• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Add Gender in the Sidebar

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurristat

the future is not written
Reaction score
One of the problems that plagues online forums is the incorrect usage of pronouns -- some people tire of the mistakes and it can become a flashpoint. So I suggest that we add something in the sidebar that gives the gender of the user. Just like the location option, I think that we should keep it optional -- if you don't want to list your gender, that's fine. Here's an example sidebar (using mine as an example)

Tournaments Won: 0

Parachute Panic Champion
Tournaments Joined: 1
Tournaments Won: 0
hurristat's Gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: IDEA: Add Gender in the Sidebar

DO WANT. UP.

It would definitely help with gender confusion. I'm one of those people who get people's genders wrong 50% of the time.

UP

Doesn't seem like much, but it can sure be helpful in some situations imo.

It would be convenient in certain situations. Voting UP.

Not really necessary. It may be helpful in a few cases, but it doesn't take much effort to click the member's profile and the sidebar may become a little cluttered. I'll give it a Up for now, but if it can't be done it's no big deal imo.

It might not be a big change, but I think it would help in many situations. Definitely UP.

I'm going to vote UP as I think it would be useful.

There's definetly mods that make a gender field in the postbit. I'm not too sure if they offer an option to not display your gender however; result from searching for gender in the vb4 mods got me this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231260

UP first of all we all have people wondering whos what and all of that to atleast make it easier JUST ADD THE GENDER

One of the problems that plagues online forums is the incorrect usage of pronouns

You can always just use third person plural. But yes, I vote UP as well and as you say if people don't want to display it they don't have to, as with Location.

UP

I vote up because it's convenient. If it can't be done, though, that's alright.

Up. It's really Awkward when I'm talking to a girl, but I don't know that, and I call the "Dude", or "He", or "His", or something like that.

UP because it would be helpful--the only bad thing I can think of is it killing the 'what gender is the user above you' game, which is really not that important.

Definitely UP. Makes it a lot easier to address other people. And if they don't want to show their gender, they just don't set it in their profile.

Ya, if it is too difficult or if you fear that it'll clutter the sidebar, that's fine as well.

UP

good god the gender confusion

Is it really that hard to check out someone's profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom