• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

About Nintendo warning D/P importers in europe

Absolute Zero

Reaction score
The article is here

Eager Pokémon fans anxious to taste the first proper DS games in the series may be wondering how long it will be until the new duo arrives. If the latest information out of Nintendo's American arm is anything to go by, they could be in for a wait.

Nintendo said this week that Pokémon Diamond and Pearl would be out for the DS in North America on 22 April. Tack on a few months for localisation and Europeans could find themselves waiting until summer to see what the fuss is about.

And there is a lot of fuss. The new instalments in the decade-old series have sold nearly 4 million copies in Japan, bolstering the already impressive momentum of the DS.

There are questions about how complete the game will be when it arrives here. Wired points out that the press released for the US version of the game goes to pains not to mention anything to do with online play, which is included in the Japanese editions. Despite the omission, Nintendo told Kikizo that it is "a full WiFi game".

Nintendo will be keeping a keen eye on importers after Easter. Previous Game Boy Advance editions have been too popular with some ardent fans for Nintendo's liking, resulting in the company threatening local importers if they continued to sell it. With a rabid fanbase not satisfied with the piecemeal Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon games for Game Boy Advance and DS, there's every chance that the proper DS instalments could be a big hit before they officially arrive. Nintendo is prepared.

"We in no way condone the importing of games into territories other than where they are supposed to be sold," Nintendo's Robert Saunders told Kikizo.

"As in the past, if deemed necessary we will issue cease and desist letters to retailers whom we know are selling imported games not intended for sale within the EEA. Nintendo rigorously protects its worldwide trademarks and in doing so ensures fair play in the market for all retailers."

Alex Wollenschlaeger
Editor, Kikizo

*tsk* Do they think that will stop us from importing, if anything they should release D/P in america and the UK at the same time.

I will import anyway, Nintendo can shut up. Fair play in the market isnt the point, because it will be highly likely that we in the UK will have to wait till next winter, summer if we are lucky jut for D/P, Nintendo always release pokemon games way later then America and I am sick of it.

Discuss.

There are questions about how complete the game will be when it arrives here. Wired points out that the press released for the US version of the game goes to pains not to mention anything to do with online play, which is included in the Japanese editions. Despite the omission, Nintendo told Kikizo that it is "a full WiFi game".

Shit stirring in the way only Kikizo does it.

Great, now everyone is going to be freaking out and saying "OMGFG, ONLINE play will be removed in DP jus like it was for Crystal because Nintendo hates Americans!!11!"

Um, the the article is old, and it was confirmed that online play is in DP.

And if thay kept online play in crystal,the price for it in americawould have sky rocketed, along with mobile phones LOL.

The article is here

*tsk* Do they think that will stop us from importing, if anything they should release D/P in america and the UK at the same time.

I will import anyway, Nintendo can shut up. Fair play in the market isnt the point, because it will be highly likely that we in the UK will have to wait till next winter, summer if we are lucky jut for D/P, Nintendo always release pokemon games way later then America and I am sick of it.

Discuss.

They can't control eBay or any other sites 24/7. Besides there's a big time difference between Europe and America, so if you buy your game at 12:00 AM, it'll be, I dunno 2:00 AM over there.

You know, I was wondering about the whole wifi thing too. Wouldn't PUSA have said anything about wifi in the American version by now if it would be there, or is it too early?? I want my wifi! *hyperventillates*

-_-

They didn't mention the day/night system being in the American versions, either. OMG, they're taking it out along with WiFi, too? Stupid NoA. >(

Last edited:
lol a store I know imports Pokemon games from the US (and other stuff like the Playstation 3.. for £599.99 btw 0_0 ) and they have done since at least the Gold/Silver days as I nearly bought it. The other store in the same area might get scared off as it's a chain, more easily caught I'd imagine. I've got my fingers crossed that one of these will import it, if not, there's always that US site that allows paypal. Ebay, pfft.. the only time I bought a new Pokemon game it was a copy, a badly translated one.

lol a store I know imports Pokemon games from the US (and other stuff like the Playstation 3.. for £599.99 btw 0_0 ) and they have done since at least the Gold/Silver days as I nearly bought it. The other store in the same area might get scared off as it's a chain, more easily caught I'd imagine. I've got my fingers crossed that one of these will import it, if not, there's always that US site that allows paypal. Ebay, pfft.. the only time I bought a new Pokemon game it was a copy, a badly translated one.

I wouldn't broadcast that fact if I were you, that's still illegal for the store to be doing that. I presume it's an Indy store?

-_-

They didn't mention the day/night system being in the American versions, either. OMG, they're taking it out along with WiFi, too? Stupid NoA. >(

Yeah, and they haven't mentioned Super Conests, The Underground or the starters either. OMFG HaX0rZ!!!

You gotta be kidding me. It's Nintendo's fault if they don't want people to import, they should just sell in those areas then.

I don't see why they can't release to the UK within about a month or two, instead of at least half a year or so. We speak the same language as the US after all, besides the main Pokemon games always seem to do well here and obviously importing hasn't just started recently, I doubt D/P will suffer cos of them.

I wouldn't broadcast that fact if I were you, that's still illegal for the store to be doing that. I presume it's an Indy store?

lol there's a reason why I dont say the names of them :drowsy:

I don't see why they can't release to the UK within about a month or two, instead of at least half a year or so. We speak the same language as the US after all, besides the main Pokemon games always seem to do well here and obviously importing hasn't just started recently, I doubt D/P will suffer cos of them.

It's EU regulation that games must be released in Europe in at least 5 languages, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and English. Nintendo can't release the game in just English unless they were to publish it ONLY in the UK, which they don't have the ability or will and inclination to do.

Bad form. The market is sending them a clear message, and they respond by using the law to try to control the market.

How long until they learn what the publishing industry learned from Harry Potter?

The laws "controlling the market" have been in place for 2 decades. They're hardly new and as very much so evident, they aren't exactly that rigorously enforced anyway.

yh this is excactly what happened with all the other generations...ppl just forget....it means nothing and there will be importing and there will be day and night system and their will be wifi..........but anyway its all cool

Just remember....if Sony got away with it then so could Nintendo. Let's not push our luck...

Does this apply to games, or merchandise in general?

Because if Pokemon USA starts bullying Anime Palace and PlayAsia...

Play.com looks like they are starting the preorders for Diamond/Pearl in the UK, and there's a date.
http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/3305666/Pokemon_Pearl/Product.html
http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/3305664/Pokemon_Diamond/Product.html

Note - they got the Dungeon date quite close with October when it was November (somebody correct me, I'm not sure on the date), but Ranger's was way off. They guessed it would get released in October, same day as Dungeon, before the US as well. It's now 30th March. Dont get your hopes up like I did, it's just before my birthday and play are known to change the dates. But at least it's a step in the right direction for us UKers.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom