• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Accuracy > Power

I do prefer high Accuracy over Power because it just feels horrible when an attack misses.

I lost to Clay at the last moment because my Dewott's Shell Blade just MISSED. I could've won if that attack landed.

I love to teach Attract to every pokemon possible because for the same reason - I love it when the opponent misses XDD

I have 2 conditions:

Move A = High power but low accuracy

Move B = Low power but high accuracy

1)The power difference between move A and move be should be more than or equal to 25.

2)The accuracy difference between move B and move A should be less than or equal to 25.

Only if both conditions are met will I choose move A.

I, too, prefer accuracy over power. I prefer Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Surf over Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder and Hydro Pump. The only moves I use that don't have 100% accuracy are Stone Edge and Focus Blast (and I'm not too fond of Focus Blast, but Alakazam definitely needs it).

Power generally, but when it comes to moves that are similar save for those two stats (i.e. Fire blast and Flamethrower), I try to consider the pokémon I'm going to teach it to. Is it bulky enough to take the punishment if it misses? Glass cannon? Though the reasoning still varies from poké to poké.

Imagine this scenario, and it's in-game. Your Dewott vs. Clay's Excadrill. Dewott is in the red. Everyone else had fainted. Excadrill is Clay's last Pokémon. One more Razor Shell would spell game and Quake Badge get. "Dewott used Razor Shell. The move missed Excadrill! Excadrill used Bulldoze. Dewott fainted. Player blacked out against Clay!"

Even Zen Headbutt from Victini (with Victory Star Ability taken into account) has a chance to miss. In my White 1, I recall Zen Headbutt missing twice in a row, a 1-in-10,000 chance, rarer than even shiny Pokémon!

I see plenty of people call "hax" over percentage based strategies.

However, chance manipulation is not hax. If you miss with your all your OHKO hypermoves of death, it counts as a mistake you made. If you have no way to pull back up from half of your moves missing, it is STILL your own fault.

If Double Team wrecks your team, well, that's because it's broken, okay, but also because you didn't burn the user, you didn't Shadow Punch them, you didn't encore them and spend the turns they spammed that setting three layers of spikes, or you didn't even use Hone Claws.

And I can understand that a metagame would like to change the rules and remove luck as much as possible, that's fine and a perfect way to make precise tweaks to how every other aspect of the game relates to another. But that only applies to THAT metagame.

I prefer accuracy to power mostly because I don't seem to have much luck with moves with less than 100% accuracy so I prefer not to take the risk of using more powerful moves with poor accuracy. However I will risk using them if the battle is not going in my favour and I need to try and overpower my opponent fast as at that point I have nothing to lose.

I've been debating over this myself. I'm trying a to build a good sweeper team with a couple of stalls. My samurott is the one that's giving me trouble I can't decide whether to teach him aqua jet or aqua tail.....sigh

Accuracy. Relying on hax isn't my style of play and I can always make up for the lack of power with boosts or choice items/gems/life orb.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom