• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Achievement Systems

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
When a game or system has an achievement system, how seriously do you take it? Are you insistent on 100%ing every game, or do you not care so much?

I usually play a game however I want and then aim for achievements I missed the first time around. But fuck trying to get some ridiculous achievements like ones that require multiplayer or several entire playthroughs (Like Mass Effect to max companion trust) I'll try to get as many as possible but really hard ones I won't even bother.

The only time I tried to get all achievements was in Rock Band 3, until I discovered most of them required expert mode. On the plus side, I managed to obtain some of the DLC ones, like the one for FC'ing Cherry Bomb on bass, or the one that required me to play three(?) songs with Dave Grohl.

Even though I may try to get as many achievements as I can out of a game I enjoy while I'm playing it, I don't often go for 100% completed achievements just due to how absurd a few can be to attain and usually just wanting to move onto another game I have waiting to be played afterward.

The only game I can name where I attained all achievements was for Dragon Age: Origins on Xbox 360 (without the expansion pack, Awakening), because of how highly re-playable a game like that one is.

100% will take me far too long ahaha, so I usually just opt for doing what I can. have tried to 100% games before but it never worked out well since it was too time-consuming. may have done it in some titles before though, but can't quite remember which since it was ages ago (and probably for slightly easier games) oop

Great responses, you all. =)

As for me, I definitely am not the type to worry too much about 100%ing anything. Sometimes, like when I play Pokemon, I'll get the notion that I want to go through and catch them all, but it never happens. Not even in cases of limited Pokedex's. My interest in the games just don't last that long.

I play games to relax, and 100%ing is almost always the opposite of relaxation.

The only game I've gotten a platinum trophy is Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and that's because its trophies were actually pretty simple to get and it didn't require me to go above the Easy difficulty to even get them. But hey if you make such a beautiful historical recreation in open world format it will give me a lot of incentive to want to keep on finding reasons to play it, and that is what happened. That won't happen for pretty much any other game. Even BOTW I couldn't get myself to care about collecting all of the Korok Seeds.

I think achievements or trophies need to be there.
They're optional and do add a lot of replayability, not having them is just an option less.
If pokémon had a, win 10 ranked battles, maybe a lot of people would check out the competitive part of the game, and who knows, maybe fall in love.
For example, the achievements in Rocket League, was what made me play for that long and ending up loving the game

I think achievements or trophies need to be there.
They're optional and do add a lot of replayability, not having them is just an option less.
I totally get this, I've just started playing Astral Chain, a game on the Switch, obviously the Switch doesn't have achievements or trophies, but the game itself has in game achievements and goals that reward items, I think this sort of achievement system is the best, sadly not too many games seem to use it.
Persona 5 Royal had a similar system which is more noticeable since the trophies only relate to the new Royal content while the Thieves Den feature has awards, most of which are for the original content.

I enjoyed achievement systems when I used to play the 360 back in the day. It was always nice to compete against my dad to see who could get more.

I'm of the understanding that it's a big thing for some people to "platinum" their games by getting all of the achievements as a way of 100%ing the game. This sort of thing would have been something I would have loved to do in some 3DS and Wii games; I really wish Nintendo would add some sort of achievement system to the Switch, it would make things a bit more robust.

I try to get all the achievements I'm interested in, otherwise I don't care much - my PSN account was created in 2013 and I only managed to get my first platinum this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies based on multiplayer (looking at you RDR2), luck or timed missions are the only ones I avoid since they're incredibly annoying imo.

Last edited:
I try to get all the achievements I'm interested in, otherwise I don't care much - my PSN account was created in 2013 and I only managed to get my first platinum this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies based on multiplayer (looking at you RDR2), luck or timed missions are the only ones I avoid since they're incredibly annoying imo.
More than once, the MP trophies turned me out of trying to plat a game. Specially when the servers are empty

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom