• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review A Ripple in Time

Yeah wow this feels like an upgraded version of the old art style. It looks great, the backgrounds especially look more 'hand-drawn' compared to the current ones. Even Ash and Pikachu's movement looks slower without feeling choppy. I really like Ash's design here. Wouldn't mind if they upgraded this one for later seasons tbh. Good stuff all around.

The artist who made the sculptures said he wanted to base the short on his childhood. My guess is he's one of those people who stopped watching the anime at Johto like most original fans at the time and that was as far as he got into the anime. The DP stuff was likely mandates by the staff for DP advertising
What made the short just "Meh" to me is exactly this: it relying too much on nostalgia to make it appealing.

PaperSplash said:
I didn't really care much for the "plot"

The "plot" isn't the point of this. The point of this short is for it to be a companion piece to the Daniel Arsham art exhibit currently on display in Tokyo.

SammyW27 said:
Do they really mean it with "To be continued", or did they just throw that in because that's how the OS ended every episode?

That's my guess.

The "plot" isn't the point of this. The point of this short is for it to be a companion piece to the Daniel Arsham art exhibit currently on display in Tokyo.
Hence why I put "plot" in quotes.

I looooved the art style here, it took the original style but gave it some of the bounciness of the modern style. I do wish they had gone all-in and recreated the hand-painted cel look, ie Satoshi having a black undershirt and Musashi having red hair, but I suppose since it was supposed(?) to take place around the Johto league it made sense to not try that.

People on Twitter keep saying this should be dubbed but since this is just a glorified commercial (well, moreso than the anime usually is) for something that most people in the US will never be able to go to I never see a dub actually happening. As others have pointed out there isn't really a plot here so a dub would be pointless.

For those who want to learn more about the exhibition, the Pokemon YouTube channel uploaded a short video:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom