• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

About banned users......

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Leeney*

Eeny Leeney Miny Mo!
Reaction score
Sometimes when I see Who's Online I see some banned users on the list. Doesn't being banned mean you can't log in.(Sorry for the stupid question)

I thought it was that they can't post or anything, but they still can get on.

You can't post and you're blocked. You can still read, but you can't use your account to post. Anyways, does anyone know why Habunake was banned?

Anyways, does anyone know why Habunake was banned?

He broke repeated warnings to stop being a jackass. Compared to other users his crime was relatively minor, but it was the fact he never learned that did him in.

I dont get it though. Why not just make a new account? Well, they probably dont really wanna be here anyway. I think they're probably just bored -_-

I dont get it though. Why not just make a new account? Well, they probably dont really wanna be here anyway. I think they're probably just bored -_-

Some of them do, but they get found out and banned again.

I think if your banned, you must never go on again.

Believe me, sometimes some of us wish that were true.

It's called an IP ban. If the user is so annoying the admin can just IP ban him which will prohibit that user from ever signing up again. It's a very nice tool to use on trolls who fail but it's easy to get around it...kinda

We actually have an addon that's supposed to prevent banned users from logging out and making a new account. It's not perfect, but it does the job well enough on many banned users.

We actually have an addon that's supposed to prevent banned users from logging out and making a new account. It's not perfect, but it does the job well enough on many banned users.

Wouldn't it be more effective to blacklist an IP and impose a block? This might not be well for those in dorms and/or shared Internet, but many services use it.

Wouldn't it be more effective to blacklist an IP and impose a block? This might not be well for those in dorms and/or shared Internet, but many services use it.

Doesn't work so well for those who have ip addresses that change, which is kinda common with DSL users.

Overkill IMO; also, non-static IPs as mentioned above.

It's easy enough to bypass, especially with expiring cookies and just outright deleting them. Or even simply use another browser. Though it really only stops the underage whiner types (the ones you really have to worry about would know better).

Anyone clever can evade a ban on a site. Of course, you need to do it effectively. Don't go parading in announcing you're back under a new name and the admins suck, can't get rid of you, etc. You gotta wait a while, lie low, and then come back quietly. Change your habits a little. The most important thing to keep in mind that they do not need to know you were formerly banned. I've done it before on other sites. >_> Not with malicious intent, mind you. So...uhh...yeah. <_<

Overkill IMO; also, non-static IPs as mentioned above.

It's easy enough to bypass, especially with expiring cookies and just outright deleting them. Or even simply use another browser. Though it really only stops the underage whiner types (the ones you really have to worry about would know better).

Anyone clever can evade a ban on a site. Of course, you need to do it effectively. Don't go parading in announcing you're back under a new name and the admins suck, can't get rid of you, etc. You gotta wait a while, lie low, and then come back quietly. Change your habits a little. The most important thing to keep in mind that they do not need to know you were formerly banned. I've done it before on other sites. >_> Not with malicious intent, mind you. So...uhh...yeah. <_<

Boom! System Error has hit the nail on the head. Discussion over, go back to your homes people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom