• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Stranger Is Just A Friend You Haven't Met

Illidan

Yes We Can
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this belongs in Pokémon World or here because the subject matter really deals with both.

With my car being repaired the other day, I made a rather lengthy walk from school to work. During the walk, I made my way through a residential area. It was a rather nice day, so many people were outside mowing lawns, riding bicycles, etc. This got me thinking about something.

Almost always (there may have been a few exceptions), whenever Ash, Misty, Brock, May, Max, Dawn or any of their traveling companions encountered a stranger along the road - they would stop, introduce themselves and make effort to become friends.

During my walk, as I passed by other folk, we barely made eye contact. There was no pleasant air of kindness, no pleasantries, just a very awkward feeling of "you're a stranger, I don't know you therefore I don't like you".

Is this just American culture? Is the Animé indicative of Japanese culture? Are folks in Japan more friendly with strangers? I'd be interested to read everyone's thoughts.

I wasn't sure if this belongs in Pokémon World or here because the subject matter really deals with both.

With my car being repaired the other day, I made a rather lengthy walk from school to work. During the walk, I made my way through a residential area. It was a rather nice day, so many people were outside mowing lawns, riding bicycles, etc. This got me thinking about something.

Almost always (there may have been a few exceptions), whenever Ash, Misty, Brock, May, Max, Dawn or any of their traveling companions encountered a stranger along the road - they would stop, introduce themselves and make effort to become friends.

During my walk, as I passed by other folk, we barely made eye contact. There was no pleasant air of kindness, no pleasantries, just a very awkward feeling of "you're a stranger, I don't know you therefore I don't like you".

Is this just American culture? Is the Animé indicative of Japanese culture? Are folks in Japan more friendly with strangers? I'd be interested to read everyone's thoughts.

It's more of what the writers think the Pokemon world is like. Since its a show for kids, having everyone act mean, cruel and unfriendly would send a bad message to people. But having them friendly gives kids the message to be friendly to everyone and everyone has good inside them, like Ash is to Paul.

But it's nothing like Japan. Maybe it's because I was foreign, but Tokyo didn't feel friendly at all when I took a visit there. It's just sort of, polite yet not friendly.

Yeah...people in Japan pretty much keep to themselves. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, Japanese people don't just go up to strangers and start chatting away.

The three weeks I spent in Korea (granted it's not Japan, but it is very similar) gave me the impression that their society can also be rather cold and people are locked into social rules/expectations. However most Asians I met and spent time with turn out to be fantastic friends once you get to know them a bit better. So no I do not think the animé is necessarily an accurate projection of Japanese society, it's slightly more Utopian.

It's probably because in the games you can also just go and talk to anyone and go in their houses...

I've always got the impression that Americans were more friendly to strangers, you hear stories about them somehow talking to random people on buses and inviting them to their houses or as soon as you're neighbours they invite you round their house and stuff. I don't know if that reflects the majority or what, I've just heard they're more chatty to strangers. I suppose this isn't true then.

Yes, the US is definitly much friendlier in that manner than most of the world. Tosing out a friendly "how are you?" to random people as you pass them just doesn't happen a whole lot elsewhere, and is one of the things that surprise most first-time visitors. "Who the hell is that person? Who does she think she is?"

yeah, but I mean at the same time . . usually they don't go up to someone and just randomly start chatting out of nowhere. Most of the time there is something that instigates it.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but Dominicans (and probably Hispanics in general) are extremely chatty and will often just strike up conversations with strangers in lines or waiting rooms and whatnot, or even in buses (if they look like they might be Hispanic, that is)! Adults do this a lot more often than kids, but it isn't a breathtaking thing to see a couple of stranger kids who had never seen each other before chatting off as if they had been buddies since their diaper days even though they'll probably never see each other again.
Although most American strangers that I've met have been pretty friendly as well.

I'm glad that American kids got the "Be nice to everybody. That means EVERYBODY" message! Can you imagine how mean they would be without the teachings of Pokemon to guide their behavior?

I think what you're going on about is highly situational. Sure Ash and co. may talk to strangers, but that's after noticing a problem, quirk or inadvertent bumping into one another.

People can be friendly, but I'd say it's taboo to randomly start speaking with people, rude even. More appropriately, if I've ever started having a chat with someone it's because I've noticed something in particular that they're doing and either I want to help them or ask them more about that thing to see if it matches any of my interests.

I've been in random conversations about the most insane things whether it be money, pet interests, noticing odd behavior, or dropping into conversations about directions to going on about things happening around the region. That said, yeah I tend to eavesdrop, but only with the intent to learn things or figure things out. Often it leads me to interject with something filling to say and the people I chat with are good about it (but I realize times when I shouldn't).

Another reason the people of the Pokemon world may get along so well are because of shared professions. Be it coordinators, breeders or Pokemon training, the people Ash and co. come across are often related to our group or call upon the group's services to fill a need thus sparking conversation. It's human nature to want to associate with others similar to ourselves whether it be at work or abroad.

I think its because if every trainer acted like Paul, Ash and co. could never interact with anyone else but their own group.

The reason why Ash and friends are able to talk to people is that:

1. It's a kids show. Everyone is friendly in a kids show unless it's obvious that they're the "villan" of the episode. In real life, it's not that easy to tell who's friendly and who isn't. It depends on the situation.

2. There wouldn't be much of a plot if all the characters, major or minor, kept to themselves.

3. All the characters have something in common, the main theme of the show, The Pokémon. None of the main characters really associate with someone for absolutely no reason.

To tell the truth, Brock's antics prove that social interaction in the Pokemon anime is very strange.

Crankyman said:
To tell the truth, Brock's antics prove that social interaction in the Pokemon anime is very strange.

But that could be only Brock. I don't think you'll find guys his age act like that around girls constantly.

2. There wouldn't be much of a plot if all the characters, major or minor, kept to themselves.

actually, there could be a plot if the writers weren't going the episodic route and having to find something new (or rehashed) for the characters to start doing every week, but that's another issue entirely.

well, Im kind of a social person and whenever I walk my dog I always smile and say hi to everyone. to me, just a smile and acknowlegement can be enough to make someones day, so why not? i dont randomly tell strangers my life story or anything, but i'll at least talk to them. I think that Pokemon takes social interactions like saying hi to a higher level, so that the episode can develop a plot. we saw it all through Johto. Ash;s group wouldnt do anything but involve themselves in other peoples affairs and help out. plus the people in Pokemon are incredibly friendly and hospitable, so that helps.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom