• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Special Message from Barry...

Wow, how the heck did I miss this?!

Most people around here who know me know that I've met you a few times in person at the New York Anime Fests over the last couple of years... yet, having you actually post here feels like meeting you all over again... you are now one of us. (dum dum dummmmmm)

Anyway, getting to the serious stuff, I want to give you a very generous amount of applause for the work you do and what you stand for. The message of equality is one that everyone should understand, yet, in this day and age when we finally should, things seem more stalemated than ever. It's because of hardworking people like you that we even have a chance to finally accomplish the ideal of equality, and honestly, I wish I could be as strong in my beliefs as you are.

so jamie is it really hard doing that this especially if you have to do multiple characters? I would be a little nervous if i had to do your job and that is 2 ad u dont get to talk to the other voice actor or actresses I havent gotten to the point to where Barry enetered the series yet i have to watch them on cartoon network since i do not have cable or satellite

Hi Marcus! Make sure you say hi again next time I see you out there at a con! I'm sure it was lovely meeting you, but I'm better with faces than I am with avatars. :)

And thanks for your very kind words - they are much appreciated. And you can absolutely be as strong in your beliefs as I am, if not stronger. Just find out what you can do to help on a local level. In this day and age, all the information you need is available on the internet, just takes some digging and creativity.

Dawn- it can be very difficult, but it's made much easier by having a good director. Tom Wayland, who directs Pokemon is excellent at telling us exactly how the scene should go and working with us so that it sounds like we're all in the same place having that conversation at that time.

Hope you all have a very safe and Happy New Year!!!

I cant afford to go to a convention dont have the money to go and if I did get the money to go I could easily pull off a Dawn impersonation despite my gender my personality isnt much different from Dawn Jamie I will one day see how well you are doing in the series when i get to those episodes can u help me out and tell me which episode Barry appears in

Oh my God I love Barry! <3

Now if only Sarah Natochenny could get an account on here my life would be complete...lol(no really)

Barry's VA is on our forums and I nearly missed it? BARRY'S? Why didn't no one tell me? Man, what a drag...

Anyway, I'm glad that we finally have someone from the show's staff, be it the Japanease or the English dub, here. And yeah, not surprisingly, Barry is one of my faves as well. And the voice you give him is just... spot on.

I have a question though- how do you VAs put on such different voices? I know it takes natural born talents but to pull of voice completely different from one another? Is there are school for this or something?

I have a big question for Jamie that I've been waiting to ask any of the voice actors EVER, and someone from the forums is surely going to hit me for this but....

Do you pair Barry with anyone? And if so, who?(I MUST KNOW IF YOU'RE A SHIPPER)

Okay. Wow...lots of replies...

Now - how many of you have made a video for our World AIDS Day Campaign at www.youtube.com/italkbecause? get on it!!

Now some answers... I'll do my best!

Dawn - I think my first episode is called "Barry's Busting Out All Over." and then I'm in a bunch after that.

Ashfangirl - I love you too! :)

Aladar. - The most important part of the term "voice actor" is "actor." I did go to school for acting and have been on the stage since I was about 10 years old, Some voice actors have a whole lot more experience than me, but I can tell you we all pretty much agree that training is pretty important. Making the character honest and believable is what we all strive to do. Even when we get really cartoony-sounding and our voices go a little crazy, we have to find a nice root for that or there's no reason to get crazy - follow? Hmmm...I guess what I'm saying is we have to base everything we do in a realistic and honest place or else it's very hard to maintain a real character that you can grow to love (or in some cases hate!)

Ashfangirl - I have no idea what a "SHIPPER" is and don't know that I want to know what a "SHIPPER" is. But I can't really comment on who Barry would be paired with. He's too young to be with anyone as far as I'm concerned. And judging from his ego, Barry would do best paired with Barry!

You're right, you don't what to know what a "shipper" or a "shipping" is. It's one of the things that the fandom is infamous for.

And trust me, the fandom is not a pretty place.

Anyway, it's very nice to meet you Mr.McGonnigal. It's great that you're reaching out to the fans and helping to support such a wonderful cause. I would've loved to do something, but I stumbled on this far too late!

I love your voice for Barry and he's one of my favorite characters.

And you are so lucky that squeals don't carry into cyberspace.

You're right, you don't what to know what a "shipper" or a "shipping" is. It's one of the things that the fandom is infamous for.

And trust me, the fandom is not a pretty place.
This. Plus some ae anywhere from G-rated to NC-17 rated. Not pretty. I see Barry paired up with Paul he most often too.

do wish to ask something though: Are you planning on going to any other conventions soon?

Ashfangirl - I have no idea what a "SHIPPER" is and don't know that I want to know what a "SHIPPER" is. But I can't really comment on who Barry would be paired with. He's too young to be with anyone as far as I'm concerned. And judging from his ego, Barry would do best paired with Barry!

Basically, a "shipping" is what the pairing of two characters is referred to in the fandom. Their names all have a maening. For example, the pairing of Ash and Misty is PokéShipping due those two being in the original group. Similarly, the pairing with Ash and May is AdvanceShipping because May made her debut in Pokémon Advanced. Dawn and Ash is called PearlShipping since Pearl is one of the main Gen IV games. At least I think. xD

Anyway, I hope I helped. :)

You sir have just made my day. xD

Pokemon fandom scares me.
Everybody is like, 12. 12 year olds do not do things like...

Oh. Wait.
*facepalm*

Hi Jamie!

I've never had a chance to meet you (hopefully that'll change in time though). I admire your courage however, and have total respect for your willingness to speak out on things that are important to you. It's great to have you join our forums, since you're a great role model and an awesome person, both as a voice actor and an advocate.

I think your work on the show is awesome, by the way.

Hi Marcus! Make sure you say hi again next time I see you out there at a con! I'm sure it was lovely meeting you, but I'm better with faces than I am with avatars. :)

Oh, I'll definitely make sure to get a Bulbagarden shout out - surely Neku will be there too, so it'll be quite amusing.

And thanks for your very kind words - they are much appreciated. And you can absolutely be as strong in your beliefs as I am, if not stronger. Just find out what you can do to help on a local level. In this day and age, all the information you need is available on the internet, just takes some digging and creativity.

You're right. If I had enough signature space, I would put these words of wisdom in.

Just wanna comment on Tom Wayland too, since you mentioned him - he seems like a really cool guy too. I imagine you guys must have a blast working with him.

Jamie it would be nice to meet you and the other voice actors one day

You sir have just made my day. xD

Pokemon fandom scares me.
Everybody is like, 12. 12 year olds do not do things like...

Oh. Wait.
*facepalm*

*evil smile* Wait, how'd you know I'm 12???

12 year olds aren't supposed to write lemons but they do anyway

Good Arceus, I cause problems left and right in this forum...

Happy New Year, Jamie! I'd just like to say Thanks for all the work you're doing with ITalk. Though I do not have a personal relationship with someone who has HIV/AIDS, I've read stories and heard first-hand accounts from people who do. Raising awareness and getting people to talk and share their point-of-view is the best thing we can do for the world. Thank you for being open with people and especially with this community of fans.

And of course, thank you for your wonderful work as Barry. I hope you enjoy playing him as much as we enjoy watching him. :)

Hey Jamie McGonnigal! Happy New Year! :party:

And welcome to the forums! It's so awesome that you've joined Bulbagarden!! ^_^

First of all, I think it's wonderful how you're doing so much work for the AIDS/HIV community. That's such a nice thing to do for people. Also, I completely agree with Neku on the fact that you're a great role model.

And of course, you're an awesome voice actor too! I love your performance as Barry! He's one of my favorite characters, and I've seen all the episodes with Barry so far. You're doing an excellent job of bringing him to life on Pokemon. Keep up the great work, Jamie!! :-D

Also, I don't know if you remember me, but I actually met you at New York Comic Con, back in February 2009. First, I gave Tom Wayland a petition and talked to him for a while, and then I talked to you about the old Pokemon episodes where your characters appear. ^^

Also, after the convention was over, I sent you an email and gave you the information about the DVDs, which have Timmy's father (episodes "Disaster of Disguise" and Disguise The Limit") and Hal (episode "Beg, Burrow, and Steel"). Hope you enjoyed watching those episodes!! =)

I had soooo much fun meeting you, Tom Wayland, Veronica Taylor, and Rachael Lillis at NYCC. It was my very first time getting to meet the voice actors from Pokemon. And I really hope to see you (and the other voice actors) again, at another con sometime. I would love that!!!! ^_^

By the way, Jamie, there was even a group photo taken at NYCC, which has everyone including you, the rest of the voice actors, me, Marcus_Chiaki, and some other fans too - let me know if you wanna see that photo and maybe Marcus or I could email it to you.

And wow, sorry for the long post. But I can't help it. XD I get so excited whenever I get to talk to a voice actor from Pokemon. I really love the show and the people who work on it!! <3333

Anyway, don't worry about typing out my whole username when you respond to this, hehe. You can just call me Lisa. ^^

Last edited:
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.

YOU MET VERONICA TAYLOR???????

Congratulations, Lisa, you're not at my utmost envy. It'd be even higher if you met Sarah Natochenney...

By the way, Jamie, there was even a group photo taken at NYCC, which has everyone including you, the rest of the voice actors, me, Marcus_Chiaki, and some other fans too - let me know if you wanna see that photo and maybe Marcus or I could email it to you.

I don't remember this picture...

Back
Top Bottom