• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: A Twist of Fate (2022 Halloween One-Shot) (Rated T)

Minnachu

Reaction score
A Twist of Fate
1667689267176.png
From left to right: Valeri/Val (OC), Kōki, and Sigrid (OC).​
Val is the younger sister of Barry/Jun. The transfem main protag of the fanfic. 18 years old. Val is an OC.
Kōki is the male character choice in DPPT and BDSP. The cisman secondary protag of the fanfic. 19 years old.
Sigrid is a ciswoman tertiary protag of the fanfic. In her early 20s. She is of Sámi descent, who are a group of indigenous people in Northern Fennoscandia. She is also an OC.

Synopsis: On their first encounter with Yveltal, something happened that would shatter Val's heart. Yveltal's attack strikes the car they're in and it looks as if Val has lost Kōki and their morfar for good! Now stuck in the middle of nowhere with no food or shelter, Val gets desperate in trying to prevent Kōki from dying of hypothermia. Val comes across a kind lady named Sigrid who offers assistance, but is this actually a lucky break or is there more than meets the eye?

CW: Overall this is rated T as there will be deaths mentioned (But no gore, death comes in the form of instant vaporization). Lots of psychological suspense and slight horror to a degree. Will also tackle social and environmental issues, so those who might disagree, be advised.

1667711764402.png
The Hjarta region is outlined in blue. The small red arrow is where this fanfic takes place.

Some language translations:
Morfar = Maternal grandfather
Storebror = Older brother
Papochka = Father (Technically daddy or pappy since it's more informal and a cutesy way to say father).

I want to thank a great friend of mines who wishes not to have her name mentioned for commissioning me the cover for this fanfic!

Last edited:
I see a dark purple cloud and also the Destruction Pokemon - Yveltal in the distance! Both Yveltal and the purple cloud come ever so close to us, as my morfar steps on the brakes.

“Everyone, we should get out of the car!” My morfar suggests.

As I try to make a decision, I see Yveltal start charging his body with dark energy—an Oblivion Wing! Before I know it, he fires a laser that ends up vaporizing all the nearby trees and animals! The purple cloud quickly surrounds our car as Yveltal continues his onslaught and starts making it difficult to breathe. Worse still, Yveltal’s attack even ends up striking our car!

Our car violently rolls over multiple times, which prompts my Magearna to come out of her Pokeball and create a forcefield around me. The others aren’t so lucky, as their seatbelts pop off, and they hit their heads multiple times during the turbulence. Then everything starts going dark and I slowly faint.

“Big sis, big sis, please wake up!” A voice begs me.

“Ugh, where am I?” I question, barely conscious and able to open my eyes.

“You’re awake, big sis!” My Gallade cheers in relief as he gives me a big hug. “I was so worried about you!”

“Are you alright my dear Val?” Magearna asks.

Fully conscious, I see a desolate tundra with nothing but my morfar’s destroyed car in front of me. I see Magearna, Gallade, my boyfriend’s unconscious body, and his Magmortar beside me. Seeing his inert body makes me shiver as a deepening sense of panic comes over me.

“Kōki!” I repeatedly yell as I try to feel his body’s warmth. “Please tell me you’re okay my dear!”

I feel a pulse, but with a terrifyingly slow heart rate. He’s still breathing, but just barely. His face looks pale. My mood sours as I face our Pokemon.

“Magearna, Gallade, and Magmortar, how could you let him get hypothermia?” I interrogate as I punch the cold hard ground. “Magearna, why did you protect me instead of him?”

“I’m sorry my dear Val,” Magearna whimpers. “I only have enough strength to create a single forcefield and you’re my partner. Please calm down, there’s no guarantee he has hypothermia.”

“I apologize, Val,” Magmortar replies. “I made sure to stay by Kōki’s side as soon he got out of the car. However, forgive me, even with my body’s warmth, I couldn’t keep the cold from catching up with him.”

“Big sis, there are no trees nearby,” my Gallade chimes in. “So I wasn’t able to start a fire. I’m so sorry!”

I feel bad for getting angry at our Pokemon who are just trying their best in this terrible circumstance. Still, the thought of losing my dear Kōki scars my heart and makes me cry uncontrollably.
Gallade slowly approaches me, hugs me, and lets out a soothing smile. While fear still clouds my judgement, I feel a lot more secure with Gallade’s comforting embrace.

However, insecurity and despair creep back as I realize my morfar isn’t nearby! I quickly run to his car shouting for him. When I get to the car, I find no sign of him. No one else is here, not even a single body! Flashbacks of Yveltal vaporizing trees and animals, and possibly - no!

Clenching my jaws and fists, I start banging on the cold hard ground multiple times, before shelling myself up trying to cover my tears. While crying and dazing off, I feel a warm embrace surround me. I open my eyes and witness both Gallade and Magearna trying to comfort me.

“Please don’t dwell on the past,” Magearna suggests, “Your grandfather wouldn’t want you to focus on its wrongs. He’d want you to move forward and not repeat the same mistakes.”

“Magearna is right, big sis,” Gallade insists. “You have two people that need you right now, Kōki and yourself.”

It takes me a while to grasp their words of wisdom, but they’re right. If I just stay here and cry, Kōki will surely die.

“Thank you, everyone,” I say, giving a faint smile back. “Let’s meet up back with Magmortar and try to find shelter.”

As I get back to Magmortar, I notice his breathing pace is increasing alarmingly and somehow sweating.

“I’m so glad you’re back!” Magmortar stutters. “His condition looks worse.”

I begin to shake profusely while biting my lips. No, I need to be brave, I can’t cry again. I have a solution!

“This is going to be risky, but can everyone stay by Kōki’s side as I go look for shelter with Scizor?”

“Please let me go with you, big sis! You might need protection!”

I begin to sweat rapidly, as I blink multiple times, only for Gallade to pat me on my head.

“I’m sorry Gallade, you cannot come. I don’t want to risk anything happening to you. Please stay here and protect Kōki.”

Without another word, Gallade just shies away slowly with unorthodox walking. I just feel so bad for having to turn him away, still, it’s for the best.

Just as I let Scizor out of his Pokeball, Magmortar interrupts me with an intriguing question.

“How will you be able to find your way back?”

“Oh you’re right, let me check if my phone has a signal.”

Unfortunately, there is no signal on my phone. Sorrow begins to creep back yet again, only for me to momentarily get distracted by Rotom popping out of his Pokeball. Rotom quickly enters my phone as he gives me a signal!

“You’re welcome!” Rotom smirks.

It’s strange that Rotom remained silent until now. Where was he earlier? Still, I’m grateful for his assistance, so I let out a faint smile and thank him.

I open my maps to find I’m in the middle of nowhere in Sápmi and there isn’t even a single shelter nearby. I begin trembling again and vigorously shake my head. However, witnessing our Pokemon’s expression instantly motivates me. I cannot let them down. I hop on Scizor and wave everyone goodbye, as we fly off.

Scizor’s speed is conflicting. When I tell him to slow down, I get the feeling that I’m wasting time. When I tell him to speed it up, fear of me missing possible homes hits me hard.

“Argh, this is hopeless!” I cry with Scizor showing signs of concern, but still silent and continuing to fly.

I start shivering with the weather playing no role in it. In my daze, I completely zone out Scizor stopping and yelling to get my attention, until I hear an unknown voice.

“Are you lost?” The voice asks me. “What is a young lady like you doing alone outside?”

A beautiful young woman who looks like she’s in her early 20s comes into view with a reindeer.

“Yes, I am! My boyfriend’s unconscious and hypothermic! We need shelter and-!”

Before I can finish my sentence, she holds my hands, gently hugging me.

“Sweetie, please calm down. I’m touched by your altruism. For that, I will assist you. My name is Sigrid, nice to meet you.”

“Thank you so much, Sigrid, ma’am! My name is Valeri or Val!”

“There’s no time to waste! Please hop onto my sled, as my trusted partner, Hildá will take us back to your boyfriend.”

I do as Sigrid instructed, as she commands Hildá to take us to Kōki. Hildá’s speed makes the wind chills more unbearable, causing me to gasp for air in my panic. Sigrid on the other hand sits there silent and calm. Slowly, I see Kōki still guarded by our Pokemon in view. I shiver at the sight of blank faces on our Pokemon. As we quickly get off the sled, I point toward Kōki, begging Sigrid to help.

“Sigrid, this is my boyfriend Kōki, please try to help him as soon as possible! I can’t bear to see him perish.”

“He won’t, I promise. Valtoria, come on out!” Sigrid commands throwing her Pokeball.

Out of her Pokeball comes out a feminine Pokemon with a raven’s head, metallic body armour and wings, silver raven-like feet, and a spear.

“This is my ace Pokemon, Valtoria. She’ll fly Kōki back to my home. I do need to inform you that she flies at the speed of sound, so she’ll arrive back home much earlier than us. Don’t worry, she will create a forcefield to make sure that he will be safe from the velocity.”

I shudder uncontrollably, but slowly assure myself that based on her description, everything will be fine, letting out a smile as I calm down.

“Thank you, Sigrid! I just ask that Kōki is well taken care of before we arrive.”

“Your request will be fulfilled,” Valtoria replies as she carries Kōki in her arms, while our Pokemon return to their Pokeballs. Valtoria quickly bids us farewell and flies off with Kōki.

Just as we hop onto the sled again, Rotom opens my phone giving me a smirk as he greets me.

“Sorry for staying silent. I didn’t want to intrude on that special moment you know? I’m here now if you need a signal!” Rotom assures me.

Without a word, I blow a raspberry as we take off. Hildá begins galloping back to her place. It takes around 30 minutes or so to reach it.

We arrive at a red wooden house with a grass roof and without even thanking Sigrid, I rush into her unlocked home to check on Kōki.

I find him lying on a couch near a warm and cozy fireplace under heavy blankets still unconscious. I quickly rush to him to find he has a warmer body. However, his face is even paler, his heartbeat feels slower, and his breathing sounds worse than I remembered it.

“Oh no, my poor Kōki! Can you hear me? Please tell me you’re alright!”

Fearing there’s nothing more I can do, tears burst out as hug him tightly refusing to let go, despite Valtoria trying to pull me away. Being lost in a daze makes me unaware that Sigrid had entered the room, as she starts to hug me gently.

“Val dear, please calm down,” Sigrid suggests with a soothing voice as I turn my head to face her. “I know you’re worried, however, I assure you Kōki will be fine. I will make him medicine to increase his body heat. It’ll take a whole night to see any noticeable effects, but I guarantee you it will work.”

Sigrid leaves to prepare the medicine, tea, and food for us in her kitchen nearby.

“My lady Valeri,” Valtoria said, “I understand your worry, but please give him his personal space. Warm up a bit, my lady Sigrid will bring over the food and medicine shortly. I promise everything will be alright.”

As I still try to control my fast-pacing heart and constant shivering, I listen to her advice, slowly leaving his side.

“... I suppose you’re right,” I say, still in tears. “Kōki would want his personal space. I’m just haunted by the worst possible scenario.”

“Val, just sit down please,” Sigrid instructs returning with some tea. “Here, have some tea I made. I promise you that the medicine I prepared for him will work. It’s a traditional remedy of ours, you just need to give it time and lend me your trust. Can you do that?”

I slowly walk back a bit, with all sorts of thoughts rushing through my head, unable to feel secure. I close my eyes as I sit down with bittersweet pain rushing through my body. Slowly though, most of the pain goes away and I feel a sense of relaxation. I feel safe and secure now.

“Thank you Sigrid and Valtoria. But at least allow me to take care of him during the night.”

Valtoria nods, while Sigrid puts her hand on her chin standing there in deep thought.

“I will allow that,” Sigrid replies. “However, don’t force yourself to do so alone. I’m also here to help.”

As I let out a sigh of relief, Sigrid smiles and gives me a thumbs up. Suddenly, her expression changes from calm to upbeat.

“Oh, the food and medicine are ready! Please excuse me, I’ll bring them over right now.”

Strange how she’s able to know that the food and medicine are ready without any signals to indicate it.

Valtoria and Sigrid bring us our meals and the medicine one at a time. I quickly feed the medicine to Kōki, before eating. Finally, all the tense pain goes away. As I focus on eating, my movements become sluggish, yet I’m happy with that.

“Thank you so much, Sigrid!”

Sigrid brims with her eyes wide open, smiling and humming a soothing tune.

As I continue to eat, curiosity hits me. I just really want to know more about Sigrid.

“Something on your mind?” Sigrid questions. “Your expressions seem tenser yet again. Hopefully, you can relax.”

She’s right, there’s no point in getting worked up over a simple question.

“I think we should introduce each other,” I reply. “I’m here with Kōki in Hjarta because we were instructed to stop a Pokemon known as Yveltal. To tell you the truth… he - he!” I yell as I burst into tears again.

Surprisingly Sigrid gives me a weird look. Did I say something wrong? Sigrid begins to roll her eyes around multiple times, before finally stopping.

“Val, it’s alright,” she says while trying to comfort me. “When you’re ready, tell me what exactly happened. I am actually a Sámi shaman who specializes in guiding the restless spirits of humans and animals to the spirit realm. Before I met you tonight, I was helping some recently deceased spirits. I will allow you to stay here as long as you need. As long as you’re in my home, you will be safe.”

After Sigrid finished speaking, I begin to tap my feet multiple times, bite my lips, and play with my hair. I want to ask Sigrid if she happened to come across my morfar’s spirit.

Sigrid’s eyes widen and glare at me, as she holds my hands.

“Something on your mind Val? I can sense that it’s about another loved one.”

Suddenly I feel start feeling like a blob, as my eyes flash and I raise my brows.

“You can read me like a book, Sigrid, it’s… a bit unsettling, actually. It’s just on my way here, I lost my morfar because of the actions of Yveltal. He vaporized my morfar with his attack.”

I take a deep breath, as my nerves finally calm down. Finally, I no longer feel like a blob.

“I know it sounds crazy, but…, but I’m just wondering if you could calm my morfar’s soul?”

Sigrid’s eyes widen again, only this time she frowns. She closes her eyes, then slowly opens them.

“My condolences, you truly have been through a lot today,” she tells me while trying to hide her face. “I will gladly help guide your morfar to the spirit realm. For now, I think you should rest. I have a guest room…”

My entire face lit up as I grin.

“Thank you so much!” I say, sighing in relief. “However, I need to stay close to Kōki.”

Valtoria nods, while Sigrid closes her eyes with a blank expression. Slowly, she opens her eyes and nods as well, albeit with only a half-smile.

“Very well! I will see you two in the morning, good night!”

“Good night lady Valeri!” Valtoria salutes before returning to her Pokeball.

After Sigrid leaves the room, I kiss Kōki on his forehead as I feel his body temperature. His body feels warmer now, yes, but he’s still unconscious. At least he seems to be breathing a bit better though.

“Hey Val,” Rotom calls me from my phone. “You might want to take a look at this.”

He opens up my phone’s maps showing me our location. I see an empty plot of land, with no houses or buildings nearby.

“It says that our exact location was abandoned by the Sámi people more than a century ago due to colonization,” he tells me. “There isn’t a single house anywhere in this vicinity. The last update to the map was two hours ago, so it’s not like this house could have been built in that time.”

I start to fidget, as shivers run down my spine. Everything here feels so real, including the warm coziness. What if? But that can’t be!

“I see you’re very careless in your actions and shaking out of control,” he remarks. “Is there any way I can help you?”

While I don’t want to bother Rotom, today’s been exhausting, and I just want to be by Kōki’s side.

“I’m sorry Rotom, I’m really tired. I’m going to sleep by Kōki’s side. Can you please be sure to be on the lookout for any threats? I’m scared truth be told, but I just don’t see Sigrid as a malicious person. I’ll worry about this tomorrow though, good night!”

Trying to fall asleep is a hassle though. I keep on tossing and turning, blinking often, and sweating a lot. As I suffer through this dilemma, Rotom informs me that he’s going to play some Lofi to calm me down. I let out a drowsy “thanks”, as I finally fall asleep.

Deep in my sleep, I find myself in a dark void! Is this just a nightmare? If it is, it certainly feels real.

“You contain Hjartan blood, for that, you must pay!” A weird voice demands.

Huh, what was that voice? I only see myself and empty darkness here. I start shaking, as I try to find the source of the voice.

“Who are you? What do you want from me?”

“You must pay, Hjartan demoness! Your people have taken away everything from me!”

Suddenly my lungs feel punctured, my heart pace feels abnormal, and I feel an intense breeze.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about!” I cry. “Leave me alone!”

“If you will not pay, your loved ones will!”

Just hearing them mention my loved ones wakes me up in a panic. I need to make sure Kōki is alright!

I jolt out of the side of the couch and go to feel his forehead and pulse. Okay, he’s still fine and his body temperature is getting warmer. His breathing is better as well. That’s a relief after that eerily vivid nightmare. I still don’t understand what they meant by I must pay.

As I go to prepare some warm water for Kōki, a tremor hits the house! When the tremor stops, I hear ominous voices yet again! That’s… no nightmare I’m hearing right now.

I take a peek out the window and see Yveltal and a purple cloud fly toward the house. Sigrid’s door caves in and the windows shatter as the purple cloud fills the room! It becomes hard to breathe as the ominous voice begins to speak again, yet there is no one visible. Gallade and Magearna both come out to try to protect me, but I can see them visibly struggling to breathe. I return them to their Pokeballs, whatever is going on, it’s not worth harming them needlessly.

“Hjartan demoness!” An ominous voice from the cloud sneers. “You must pay for what your people have done!”

I start to feel dizzy and my visions blur, while past trauma races through my head.

“Wh-What do you want from me?!” I shout. “What do you mean my people?! Also leave my boyfriend alone! He has nothing to do with this!”

“All Hjartans and those associated with them must pay for the countless crimes your ancestors have committed!”

I try to think back to the stories I’d heard of Hjartan history, all my mother told me was that we colonized the native Sámi people up north. My papochka told me that Hjarta briefly invaded Tsarsila once. Just how severe were the actions of my ancestors? Ow, my stomach hurts!

“Please tell me what are these crimes you speak of?” I beg. “If you leave my boyfriend alone, I will do whatever you wish! Please, I beg of you!”

“No one associated with Hjartans can go unpunished! All must feel the pain that I had to endure!”

“Please don’t hurt him! He’s innocent!”

“Silence, Hjartan demoness! It’s time for all of you to pay!”

My head starts hurting as my vision blurs even more. Maybe I can try to carry Kōki out of here? Oh, what’s the point! Even if I try to escape, Yveltal is still outside and near Hildá!

As I look outside the window, I see Yveltal using Oblivion Wing again. The attack didn’t directly hit the house, but it’s causing another small tremor. It vaporizes all the animals in the vicinity, except for Hildá who remains unscathed.
Strangely enough, after Yveltal finishes his attack, the purple cloud disappears, along with the tremor, and I no longer feel pain in my chest. There are no more ominous voices either. Yveltal lets out a roar and flies off again.

I started feeling Kōki’s pulse and forehead once again and freeze after I notice it feels chillier than I remembered it. Oh no, that dumb incident made his body temperature drop! I need Sigrid’s help right now! But where is she?

“Sigrid, Sigrid! Where are you? Please! Kōki needs your help!”

He seems to finally be making some sort of noise! But it’s just the sound of difficult breathing!

“No Kōki, please hang in there!” I beg and cry.

Filled with fury, all I can think of is the physical and mental damage Yveltal and the ominous being have done to Kōki and me. As I bang my fists on the floor, I hear footsteps. I take a look to find Sigrid rushing inside!

“Hey, I’m so sorry!” Sigrid yells as she tries to catch her breath.

“Sigrid, please help Kōki!” I stutter and shake my body. “Some pur-purple cloud sha-shattered the windows and stormed into here. Y-Yveltal was just outside destroying everything in his path. I-I-I was so helpless and Kōki’s going to suffer as a result!”

“Val I’m so sorry,” she says calmly offering me a hug, which I decline. “I’ll be sure to fix another batch of medicine!” Sigrid exclaims as she rushes to the kitchen.

Sigrid quickly finishes another batch of medicine and passes it to me. I quickly make sure Kōki drinks the medicine, still unable to stop crying.

“Val, I’m sorry for not being there earlier,” Sigrid tells me, her face etched with deep regret. “Something personal came up.”

Sigrid comes close to me, showing signs of concern, offering me a hand to lift me.

“Val, listen to me, please don’t cry. I know you’re a strong brave woman!”

“Yo-you don’t realize how scary that incident was! There was no hope within me before Yveltal and the cloud left! Please, is there anywhere else in your home that’s warm? I can’t lose him!”

I clench my fists, let out an aggressive deep breath, slowly stop crying, and then look Sigrid in the eyes.

“Val, just take a deep breath,” Sigrid says while moving her hands around. “I do have a spare room with a heater. Once you calm down, I will show you.”

I take a few deep breaths to signify I’m ready to go. We each walk upstairs, as Valtoria carries him to our room. I quickly remove his jacket and tuck him into the heavy warm blankets. Finally, I sit down on a chair in the bedroom, letting out a sigh of relief.

“I apologize for getting worked up,” I say with fury building in my eyes as I stare at Sigrid. “It’s just Yveltal and this ominous being from a purple cloud has caused me so much pain! I must stop them!” I yell as I punch a wall.

“You sure are determined,” she remarks nervously while sitting down. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

A part of my conscious did not want to bother Sigrid any further with how much she’s done to help us. Still, Sigrid’s knowledge of spirits and healing will prove too valuable to just brush aside.

“Sigrid, I’m beyond grateful for all that you’ve done to help us. However, I do have one more request. Can you please help me defeat Yveltal and that purple cloud?”

Sigrid’s smile and attentiveness suddenly turn into a frown as she begins to roll her eyes around. She gets up and starts pacing for a bit before sitting down again.

It’s strange every time I mention Yveltal, she just gets all jittery.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to,” I reply trying not to look all shocked.

“Sorry for pacing around. I just want to ask, is your only motive against Yveltal revenge?” She questions with a perceptive eye.

“I’d be lying if I said no. Nonetheless, the main reason is that I was instructed by a Pokemon named Gardevoir to do so. She guided me many years ago, so I trust her judgement…”

Sigrid sits there silent with her eyes closed and with an uneasy expression, before giving her answer.

“Very well, I will assist you in the morning. It’s getting really late. Please try to get some rest.”

I take a deep breath, before letting it out. My nerves relax, as I let out a smile.

“Thank you, Sigrid.”

After Sigrid leaves the room, I lie in bed next to Kōki, with my eyes wide open staring at the ceiling. So many different thoughts rush through my head as I lie in bed. Who exactly is the ominous being? Why is it that whenever I mention Yveltal, Sigrid acts like she’s trying to hide something? Most importantly, why Sigrid was outside? No matter how much I try to dismiss all of this…

“Uuuuuu,” Kōki murmured. “Ugh, where am I?”

I turn around and see him stirring and I sit up unable to control my emotions.

"KŌKI, my dear baby! You're awake! PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE ALRIGHT!"

He turns around, slowly opening his eyes and sees me. He shivers a bit and lets out a shocked smile.

“Just feeling a little cold,” he says. “Where are we?”

Unable to say what’s on my mind, I start crying, but this time they’re tears of joy. As I go to give him hugs and kisses, I can feel that he’s recovered a lot since his body temperature feels a lot warmer, stabilized heartbeat, and much better breathing.

“Val, it’s alright, just calm down. What’s the matter? Your eyes are dilated and you’re blinking so fast! You’re biting your lips, yet you’re smiling and your cheeks are raised. Is everything alright?”

“Kōki, you don’t know how worried I was! Do you still remember Yveltal attacking our car? You fainted and I found you unconscious with hypothermia!”

Kōki starts to jitter, as he closes his eyes.

“I do remember!” he insists while opening his eyes again. “I just want to know, are you alright? I’m sorry for being a burden.”

“Please don’t say that! You’ve done so much for me and I’m so thankful for you!”

Without another word, Kōki and I kiss each other, as I stop crying. I close my eyes, trying to think of the positives. My body slowly relaxes and I open my eyes again, smiling.

“Kōki, so we were stranded at first until a kind lady named Sigrid found us,” I explain. “We’re at her place right now. We’re safe now, so please get some rest.”

He moves his head around for a while, looking at the ceiling and windows, before relaxing his shoulders.

“Thank you, Val. Before I rest though, please tell me if your grandfather is alright.”

Flashbacks of not being able to find my morfar’s body, the constant insults he directed towards my storebror and papochka, his weird obsession with Kōki, and my last words to him all start racing through my mind. I slowly break down into tears yet again.

“Val, please don’t cry!” He pleads waving his hands around. “I’m so sorry, I send my condolences.”

Without a word, I just hug him tightly.

“Kōki, I cannot forgive myself. Why did the universe make my last words to him come true?”

He looks directly into my eyes, slightly shifts his eyebrows upwards, as he tightens his forehead, and then hugs me while comforting me.

“Val, don’t beat yourself for mistakes. I promise we will provide him with a proper ceremony. Take your time to lament, you know I’m always here.”

Kōki’s soothing voice and his comforting hug make me relax. I can’t let my emotions get in the way of our mission.

“Thank you,” I say as I go to kiss him once more before falling asleep.

I wake up to dimming sunlight, probably the most sunlight we’ll get to see for the day. With Kōki by my side, I had no nightmares during my slumber.

I went to check his forehead, causing him to wake up.

“Um good morning Val,” Kōki blushes.

“Good morning sleepyhead, did you sleep well? Also, your body temperature seems like it’s returning to normal! How are you feeling?”

“Still a little cold, drowsy, and tired. Much better though.”

His response instantly warms my heart, as I let out a faint smile, hugging him. Still, with everything deep inside me, my smile becomes a tense frown. I’m trying my best to hide it from him.

“I’m glad to hear you’re feeling and looking a lot better than yesterday! Looks like Sigrid’s medicine did the trick!”

“Shall we head downstairs to meet up with Sigrid?” Kōki asks.

Flashbacks of his condition from yesterday race through my head. I start to feel all blobby again, only for him to calm me down by holding my hands.

“You alright Val?” Kōki questions.

“Yes dear,” I reply with unease. “Just some bad memories from last night,” I say as I put my head on his shoulders.

Kōki starts snuggling with me, giving me a sense of relief.

“When you’re ready, let’s go and meet Sigrid.”

“Kōki,” I say looking him straight in the eyes, “I think you should get more rest. I’ll meet her. She promised to help me stop Yveltal last night.”

“Thanks for your concern, but you know I won’t leave you behind. We’re going to go as a team.”

I widen my eyes trying to suppress my negative thoughts. While I would never forgive myself if Kōki suffers again, he looks like he isn’t going to take no for an answer. Besides, I know he’s more than capable. What good is a relationship without trust?

“Alright, let’s go when you’re ready,” I say as I kiss him.

Without a word, he just blushes and nods.

When we head downstairs, we find a note on the table. I read it:

Dear Valeri, I had to leave early this morning to help calm some distressed spirits. I will come back later in the day. I have prepared medicine and breakfast in the fridge for the two of you. Please do not leave the house no matter what, it’s too dangerous.
Sincerely, Sigrid.

I shiver uncontrollably, as last night’s memories return.

“Val, calm down, please. We’re going to be safe. You read what Sigrid said.”

“Right,” I reply still in a daze. “Let’s quickly eat our breakfast and head back upstairs.”

Just as I go to the fridge to grab my breakfast, I hear Sigrid storm into the room! I turn my head to face her.

“I’m so sorry,” Sigrid pants in visible distress. “We need to leave this place NOW! It’s too dangerous outside.”

I freeze, occasionally twitching after hearing her remarks.

Without another word, Kōki grabs my hand as we run outside. Outside I see Yveltal firing Oblivion Wings from a far distance!

“Val, please hop onto the sled!” Sigrid begs. “We need to get as far away from here as possible!”

Despite both Sigrid and Kōki’s pleas, I stare at Yveltal emotionless. Different emotions rush through my head, as I feel like I’m fading away and that all of this is just a dream.

“I’m going to go and fight Yveltal,” I tell them while turning to face them with intense fury in my eyes.

Kōki takes a step back, with his mouth wide open, while Sigrid closes her eyes, expressionless.

“Val, Sigrid said it’s too dangerous…”

“I’m sorry Kōki and Sigrid, but I must stop him! He to-took away my morfar!” I cry. “I can go alone, it’s fine! I promise I’ll be alright.”

While Kōki remains in shock and is speechless, Sigrid opens her eyes and reluctantly agrees.

“Please hop onto the sled, I’ll have Hildá take you to where Yveltal is.”

I thank Sigrid with a smile, as we all head on the sled and Sigrid commands Hildá to take us to Yveltal.

As soon as Hildá begins to gallop at an extreme speed, Yveltal starts moving further away from us! Thankfully, Hildá’s speed outpaces Yveltal. As we get closer to Yveltal though, I get the urge to want to throw up! Yveltal is firing Oblivion Wings at a nearby village!

“Oh no, Yveltal is going to take the lives of those innocent people!” I scream in horror.

Kōki tries to comfort me, but I simply cannot let go of my fear and anger. My patience is waning, as I try to step off the sled.

“Val, please think logically here!” Sigrid demanded. “We’re almost at the village, just calm down.”

Kōki’s comforting embrace and Sigrid’s reasoning did make me calm down briefly. However, that all ends as I witness Yveltal use a Dark Pulse attack against the villagers!

“Why is there so much pain and suffering? What purpose is there?” I cry without any control.

Rotom quickly left my phone as he uses a Thunderbolt against Yveltal from a far distance. Yveltal let out a cry of pain.

“Thank you Rotom!” I cheer. “I needed to see some good news.”

Despite Rotom repeatedly using Thunderbolts, Yveltal seems to have no interest in fighting Rotom.

When we finally got near the village and got off the sled, I see the purple cloud near Yveltal!

While my nerves feel all frozen at the sight of both creatures, I also feel an adrenaline rush pumping through my veins. I must stop them!

“Magearna and Magnezone come on out!” I command. “Magerna, use Fleur Cannon! Magnezone, use Thunderbolt!”

Both Magearna and Magnezone’s attacks hit Yveltl directly, causing Yveltal to scream in pain.

“Torterra and Magmortar come on out!” Kōki commands. “Torterra, use Stone Edge! Magmortar, use Thunderbolt! Rotom, please continue to use Thunderbolt!”

While Yveltal dodges the Stone Edge, both Thunderbolts strike Yveltal hard.

As our Pokemon continue to fight Yveltlal, Sigrid is just standing there with her eyes closed. She’s trembling and it looks like she wants to speak, but is unable to.

“Sigrid, please help us!” I beg. “Please use Valtoria! She’s a Fairy/Steel type, she’ll help immensely!”

“No Val, I cannot do that,” she says with her head down.

“Huh, what do you mean? You said you’re going to help us fight Yveltal!”

Sigrid did not reply as she stands there still and motionless, still with her head down.

The area feels so surreal all of a sudden. What exactly am I feeling? It’s like my body is frozen, I can’t even control my facial expressions! What is this?

I’m able to quickly snap out of my state when I catch Yveltal preparing yet another Oblivion Wing. Strangely enough, he’s also manipulating all the windmills nearby to produce a massive storm, which instantly knocks out Torterra and Magmortar, while still doing significant damage to our other Pokemon! Not wanting them to sustain more damage, Kōki and I return them all to their Pokeballs.

“Big sis, I want to fight!” Gallade pleads.

“No, it’s way too dangerous! Yveltal’s new attack managed to severely hurt multiple Electric and Steel-Type Pokemon! I cannot let you hurt yourself!”

With our strongest Pokemon all injured or fainted, the village in ruins, and the screams from the villagers surrounding the area, I break down crying with my hands covering my head.

“Sigrid, how could you? You betrayed us!”

Two of my Pokemon have just fainted from a single attack, while my third one is struggling. My girlfriend is kneeling on the ground crying uncontrollably. But what can I do? If my strongest Pokemon can’t even stand up to Yveltal, what else can?

To make matters worse, the person who I thought is here to help us has abandoned us completely. All I see around me is destruction. All I hear is screaming and crying. I don’t want to be a coward, but I can barely even move. My entire body is twitching and I feel completely powerless.

Wait, something just strikes my mind. I’ve yet to see Yveltal launch a single attack against our Pokemon directly, outside of the windmill attack. Even then, Yveltal himself was about to use Oblivion Wing. I remember it vividly, the purple cloud started flying around just before the windmill went awry!

I begin to shrug my shoulders and shrink trying to analyze the situation at hand until I hear Val scream!

“Help, help me!” Val screams.

To my horror, I see the purple cloud surround Val as Val continues to scream and cough violently.

“Please somebody help me!” Val yells with difficulty breathing.

I feel a major adrenaline rush deep within me, as I sprint to the scene.

“Leave Val alone this instant, or else!” I threaten with fiery eyes.

The purple cloud pays me no attention, as somehow they and Val both disappear in a blink of an eye! The last thing I hear is an ominous laugh.

“Val? Val? VAL! Where are you, Val?” I cry as I start stomping and punching the cold hard ground.

I feel so pathetic. Why is it I fell ill the moment I got here? Why is it that Val had to save me yet again? I’m such a terrible boyfriend! Val deserves so much better than this! It should have been me!

“Kōki, I’m so sorry,” Sigrid says as she gets close to me.

Unable to control my anger, I grab Sigrid by her scarf demanding an answer.

“Sigrid, why did you not do something? You just stood there the entire time!”

“Kōki, please…”

“No just shut up! What good reason did you have that you just allowed my girlfriend to be killed? It should have been you!”

Sigrid begins to weep a tiny tear, as she shivers with her eyes closed and her hands up. I stand in a conflict, as a part of me wants to use physical force, while another part wants to just back away.

“Kōki, I’m so sorry! I wanted to do something, but my hands were tied!”

“You were just standing there. You’re a coward!”

“Kōki, stop this right now!” A deep dark voice from nearby commands.

I look around to find that Yveltal is the one who said that, as he lands on the ground.

“So you two are in this together?” I question with more fury building up. “I should have known all along!”

“Kōki, please just listen to me!” Sigrid begs. “I’m sorry for hiding a lot of secrets. I had to hide all of this from you two, just to make sure everyone is safe,” she cries. “There’s this vengeful spirit that threatened to kill all my family members if I’m to mention him to anyone. I’ve been trying for months to try to calm him and bring him to the spirit realm, but he refuses. He says he won’t stop attacking Hjartans and those that associate with them until he gets his revenge.”

I let go of Sigrid as I start kneeling on the floor trying to make sense of all that happened.

“Kōki, please accept my sincere apology,” Yveltal says expressing guilt. “I’ve been trying to stop the spirit as well, but all my fights have been stalemates. If I’ve ever caused any trouble, I’m sorry. It’s not easy to control my attacks when the spirit tries to take people, hostage. I promise you I have no intentions of hurting anyone and will do my best to make sure I hurt no one.”

I have my doubts about Yveltal. Gardevoir instructed us to defeat him for a reason. However, I’ve yet to see him once directly attack us or another living being.

“I believe you Yveltal. Sigrid, I’m so sorry for acting up. I just can’t fathom losing Val!”

“It’s alright Kōki,” Sigrid says in a soothing voice comforting me. “Val is not dead. What Val calls “vaporized” is just the spirit taking living beings into the spirit realm. I don’t know what he plans to do with them, but I promise Val’s alive.”

While I fidget around, I realize I have nothing to lose trusting them.

“Kōki, Sigrid and I can bring you to the spirit realm. We can go search for Val and also stop the spirit’s rampage. He could come back here at any time.”

I put my index finger and thumb on my chin while lowering my eyebrows. I have to make a decision now and I have to make it quick, Val needs me!

“Alright, I’ll come with the both of you! I do have one question, since you already mentioned him to me, wouldn’t that jeopardize your family, Sigrid?”

Sigrid looks away for a bit shaking her head before speaking.

“Unfortunately it is a consequence I have to live with. I just feel terrible for not informing you earlier. Please forgive me.”

I give her a pat on the back, smiling.

“Sigrid, I forgive you. I promise that your family will be safe. Let’s hunt down this spirit right away and save Val!”

Sigrid smiles while Yveltal gives me an awkward look as they both started chanting in an unknown language. The chanting opens a small portal. It looks somewhat similar to Ultra Wormholes but much smaller and with more patterns and colours.

“Whenever you’re ready,” Sigrid says, “we’ll head in.”

“I’m ready Sigrid,” I nod with confidence.

“Before we go in,” she replies, “let me heal your Pokemon.”

I give her the three Pokeballs of my Pokemon that fought, as she chants some words.

“Thank you so much, Sigrid, I’m ready now.”

Yveltal takes the first step into the portal and Sigrid follows. I slowly let go of my fear as I step in.

The spirit realm looks similar to the Distortion World. Physics seems to be much different than our world. There doesn’t seem to be a concept of gravity as I can jump very high and slowly land on the ground.

“So does anyone know how to find this single spirit?” I question.

“I have a deep connection to him,” Sigrid replies. “Yveltal will carry us as I guide him to the spirit. I sense him far away from here though, so please be cautious, it’ll be a long journey.”
Yveltal commands Sigrid and me to hop on his back, before taking off.

Where am I? Why can I barely feel my arms and legs? I wake up to see myself in a place similar to the Distortion, only with legions of spirits flying around. Wait, does this mean I’m dead? If I’m dead though, wouldn’t that mean I can just freely move around here? Instead, as I try to move my hands and feet, I find that I’m chained to a floating wall!

“Looks like missy is finally awake!” A mysterious voice chuckles.

It feels like a sharp knife is stabbing my heart as I start to panic and stutter. It’s him!

“You were the one who haunted my dreams and brought me to this place! Show yourself!”

The mysterious being manifests in front of me as a spirit of a Hjartan man in his mid-20s.

“You are in my world now and you have no power here!” He cackles maniacally. “My name is Søren Haugen. Your people have taken everything away from me! But I have you where I want. You see me and my comrades here are all deceased spirits that were affected by wealthy Hjartan families. Thankfully the last few weeks I’ve been able to gather enough bodies for us to transfer our essence to, once we’re done our mission.”

Looking around my surroundings causes me to tremble seeing multiple unconscious bodies around. What horrifies me the most is seeing my morfar’s body floating around. However, seeing how he’s not in a spirit form, means he’s still alive!

“Morfar, morfar! Can you hear me?”

“Silence Hjartan demoness! Your screams are useless. All of you will be vessels for my comrades and me.”

“If you promise to let everyone else go, I promise you can use me as a vessel!” I plead.

“Oh, I will be using you as a vessel alright!” He chuckles. “However, all my comrades need bodies of their own once we enact our revenge.”

It feels like I’ve frozen into time, as I also struggle to move my facial expressions. Intense horror clouds my judgement, as the last thing I want, is for him to commit terror against my family.

“I have a particular interest in you,” he said. “I can sense that you’re different than the others. You have this power in you that I can’t explain. You have your own team of powerful Pokemon as well. It’ll suit me well, living as you.”

“You’re a creep! Please tell me in detail what exactly we did wrong, and who you’re going after!”

He gloats for a long time before stopping to answer my question.

“Very well, listen carefully Hjartan demoness! I’ve worked on an oil rig for at least five years. The labour was intensive and painful. Still, I did what I needed to support my family. Just a month ago, I had to work in harsh weather, and I was unlucky enough to be killed in an accident.”

He pauses for a moment as he flies around uncontrollably. I can sense his anger and pain. Truth is, I feel sorry for him now.

“As I was saying, I was killed, thus I must find out where the oil baron lives and kill him!”

“Søren, I’m so sorry that you had to go through all of that! What those barons did was cruel and unforgivable. If you let all of us go, I promise you I will help you find these barons, so you can enact the proper revenge. I have a friend, who…”

“Silence! Hjartans are a plague on Earth. Once I kill the baron, I still need to live the life I undeservingly lost. With my own powerful Pokemon, I can defend my people from oppression!”

I honestly don’t know what to think. If I was in his position, I’d also probably be full of vengeance. All I can do is beg and cry.

“I’m sorry for what the oil baron and my ancestors have done to your people. But these people are innocent and we all have a common goal of peace and harmony. I’ve already promised to help you, so please just leave us alone!”
Without another word, he resumes his maniac laugh as he manifests back to his cloud form flying towards me!

I’ve lost track of how long Yveltal has been flying. Thankfully no confrontations yet.

Sigrid with her eyes closed the entire time as she chants in her language, occasionally turning her head away, and panting frantically is causing me great concern.

“Is everything alright?” I ask.

“Yes I’m fine,” she replies with her head turned away.

“Sigrid, if you need to talk, I’m here to listen.”

Sigrid sits there silent, slowly opening her eyes, letting out a half smile, and then begins to talk.

“It’s about the spirit. His name is Søren. I met him at a festival that my people were celebrating. He was on his day off, dreading returning to work. We introduced each other and he told me that he came from an impoverished large family. His family was affected by the environmental damage from big companies nearby.”

Sigrid pauses for a moment trying to contain her tears, before speaking again.

“He was the sweetest and kindest person ever. He told me how much he respects our way of life and is deeply sorry for what his ancestors did to us. I assured him that he bears no responsibility and that his current actions are all that matters. He then broke down into tears, crying about how he’s making matters worse.”

Sigrid finally burst into tears as she tries to hide her face.

“Hey, you don’t need to continue if…”

“No it’s okay I will, just give me a moment.”

Sigrid meditates for at least a few minutes before resuming her story.

“He mentioned that he’s an oil rig worker. He used to go to countless protests directed at oil companies. He says there were no other good-paying jobs in the area, so he was forced to work at the oil rig to support his family. He promised that he would right the wrongs of his past. On the days he didn’t work, he would always be active in environmental and social justice events advocating for change.”

Suddenly, she starts smiling, but you can hint at her sorrow deep within her.

“I fell in love with him as a result. He understood my goals so well, yet he tragically passed away from an accident at work.”

Sigrid’s mood completely sour once again as she begins to cry, so I start comforting her.

“Sigrid I’m so sorry. I send my condolences.”

“Thank you Kōki,” Sigrid said as she hugs the life force out of me. “I cannot bear to see another innocent person hurt. We need to calm…”

Before Sigrid can finish her sentence, Yveltal interrupts us by firing a Dark Pulse at a group of Ghost-Type Pokemon!

“They’re not supposed to be in here!” Yveltal screamed. “I’ve been away too long!”

I see a gang of Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar terrorizing the local spirits.

“There are more Ghost-Type Pokemon swarming this realm!” Yveltal complains. “My absence from my duties in our world has caused them to invade this realm. I will push them back to our world, then rejoin everyone. You two, go and stop Søren!”

“Are you sure you can handle all these Pokemon by yourself?” I question with deep concern.

“I’m a Dark-Type, I absolutely will be able to! Just go now, please!”

While I sit there in a daze, Sigrid lets Valtoria out, and Valtoria starts carrying me like a baby in her arms, startling me, while carrying Sigrid on her back.

“I’m sorry Kōki, but we need to go!” Valtoria instructs.

“Good luck Yveltal!” I wish, waving him goodbye, while he fights off legions of powerful Ghost-Type Pokemon.

Valtoria’s speed and forcefield mean we don’t have to worry about the legions of Ghost-Type Pokemon in this realm. Still, it’s driving me insane and full of guilt for not being able to help. My main focus should be on how to save Val and stop Søren though. Suddenly, the urge to ask how Sigrid even knows Yveltal strikes my mind!

“Sigrid, can you tell me how you know Yveltal?”

“So I was on a mission to calm Søren as usual. I saw Yveltal in the sky attacking Søren. Not knowing Yveltal’s powers, the last thing I wanted was to see Søren’s spirit perish. So I brought out Valtoria, as she tried to fight Yveltal. While Søren quickly overwhelmed Valtoria, Yveltal and Søren are still evenly matched to this date.”

Fear shivers down my spine yet again. Without Yveltal, we’re dealing with a supernatural being that can effortlessly take away bodies and overwhelm a pseudo-legendary Pokemon.

“Are you alright Kōki? I know it will be a hard fight, but I know I can bring reason to Søren.”

“Yeah, I’ll be alright, sorry just jitters.”

Unable to comfort me the usual way, Sigrid did her best to give me a few gentle pats.

“May I continue my story about Yveltal?”

I nod yes.

“The fact that Yveltal never fought back against Valtoria and pleaded on how he needed to bring a dangerous spirit to the spirit realm, made me trust him as an ally. While Søren has taken many lives, Yveltal’s presence greatly reduced the possible casualties. I can’t thank him enough for that.”

Appreciating Sigrid’s details, I breathe a sigh of relief. The thought of how Val would take this info is bothering my mind though. While I’ve never seen someone as open to changing their minds and forgiving others as Val, Val has never lost a close family member at the hands of someone either. Speaking of Val, to my horror, I see Gallade in the distance being tortured by Søren! I try to tell Valtoria to go in that direction, but words cannot come out, as I blink repeatedly.

“Kōki, are you okay?” Sigrid questions.

“Si-Si-Sigrid! Look over there!” I stutter pointing at Gallade.

“Valtoria, fly towards Søren and use Blessed Spear as soon as you get close!” She commands.

“Why you hurting yourself?” Søren mocks Gallade in possession of his body forcing him to attack himself.

“No, I will never join you! Leave my big sis alone now!”

“You will serve me, or you will perish!” Søren laughs.

“Please leave him alone!” I cry and beg.

“I will break free, I will protect you big sis I promise!”

Extreme guilt clouds my mind as I try to figure out a solution to save Gallade and the others. When Søren tried to attack me, Gallade came out of his Pokeball as he tried to fight Søren. All Søren has done is torture him! I can’t bear to see this any longer!

“No, I won’t give up!” Gallade yells fighting with the last of his strength until he collapses.

“Gallade, my dear Gallade! Please tell me you’re okay!” I beg as I returned him back to his Pokeball. “I’m sorry I couldn’t help you!”

“Silence you demoness! He’s collapsed from exhaustion. That’s what you’ll get if you resist!”

Søren manifests back into his cloud form as he surrounds my entire body causing me difficulty breathing yet again. However, just before he can take over my entire body, I see a spear, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt all hit him at once!

“Leave my girlfriend alone!” Kōki demands.

“Søren, please stop this right now!” Sigrid orders.

“Kōki!” I cheer. “I’m so glad you’re here!”

Why is Kōki with that traitor Sigrid? Seeing how Yveltal isn’t here, did he defeat Yveltal?

“Sigrid! What did I tell you about exposing me to strangers?” Søren questions furiously. “You and your family will pay for this!”

“Søren, enough of this nonsense!” Sigrid commands. “Let these innocent people go! Your grudge should only be held against Magnus Albrecht, not these people!”

My mouth drops as I try to make sense of this. Not only is Sigrid defending us, but she happens to know Søren?

“I will not let my people suffer at the hands of Hjartans! My people…”

“Your people?” Sigrid questions. “You’re Hjartan yourself! How dare you pretend to be Sámi!”

I shake my head and look around the area. So all this time Søren deceived me?

“Sigrid, silence! You will pay for betraying me!” He screams while storming toward Sigrid.

Without a word, all Sigrid did is raise her right hand, which instantly repels Søren.

“Remember Søren, you cannot hurt me!”

“I may not be able to hurt you,” he chuckles, “but you’re also powerless to stop me!”

“Please Søren, just listen to me!” Sigrid begs. “I know you’re angry at losing your life and your family not being properly compensated. But, think this thoroughly, what do you accomplish by enacting your revenge on innocent people? Also, you mention that you’re doing this for my people. But take a look around you, all the deceased spirits of my people are uncomfortable with your actions. They’re frightened but just don’t want to tell you. They do not want you to carry out your revenge.”

Søren quickly reverts to his spirit form and tilts his head forward a bit.

“If I may Sigrid,” I say. “Søren, please listen to me, I have a friend named Mizuki who is a tech genius. She has a program that can track anyone in this world. We can find Magnus Albrecht and bring him to justice!”

Søren starts to pace around, before slowly stopping. Sigrid looks down at her feet as she shakes her head.

“Søren my dear,” Sigrid says. “I know that your tragic passing affected our relationship. But why be the culprit for ending another loving relationship, the bond that Val and Kōki have? You’ve finally come to the spirit realm yourself, please just stay here and find your inner peace.”

It all makes sense now! Sigrid and Søren used to be a couple and after the tragic passing, Sigrid wants to protect Søren but also wants to protect herself and her family. That’s why she’s been so secretive. I feel so bad for distrusting her now.

“Sigrid my love,” Søren says while slowly beginning to cry. “I’ve missed your embrace so much. I’m sorry for what I’ve caused.”

Sigrid let her guard down as she and Søren got closer and closer before hugging each other. Both broke down into tears, embracing each other’s presence.

Kōki came to my side trying to free me from my chains with no success.

“Kōki, I’ve missed you so much!”

“Me too Val! Don’t worry I’ll get you out of here!”

As Kōki continues his endeavours to free me, I witness Søren commit the unthinkable! He overwhelms Sigrid’s body in his cloud form, petrifying Sigrid, and causing her to collapse!

“Sigrid, how dare you betray me?” Søren cries uncontrollably. “This is what you get for betraying me!”

After venting, he begins to absorb the essence of all spirits nearby! All I can do is cry and beg for him to stop, with no effectiveness.

Valtoria tries to fight him but is quickly knocked out cold. As he continues to absorb the essence of other spirits, Kōki commands all six of his Pokemon to come out and fight. Just like Valtoria, all six are quickly defeated.

“Resistance is futile! Anyone who is not with me is against me! I will take over this entire realm if I must!”

“Søren, why would you absorb the spirits of those that you care about?” I question petrified from fear. “How could you?”

“I don’t care about anyone who betrays me! Now I will force you to tell me how to track Magnus Albrecht down. If you refuse, I will inflict pain on you! Once I am done with him, you’re next!”

Despite all the odds against us, Kōki refuses to give up, standing in front of me.

“If you want Val, you need to go through me first!”

“Brave my boy, but beyond stupid!” Søren cackles as he surrounds Kōki, taking him away and also chaining his arms and legs to a floating wall! “Now watch as I torture your girlfriend!”

As Søren gloats, I see Kōki’s frustration reach an uncontrollable level. Somehow, I can feel energy coming from him!

“All this suffering…” He says faintly trying to contain his emotions. “All for what?”

Kōki’s body begins to glow in green energy, as he manages to break free from his chains! He quickly flies towards Søren at a speed my eye can’t even process and punches him right in the face.

“LEAVE US ALONE!” He demands. “I won’t tolerate your evil any longer!”

Søren looks directly at me as he panics and takes a step backwards.

“Ho-How did you do that?” He questions with horror in his eyes.

The worldbuilding in this was very good!

I think a Nordic region like yours would be a good thing to have in the Pokémon world!

And the cliffhanger too... what will happen next, I wonder...?

Hey thanks for the feedback! I'm just trying to find my motivation to finish the rest of the cliffhanger and upload it elsewhere hehe. But yeah, a Scandinavian and Nordic region has always been in my interest and I'll definitely develop it more!

ive been meaning to read this one for a bit, and... wow.

this was quite the suspense. definitely not what i had anticipated, which i guess tells me that maybe i should approach things with an open mind and not judge by the title. the way the two betrayals were depicted were also not what i had expected, but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

having a story be told through different perspectives is always interesting, in this case with valeri and kōki. really enjoyed it.

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. First things first, I thought that the cover art for this was really cool, and I like how Yveltal is looming over everything, but sort of blends into the foreground. It makes Yveltal look very ominous and all-encompassing.

This story starts off with a bang, which works well since there's so much happening. Hitting people with a ray of death is a great way to get the ball rolling imo, and it also helps tip the status quo way out of normal.

“Magearna, Gallade, and Magmortar, how could you let him get hypothermia?” I interrogate as I punch the cold hard ground. “Magearna, why did you protect me instead of him?”
I thought Val was established pretty early on as someone who wants to help but is well out of her depth. She's stressed here, and ultimately it's because she's powerless--but that doesn't stop her from venting her frustrations. It's not exactly admirable imo, but it is very human, and it sets up for the later confrontations very well. And she certainly has priorities for her frustrations: her morfar is fatally wounded, and the choice between focusing on him or her boyfriend is certainly a harrowing one, but it's one that she makes without hesitation. And luckily everyone agrees that the grandfather would be okay with this choice--I think this ties in well to the general speculation of if the people of the past would've wanted vengeance, and the neatness in them uniformly agreeing with the people of the present. Not sure! I think the grandfather death fell out a bit, and I'm not sure if it was strictly necessary, as there's already a ton of tension if just Val and Koki are in the car when it explodes.

I liked the transition/introduction into Sigrid's part of the story. I thought you did a really good job of portraying that she's concealing something; there's a definite thread of tension throughout these bits that mostly just gets built by someone doing nice things for the protagonist (normally a good thing), but genre-savvy readers tend to be a little uncertain when nice women and cabins appear in the woods promising to help. I thought she secretly was Yveltal for a bit, haha.

For me, the meat of the story begins once the cards are on the table and we see where Yveltal and Sigrid's loyalties lie. I'm a simple fellow; I see "will also tackle social and environmental issues" and I'm interested haha.
“I’m sorry for what the oil baron and my ancestors have done to your people. But these people are innocent and we all have a common goal of peace and harmony. I’ve already promised to help you, so please just leave us alone!”
“Søren, enough of this nonsense!” Sigrid commands. “Let these innocent people go! Your grudge should only be held against Magnus Albrecht, not these people!”
I find stories that deal with past atrocities pretty fascinating, since at their core they tend to require a resolution to feel like a good story, but atrocities often don't get resolved in neat little bows--it's not often that it's just the one evil oil baron and then the one angry guy who do bad things to wholly innocent individuals. I think what strikes me the most about this throughline as you present it here is this idea of "innocence"--that "these people are innocent" and "we all have a common goal of peace" and "your grudge should only be held against Magnus". And the idea that Soren is acting in bad faith and assuming Sigrid's trauma is certainly a compelling one, and cuts to an interesting dilemma that's often at the heart of social justice--can you champion someone else's cause without co-opting it?
I try to think back to the stories I’d heard of Hjartan history, all my mother told me was that we colonized the native Sámi people up north. My papochka told me that Hjarta briefly invaded Tsarsila once. Just how severe were the actions of my ancestors? Ow, my stomach hurts!
Tying back into "innocence"--I think having Val be mostly ignorant about the plight of the Tsarsila people was a realistic one. "Just how severe were the actions of my ancestors" is another awkward dilemma at the heart of discussions of history tbh, and as with her venting her frustrations higher up I found her insistence on innocence to be understandably human. And I find that people often conflate ignorance and innocence--so again, quite human. But I found Val's focus on innocence to be a little dissatisfying, since it focuses mostly on placing blame--on who should be held accountable and punished, instead of who should be helped and healed. Sigrid's correct in stating that Soren attacking random, unknowing Hjartans won't help the Sami people--but what will? And is it fair or responsible--and arguably innocent--for modern day Hjartans like Val to be ignorant of what their ancestors did to get them to where they are today? And does Val care about that, or is she more concerned about making sure that the right person (Soren) is punished so that the surviving Hjartans can return to their common goals of peace and harmony--kind of like Soren's more concerned about punishing the right people (Hjartans) so he can then live the life he feels he deserves?

And wow lol these are heavy questions. I see why there's a cliffhanger here; there's definitely a lot of open questions, and it's not like these questions really get answered in any amount of time tbh. I thought you set up some interesting dilemmas about guilt/blame/retribution vs "and what comes next", and I'm certainly interested in what Val thinks should come next.

I also really liked the Nordic worldbuilding here, the fakemons, and the Yveltal lore. I thought these were all really creative ideas and I liked how you brought them to life on the page! Thank you for sharing!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom