• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

About Cyrus

JB88

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I joined a couple of days ago, and I have been viewing the threads for weeks now. However, I have not seen a thread about Cyrus, the next Giovanni, and maybe even better version of a man who wants to become a God.

Who thinks Cyrus is the best villain, as considering the games? Never before, have I seen in a Pokemon game where a person threatens to blow a whole town up (Celestic City, "KABOOM!"). I thought controlling people or their Pokemon was enough to be living through as a nightmare in the Pokemon world, but blowing up a town??

What will happen when he's introduced (At this rate, mid 2009)? Looks demented, and hmm, with Hitler personalities, maybe?

Hope this becomes a good discussion and not another weak junk thread.

i have a feeling that cyrus will show up mid sinnoh and try to freez dialga and palkia when they get that far and then thell break out and cryus will be hurt and will give up his evil ways in a simalar way team magma and auqa did but his first apearence will be simalar to the games i bet meet ash for a second then hel leave being mystery like and all and ash will be confused and not think a thing about it thats what i think oh and i just joined to ^_^

Last edited:
Cyrus, the next Giovanni

Giovanni wants to *rule* the world. Cyrus wants to *destroy* it.

Although that would make an interesting twist, if the Rockets were called in to stop the Galactics.

Sounds like something I'd write. But it'd be too long for me. Aah, dillemas.

...idea. Cyrus wants to rule a world where basically only he would exist, right? Well, doesn't Ultimecia want the same thing? (omg crossover ship only not)

Couldn't he like shape the world to his choosing and lord over it.

For all we know, he could procreate with a Magmortar and fill the world with horrid Mamakids.

I made a thread concerning the pronunciation of Cyrus's Japanese name (Akagi) with this exact same thread title, but out of Giovanni, Archie, Maxie and him, I do consider Cyrus 'the best,' but I haven't played the original games in such a long time so I've completely forgot what Team Rocket did aside from kill a Marowak.

In any case, if I remember correctly from the videos on YouTube (my parents refuse to buy me a DS Lite if all I want is one game for it), Cyrus himself wasn't the one who had the bomb, it was a random grunt, but Cyrus did come after the grunt's defeat and inevitable flee to tell the hero that if they discovered any energy to be derived from the legends of Sinnoh, to inform him, then he left. Besides, I see coming darn close to blowing up a town trivial compared to Cyrus' real goals. If anyone can attempt to explain to me WHY so many Team Galactic grunts run around with bombs all the time and what purpose making a town explode would serve in the grand scheme of things, feel free to throw out a few conjectures, because I'm started to think that Cyrus just lets the subordinates do what they want. :\ Didn't he say that violence was meaningless at some point, or something along those lines? Wouldn't a town of lore like Celestic be useful to him, or had he already learned everything they had to show, say and give?

As for what will happen when Cyrus is FINALLY introduced in the anime...well, I think for his first appearance he'll come, say a few words and leave - I really don't think he'll have a hugely dramatic entrance. I doubt he will have a personality like Hitler's - if anything Cyrus will have a lack of personality, seeing as he views emotions to be "naught but useless sentimentality." I'm hoping his characterization (it must be very difficult to write for a man who tries so hard to banish all of his feelings) comes in the form of small moments or the objects he surrounds himself with, little background details, stuff like that...and I really, sincerely hope the anime directors just don't show Team Galactic when they're on missions or engaged in a battle - one-on-one moments between Cyrus, Saturn, Mars, Jupiter, random subordinates, just interaction with each other and getting glimpses of their off-duty lives would be phenomenal.

EDIT:
Giovanni wants to *rule* the world. Cyrus wants to *destroy* it. Although that would make an interesting twist, if the Rockets were called in to stop the Galactics.
That would be extremely interesting...I would love to see that happen.

Last edited:
I must admit I have to wonder if the writers will try to tone Cyrus's motives down. I mean destroying the entire world may be a little bit too tough for the majority of kids who watch it to handle. I would also like to see Giovanni have a mysterious relationship with Cyrus.

They didn't have a problem with it in the games. Heck, they toned *up* Team Rocket from the games, where they seemed to only be concerned about making money, and changed them into being out for world domination.

What kids show in the day DIDN'T have a villain who wanted to destroy the world?

That's probably more kid-friendly then say, a Mafia-like organization. It's not like kids can reproduce such unrealistic goals.

Yeah, I was about to say . . most kids in America, and all over the world are used to (and it's almost become a bit of a stereotype) the villain wanting to take over/destroy the world.

Eversti, you make a point. Thanks for your insight. About the videos, lemme guess. Marriland? You are right, it was a grunt, but I associated him with Cyrus to show a bigger effect to the leader's schemes.

I still don't get what would happen to life even if he did go through using Dialga and Palkia to distort time and space. Would Arceus or the lake legendaries intervene?

What I meant to say was, the Rockets were full of dumbnuts, and Giovanni was the first evil boss we ever saw, which is why I'm comparing him to Cyrus. But Cyrus shows us a whole new meaning of being sick and demented.

I'm disappointed to not see any of the admins yet. It was very accurate in the Hoenn series. We were supposed to see Mars and Jupiter by now. And Saturn was supposed to come much later. Had Jupiter been in that chopper, it would've somehow make up for the delayed entrance.

Here's another one! How about Cyrus and Paul??

I'm guessing the Admins will probably have their signature Pokemon as well...

...personally, I hope we see a Croagunk vs. Toxicroak battle (have Brock take down Saturn would rock).

A lot of people have theorized that Paul may be related to Cyrus, if not by blood, then by attitude. Like how in at least one comic (printed before the "redheaded kid" line so he wasn't related by blood), Silver/Black/Kamon hated the Rockets because he had been one of them and thought they were pathetic.

So even if Paul isn't a direct relative of Cyrus, their paths could have crossed in some way or another.

Cyrus was from Sunyshore, right? And Paul from Veilstone. I don't know how it'll turn out. The main cast meeting Cyrus, and deciding who's worse, him or Paul. They've seen how he treats his Pokemon, would Cyrus do the same.

Bulbapedia said:
Silver is soon frustrated, as he claims that Lance told him he doesn't love his Pokémon enough. Lance's words are Silver's catalyst, as he begins to metamorphisize into a more kind hearted person. Before a battle at Mount Moon, Silver claims that he has reached his peak, finally understanding what Lance told him in Mahogany Town. During this battle, he uses a Crobat, displaying that he now truly does care for his Pokémon.

So not when he was mean he didn't.

And at least in the anime, we know Giovanni treats most pokemon like they're beneath him, but he treats his Persian well. So both examples could be their personal exceptions or something.

Here's another one! How about Cyrus and Paul??
Personally, I don't think they're related or connected in any way whatsoever. Just because they're both jackasses (in their own ways) doesn't mean they've ever met or anything. Paul living in the town with the Galactic headquarters doesn't really signify anything either - he probably just thinks of Team Galactic as a bunch of foolish space-obsessed idiots who are so pathetic they can't go out and catch their own Pokemon, no, they have to request donations...

As for the videos, yep, Marriland's videos were the ones I watched...I don't really think any of the legendaries would interfere if Dialga and Palkia started to mess things up, they would try, but Cyrus would have the Red Chain by then, and if he saw a horde of mythical godlike beasts hurdling towards him he might think something along the lines of 'hmm, well this is annoying, WOOP into a bottomless void you go.'

I, too, am a bit annoyed with the huge delay of Galactic appearance, but hopefully this delay will be compromised by kickassery and antagonist character development.

...personally, I hope we see a Croagunk vs. Toxicroak battle (have Brock take down Saturn would rock).
That's one of the battles I was hoping for as well, though in that battle I would like it more of Saturn won, mainly because in any group of males and females, it's my main experience that the males get shafted a bit and the females waltz around being "badass" and owning in every fight and doing everything.

But yeah, there are always exceptions to everything, and the Crobat might be Cyrus's exception as the Persian is to Giovanni, as Blackjack said.

Eversti said:
Personally, I don't think they're related or connected in any way whatsoever.

I didn't mean to think that they've met, but what would the protagonists say if they met Cyrus.

I don't really think any of the legendaries would interfere if Dialga and Palkia started to mess things up, they would try, but Cyrus would have the Red Chain by then

Ah, forgot the Red Chain. Wonder why it's called Red though...it could've been a color relating to the legendaries.

I didn't mean to think that they've met, but what would the protagonists say if they met Cyrus.

Ah, forgot the Red Chain. Wonder why it's called Red though...it could've been a color relating to the legendaries.
Oh, I see. Well, it really depends on the situation to determine how everyone would react to him. Cyrus seems to like talking for five+ minutes at a time about completely off-the-wall conjectures, but I'd imagine he's start talking about one of the legends of Sinnoh in a way that wigs everyone out.

As for the Red Chain, it was crafted from the jewels on the Lake Trio's tails and foreheads...I mean, I think that's how it was made...

I really hope they don't play the cards for Cyrus like they did archie and maxie. That was just.....bad. The "exciting" battle turned out to be lalala bad animations, then everyone decides to go home. I would like Cyrus to have this huge exciting thing with Dialga and Palkia, and tell us more about the Red Chain. I also hope he doesn't look.....minor, you know, how minor animations is compared to major character animations. I'm expecting a lot from them to make up for Team magma/aqua blah.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom