• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: A Tree (EVERYONE)

Divienne

!!!
Reaction score
A tree sat forlorn on its empty hill,
Master of all that it sees
And seeing nothing.
The joy of youth and alacrity of opportunity had long since fled its form,
Away from a world both sinless and sinful.
For the sky hung cloudy on soul of the Earth and soul of the human,
Though both had long since ceased an agonizing existence.
Gone was self-serving and erecting vain statues in the one's own honor,
But so was the light, starved by the trenches of death.
Only the gentle pushes of the wind, sifting through the tree’s soul towards its fall kept company,
A grim reminder that all life must end.
If trees could weep, a weeping willow would,
But its sobs were muffled and silenced by the creeping hand of the mist
As it crept over the tree’s back where it could not see.
It stretched the curtain of unknowingness over its eyes and the skeletal acceptance
Of the Grim Reaper himself reached beyond the tree’s visage and almost soothingly
Rested his hand upon the mouth and pulled the soul like one would stretch yarn being woven,
Out of its lonely perch and into the blank air.
For the tree could not bear to continue grasping at a world that was no more and finally was no longer,
Bound by Mother Nature’s lightning strike of the ground, the roots.
God finally took back his final angel up to Heaven
And left a world in solitude
Because an era had ended.

I wrote this on a whim when I was half asleep, but I thought others might enjoy it, despite all its flaws. ^^' My other poems will be better, and they'll rhyme, for one. Please, tell me what you think! I'm a little unsure at the moment, but I might continue uploading a bunch of little poems on this thread for others to see.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to review this. I'm dreadful at poetry, for one thing. Let's see ... well, it does show that you wrote this while semi-conscious. Some nice turns of phrase in there, certainly ... it's far from being the worst poetry I've ever read (That honour goes to Feegle poets, amirite Discworld fans?)

It's no a bad poem, during the middle it did kind of drag a bit but that's cause I'm mostly used to the shorter poems. It was intereting though and I liked the ending of it, it actually left me wondering in regards to the background or rather what was around the tree if it was apparently the last living thing.

@Pavell; Thank you~ As long as it's not the absolute worst, then it can still be salvaged. (=ヮ=)೨
@Flaze; I really appreciate your input! :D Thank you very much, I hoped that it would achieve that sort of feeling while I wrote it. ^^' I will, however, edit it; my big complaint with the poem in the first place was the run-on middle, so it's nice to have concrete reasons to change it now!

I love that there's more poetry going on here lately. Great stuff! Some of the bigger words were a bit distracting as IMO they disrupt the beautiful flow you have, but it's probably just a personal preference. You are very talented.

@Legacy; (^~^) Thank you... so much! I never feel more gratified than when someone can say something so nice about what I can make. I'll keep at it, and also try to edit the poem so that it can progress beyond what I originally intended~!

I really love what you have here! It's one of those pieces that's confusing on the outside, yet has such a deep-meaning on the inside. I don't know about anyone else, but I had pictured an old man on his death bed, thinking about everything that he had done in his life. I don't know if that's what you were going for, or if I'm just crazy, but I really enjoyed it.

I hope you'll continue to post!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom