if Ash could be sent back in time to the Hisui Region to adapt PL:A and this short had the reverse with him going into the future. Quite grim to think of how Brock, Misty and all the others are long dead at this point, but also society in general which is interesting. Wonder what kind of apocalyptic event could seeming wipe out just humans.

This was actually very satisfying to watch, mainly because it felt like a faithful recreation of the OS' art style. It gave such a sense of mystery and I was interested in seeing where it would go. That familiar "To be continued" at the end makes me wonder if there's more or this is just a one and done thing.

This short really shows that Ash's original character design from OS-DP holds up exceptionally even when using the more updated animation style and art style of the current Pokemon anime.

In addition, we get another cameo appearance from the Mother and Daughter. According to Bulbapedia, this means outside of 2021, we've seen them at least once every year since 2007!

Finally, I almost thought we're getting a return cameo of the Pichu Brothers, but turns out that's not the case... However, the animation director for this short (Sayuri Ichiishi) definitely has a soft spot for Pichu, given that she's the card illustrator for the Pichu Brothers, the character designer for the Camp Pikachu short (where the Pichu Brothers also appeared), and the animation director for Pichu Bros. in Party Panic and JN001 (both of which heavily feature Pichu).

Do they really mean it with "To be continued", or did they just throw that in because that's how the OS ended every episode?

Ash recognized Celebi so this probably takes place after the 4th movie sometime in Johto. But it's weird it focused on DP characters yet again. I mean Dialga again? Cynthia cameo?

It seems to be the Pokemon League of Johto. However, Misty and Brock were in the audience (in Johto League, they were closer during Ash battles)

Of course, Ash's Pikachu shouldn't know Iron Tail in Johto. So, they seem to take some liberties.

This short was really, really awesome. I'm someone who really appreciates how the art style of the anime has changed and evolved over the years, but it was nice to see the original art style again. It looked very vibrant and fluid, and I would actually love to see a movie or arc (something longer form) done in this style. It was also cool to see a lot of former characters make appearances as well (Casey and Ritchie in particular...I'm a little Cynthia-ed out at this point, and I guess she was mostly there to connect to Dialga showing up at the end? Idk.) I'm also a well known OG stan so anytime I get to see Brock and Misty it puts a smile on my face.

The short itself was haunting and quite captivating. I actually would love to see a continuation of it (what exactly is this future Ash and Pikachu are in? What transpired between them being teleported out of the stadium to now? How do they get back home?) so that "to be continued" intrigued me. And I also appreciated the English subs!

Very cool little short. I'm glad it was uploaded so all of us outside of Japan could watch!

It's not canon, so inconsistencies don't mean anything. Though I have to wonder why they chose Johto specifically.
The artist who made the sculptures said he wanted to base the short on his childhood. My guess is he's one of those people who stopped watching the anime at Johto like most original fans at the time and that was as far as he got into the anime. The DP stuff was likely mandates by the staff for DP advertising

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom