• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

another thing was that in Gold I was trying to figure out was that why I kept falling in the Lighthouse...

when i was a young lad(lol) i had just gotten FR. i walk into the grass after getting my pokeballs, no pokemon appeared so i went to my bag and hit "Toss" on my pokeballs, took me till cerulean to cath a poke.

"Charizard, go rape mistys pokemon

I could not figure out the ice cave puzzle in Gold for some reason. It took me like 2 years to finally figure it out.

I didn't realize you could breed pokemon in my Gold game. I had put a male hoppip and a female jigglypuff in the daycare and then I got an egg and it hatched into a igglybuff and I thought I had created a new pokemon :dumb:

It took me weeks to get through Victory Road in my original Sapphire.
And then I couldn't get to Spear Pillar on Diamond, because I couldn't see the cave opening on the side of the mountain. I gave it to my friend to get me up, and not only did he do that, he caught Dialga for me. I still haven't seen the Spear Pillar scene on Diamond for myself.

In SoulSilver, I'd just beaten Clair and she didn't give me a badge, so I kept talking to her for about five minutes, thinking I'd 'wear down her resistance'. I had similar trouble with Whitney (but thankfully, I have all 16 badges in both my SS and HG).

But you know what the really stupid part was?
I'd already beaten the E4 in HeartGold at this point. I gave myself a well-earned facepalm.

It took me two days to figure out how to go up the Olivine Lighthouse in HeartGold. I thought that the door that you jumped out of was just another window until I finally realized that it looked different than the rest and I decided to walk into it (since I had nothing to lose)

It took me two days to figure out how to go up the Olivine Lighthouse in HeartGold. I thought that the door that you jumped out of was just another window until I finally realized that it looked different than the rest and I decided to walk into it (since I had nothing to lose)

It took me 'til after I beat Chuck.

Trapinch evolves into Vibrava. This may seem a bit obvious, but I had a "guide" (which had the most errors I have ever seen, and it was licensed by Nintendo) that said Trapinch didn't evolve. They don't exactly look similar. Only the Ground typing. This came from the same guide that said Ralts didn't evolve into Kirlia.

I couldn't beat Chuck so I just decided to beat Jasmine and Pryce and Team Rocket in the Mahogany hide out first. Then I realized that you had to beat Chuck in order to get to the Radio Tower part. So that took a while. And since I love to fight the gym leaders with the same amount of Pokemon, I was using two random Pokemon that were doing horrible. It took me a while to realize "Wait.... Bayleaf can beat Poliwrath!"
A few hours of my life wasted.

In Ruby, my first Pokemon game, I accidentally defeated Groudon without catching him, an hour later after i saved my friend told me I could've saved before battling and restarted. I banged my head on a table when he told me that. :banghead:

When I just got my first Game Boy (a GBA SP) when I was 7 years old, I got a Sonic game and a few days later it gets stolen by a [what seemed like] drugged day-care lady (my mom worked a lot), so, mom and I go down to Wal-Mart to pick out another game (This was all the way back in 2005, mind you ;]) and I saw Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald laying in cases; I picked Emerald. When I saw the box art, I grew a quick liking to the Pokémon on it. When I picked my starter, I picked Treecko thinking that it would evolve into Rayquaza, the Pokémon on the box art! Later in the game I was having trouble with the Mossdeep Gym and sure enough, my Grovyle evolved into Sceptile. I was really disappointed T_T. But, back then Pokémon was extremely new to me, too. And now I've gotten so "into" Pokémon that I have 2-3 Action Replays loaded with cheats and a full arsenal of hacking tools that I use a lot—so yes, I've come a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pearl was my first mainstream game, and I was a giant n00b to Pokemon, so I didn't bother to level anything other than my Torterra.
That might not've been so bad by itself, but I didn't know Ground was weak to Ice when I got to the seventh Gym.

"WHAT THE HECK?! WHY IS TORTERRA TAKING SO MUCH DAMAGE FROM HER ATTACKS?!"

Ten tries until I finally beat Candice.

This. I had to look it up on the internet.

i got lost for 3 hours in mount moon in leaf green but then i was still a noob at pokemon back then.

Back in yellow I had no idea about type advantages/disadvantages. I wish I had caught a Mankey, it would have made taking on brock easier.

How I defeated Brock? I raised the most random pokemon, Nidoran M and tried Double Kick against Brock. It freaking worked and I finally got a boulder badge.

Proof that I still don't know everything about Pokémon:

Just yesterday, I bought a used copy of Sapphire and began a new game. After catching a Wurmple and having it evolve into a Cascoon, I spent a couple of minutes soft-resetting in vain for a Silcoon before I bothered to look up the exact specifics of its so-called "random" evolution. Turns out Wurmple's evolution line is based on personality values and is thus determined before you even capture it. D'oh. That's ten minutes I'd like to have back.

In SoulSilver at the moment I've been having a tough time catching certain Pokemon. I later realized that I never trained a "status affecting" Pokemon like Caterpie or Weedle so my capturing technique was to get their HP in the red and just throw Poekballs at them until they're captured.

Also I tried catching Entei and Raikou with Ghastly as soon as he learned Mean Look and then again with a freshly evolved Lv 25 Haunter. I really don't feel like training it for the sake of catching 2 Pokemon :(

Back when I was playing my first pokemon game (Red), it took me a while to figure out I could save the game. I just kept turning it off and playing from the beginning a few times

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom