• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A tad stuck in FR.

GothicEmo

Frontier Brain
Reaction score
Fire Red.
Look at my sig. Those are my pokemon.
I need help beating... Brock.
I know, your thinking 'WTF?' but its true.

Lv 15 Charmander
Lv 12 Pidgy
Lv 8 Pikachu
Lv 10 Beedrill

Any sugestions?

Have never played FireRed, but if I remember correctly from the old days, you can catch a Manky just west of Viridian City. I believe it learns Low Kick pretty early and that will take care of Brock no problem.

Thanks, but I want to keep the amount of pokemon I have low, so I can train them equaly.
I'll use it I have to though.

Doesn't your Charmander have Metal Claw? That should take care of Brock pretty well (unless if your Charmander is like Modest or something). Or at least against his Geodude. For Onix, you might have to heal like hell...

Your only hope might be to do what the other poster said and grab a Mankey/Nidoran (Mankey learns Low Kick at around level 9 I believe, and Nidoran learns Double Kick at around Level 8-10 I believe.

I sometimes use Pikachuu to beat the first gym, but that's not a good idea. Use Metal Claw as Alilatias said. Fire attacks can go well to even if the rock pokemon has resistance to it; they still have low Spec.Def. By some potions and use them.
Remember that he will use an attack that waits two turns and then strikes. Don't attack him when he's loading this attack, because it will counter with double the damage taken.

Oh, yeah. That reminds me. Charmander has Growl or Tail Whip, right? (I forget which one he has)

The attack that Te-em is talking about (the one where Brock's Onix will wait two turns and strikes with double the damage taken) is called Bide. Again, do not attack with any offensive move during the time that it is storing up energy. Instead, use Tail Whip/Growl.

Those moves are actually quite valuable during the first gym, because Tail Whip will lower the opponent's Defense stat (meaning Metal Claw does more damage), and Growl lowers the opponent's Attack stat (meaning that Onix's attacks won't hurt nearly as much as before, note that Bide and critical hits appear to ignore stat changes).

useful to evolve charmander, but i could only win about Lv.18 with it

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom