• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Abilities that Pokemon should/should not have

Anime Psyclone

Moved to PokeCommunity
Reaction score
So, what abilities should Pokemon have and not have?
I’ll start.
Mega Ampharos should get Tangling Hair now that it exists. It helps with it’s slow speed and makes sense due to it’s hair.

Mega Ampharos should get Tangling Hair now that it exists. It helps with it’s slow speed and makes sense due to it’s hair.
Thematically appropriate and pretty cool, yes, but I'd just use Agility for a greater boost without any input needed from my opponents.

Lessee... Gengar really could do way better than Cursed Body, that ability's better suited for the bulkier Pokémon who don't fold to these powerful hits and Gengar can already lock moves with Disable anyway (which is categorically better since the move still works when the user has a Substitute active, unlike Cursed Body).

I would add Prankster into its HA slot because dropping Levitate means it's lost the automatic Hidden Ability veto given to everything with only Levitate. Gengar are also known to be mischievous Pokémon too, so that new ability would suit it.

If anything Durant should have Heatproof because it’s supposed to protect against Heatmor

Heatproof doesn’t prevent Fire attacks and it’s not like wonder guard where it takes no damage from non-super effective hits

Kanto:
Nidoking: Moxie
Nidoqueen: Queenly Majesty
Ninetales: Cursed Body
Ninetales-A: Wonder Skin
Hypno: No Guard
Dodrio: Scrappy
Exeggutor: Telepathy
Exeggutor-Alolan: Mold Breaker

Johto:
Meganium: Flower Veil
Crobat: Merciless
Jumpluff: Aerilate
Sunflora: Grassy Surge
Bellossom: Dancer
Forretress: Skill Link
Girafarig: Adaptability
Delibird: Refrigerate

Hoenn:
Ludicolo: Dancer
Shiftry: Long Reach
Camerupt: Berserk
Cacturne: Sand Rush
Altaria: Fluffy
Walrein: Sheer Force

Sinnoh:
Bastiodon: Bulletproof
Rampardos: Rock Head
Wormadam-Plant: Filter
Wormadam-Sandy: Solid Rock
Wormadam-Trash: Bulletproof
Vespiquenl: Queenly Majesty
Floatzel: Friend Guard
Drapion: Tough Claws
Carnivine: Stakeout
Lickilicky: Unaware
Tangrowth: Tangling Hair
Electivire: Electric Surge
Magmortar: Mega Launcher

Unova:
Samurott: Lightning Rod
Musharna: Psychic Surge
Audino: Triage
Stunfisk: Dry Skin
Golurk: Heatproof

Kalos:
Talonflame: Reckless
Slurpuff: Thick Fat
Aromatisse: Misty Surge
Clawitzer: Sniper, Sheer Force
Aurorus: Dazzling
Tyrantrum: Moxie
Gourgeist: Flash Fire, Flare Boost
Avalugg: Clear Body

Alola:
Crabominable: Fluffy
Salazzle: Limber
Lurantis: Tinted Lens
Golisopod: Battle Armor
Turtonator: Aftermath

:p

edit: Vespiquen, not Victreebel.

Last edited:
Herdier and Stoutland should have Fur Coat now that it exists and bump off Sand Rush in exchange. After all, a lot of their dex data says that their fur acts like cushions to limit damage, but it doesn't have Fur Coat, which halves physical attacks. And what type is predominately physical: Fighting, which is the line's sole weakness. If it could gain Fur Coat, physical moves, including most Fighting moves, would be cut down to size, giving the line a lot more bite to its bark. The line itself is pretty solid on its own, so if it could gain Fur Coat instead of Sand Rush (which is outright useless on it, especially since weather got nerfed), then the line could be absolute beasts.

I wish the Electabuzz-line had access to Lightning Rod instead of Vital Spirit as a hidden ability or, better, as a second ability. Static is okay, but their bad defenses don't really allow them to take full advantage of it. Vital Spirit makes sense due to the line's feral nature, but I'd rather have something a lot more useful to choose from. Besides, kind of makes the whole "electricity diet" (which is another ridiculous thing but that's going off-topic) thing a tad inconsistent since when you think about it, taking damage by electric-attacks or lightning or whatever else is like getting hit from the plate on your food and taking damage from it.

Anyways, I want them to have Lightning Rod. Would be a big help in Doubles. Much more than Static or even Motor Drive, and especially Vital Spirit.

The Eon duo could have Illusion.
Generally more than one pokémon with Illusion with also reasons to not have it would make the ability much more interesting and actually useable.
And it works really well with the way both pokémon play. (Maybe a bit too well, but I mean, they're legendaries, so whatever)
Although I'm thinking more "Latias dodges threats and sets up" than "surprise Draco Meteor on your face".

As for why thematically, half of the time they're said to refract light and make illusions with it. In other media you'd think that's basically nearly their main ability. It makes a lot of sense for them?

The Goomy line should have Water Absorb as one of its abilities. I mean, a lot of its dex data states that it absorbs water to stay hydrated and whatnot, and Water Absorb does exactly that. And since the line is very heavy on the theme of water in general (needing rain to evolve, learns a few Water moves naturally despite not being a Water Mon, found in swampy areas, etc). It has the odder ability of Sap Sipper, which I think should go the wayside in favor of Water Absorb. Hydration is fine, however, as it utilizes rain, as the line learns Rain Dance naturally AND requires rain to evolve to Goodra, so that ability can stay. But I think it should bump off Sap Sipper in favor of Water Absorb, since it would fit the line's lore and water-related theme. It would still grant it an immunity, but since Water is more commonly used, and more widespread, than Grass, it would make more sense for it to have Water Absorb instead of Sap Sipper.

Honestly, the Goomy line needs a water typing in general. But Water Absorb certainly fits it.

I feel like Golosipod could've done better than emergency exit, It's not a good ability overall and while it makes sense for Wimpod, who obviously ain't dealing with anything voluntarily, the powerful Golosipod doesn't fit it. Maybe something along the lines of Huge Power or some kind of reverse Defeatist.

Also, Zubat line has inner focus, which makes no sense.

Honestly, the Goomy line needs a water typing in general. But Water Absorb certainly fits it.

I feel like Golosipod could've done better than emergency exit, It's not a good ability overall and while it makes sense for Wimpod, who obviously ain't dealing with anything voluntarily, the powerful Golosipod doesn't fit it. Maybe something along the lines of Huge Power or some kind of reverse Defeatist.

Also, Zubat line has inner focus, which makes no sense.
Inner Focus was slapped on a lot of things back when it was in the first batch of Abilities created. It's not a terrible Ability I guess but it does seem misplaced a lot of the time and doesn't really help a lot of the Pokémon it's on.

Swellow and Taillow - Sturdy

Would fit them.

Diance - Quenly Majesty

Octillery , Kecleon , Chesnaught - Disquise

Luxray- Dazzling

Uknown - schooling

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom