• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanced VS DP

Which Is Better(Anime)

• Advanced

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Advanced Challenge

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Advanced Battle

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Battle Frontier

• Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • DP: Battle Dimension

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • DP: Galactic Battles

• DP: Sinnoh League Victors

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters
I easily find Diamond & Pearl to be the superior of the two. The latter saga is just better-written, with a sense that all of its big plot points were actually planned out in advance to some degree. I honestly don't see how the show could possibly top some of the things they achieved with the DP series.

DP boasts the strongest, most-developed version of Ash, his best Pokemon lineup, his greatest rivals (Paul, Barry), the best battles of the series (Ash vs. Paul, Dawn vs. Zoey, etc.), the best villains (Hunter J, Team Galactic is far better than Team Aqua and Magma), and some of the best side characters (Conway). AG has a more entertaining overall Contest storyline, and May’s rivals are much more interesting than Dawn’s are, but even in that area there’s some improvement - DP Contests often had the more creative appeals and battles (far less reliant on the forced, BS victories that often plagued May’s - and Ash’s, for that matter - battles) and did more to distinguish themselves from regular battles.

I would also disagree that Advanced Generation is better paced. It may move faster due to two regions (and one of those region, Battle Frontier, comes across pretty rushed anyway), but it also has much less going on than DP, which still comes away with less actual filler and more episodes used either to push the rivalries, develop and train the Pokemon, get to know Gym Leaders better, consolidates fillers into some entertaining story arcs (e.g. Pokemon Summer Academy), etc. In addition, I would also argue that DP has a better sense of continuity with older sagas and uses Team Rocket a lot better than AG does.

While I think Advanced Generation is a good series, exactly what Pokemon needed after a very boring Johto-era, and introduces some excellent concepts (i.e. Ash not being the rookie of the group, Pokemon Contests and a secondary female character to participate in them) to series that I find myself missing more and more as time goes by, Diamond & Pearl is a better series in almost every measurable area.

I love diamond and pearl, because it has Dawn. And Dawn is the best companion for Ash period.

I like Diamond and Pearl, the Battle Dimension, and the Battle Frontier as my favorites because so much was going on in those 3 seasons like May's Kanto contest quest, Ash's Frontier challenge quest, Ash's Sinnoh gym quest, and Dawn's contest quest, and pretty much all of those were handled well imo. Also Paul was introduced, and we saw some really great character development from Dawn in early DP when she was struggling to get past the 1st round of 2 contests in a row to winning the Wallace Cup.

Back
Top Bottom