• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanced VS DP

Which Is Better(Anime)

• Advanced

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Advanced Challenge

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Advanced Battle

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Battle Frontier

• Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • DP: Battle Dimension

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • DP: Galactic Battles

• DP: Sinnoh League Victors

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters
I would argue it is a very solid reason, It ruined my enjoyment of the series and ruined the Advance generation character development mainly because the voice acting was so bad. But I don't think it was a terrible Arc some of the animations were fantastic. Diamond and Pearl got my vote because nothing really went wrong and it had some really memorable battles thanks to ingenious ideas like the counter sheild.

DP animation where definitely better than AG,but it was silly I dont know why but I was really bored in this saga especially team rocket they were a real pain,some times I feel like I want to pass these scenes they appear in,they did a great choice by changing team rocket in BW(although they are returning back gradually),as I said before all battles were focusing on chimchar and its line and I hate seeing pikachu loosing in every battle in this saga,pikachu only won one battle or something.

paul was also a very bad character in my opinion,he was that traditional cool rival that insult the hero and defeat him when ever they met the same character we see in most jp animes,and now we have Trip :mad:.
,but I love the fact that there was many rivals introduced in this saga and I like them too especially Barry.

each one of them has good and bad points,DP was also the only saga with just a one or two dub edits it was the first saga not to be dubbed at 4kids and the first one that completely ( whats the prob with this world everybody knew it ) .

Last edited:
DP: Sinnoh League Victors is winning so far

You gotta love BF. Was the most intense. I loved it!

Sinnoh League Victors was my favorite so far, It had some of the best battles to date, But I do acknowledge it had its flaws, What was the purpose of Glalie? and Quilava's match was way too short, but for me Tobias vs Ash was the best in the series.

For me, it depends on what perspective we're talking about. If it's Ash's story, then DP was leagues better than AG. It really does highlight how much a direct, long-term rival can make a story more engaging, as Ash had no long-term rivals in AG whatsoever. But DP brought Paul, later Barry, and a number of smaller-scale rivals, and suddenly Ash got a lot more interesting both storywise and characterwise, and I think his Pokemon for the most part had a great benefit in the development as well as many of them had their own individual, unique rivalries with Paul's Pokemon.

On the other hand, there's the Contest side of the story. Even though there were BS wins galore in AG, I think overall May's story was superior to Dawn's. Really, the deciding factor there is in the rivals. Drew and Harley trumps pretty much all of Dawn's, both long-term and minor-scale. There's that, and May's starter - while lacking in personality - was so much less annoying and not shoehorned into EVERYTHING the way Dawn's Piplup was. Plus, even though we didn't get to enjoy it for very long, May's starter got to evolve all the way through. I can't imagine May's quest having the same symbolic holding of coming a long way from where she started if she just kept her Torchic the way it was throughout the entire series. But that's another point: May had more dynamic character development that stretched across the entire series, whereas while Dawn did have character development, it didn't feel quite as drastic, and by the series' midpoint Dawn herself barely changed, if at all. While I don't necessarily have a problem with Dawn, her story made me very apathetic about halfway into it when I realized she'd be stuck with dull rivals and Piplup would usurp any development potential from the rest of her team. While not perfect, I think May's team overall had a bit more of a balance in screentime (maybe less so by BF when she got two Kanto starters to pimp FRLG) and I can't recall any of May's Pokemon particularly annoying me. Plus, most of May's one-shot rivals were interesting in their own right. I think Dawn had maybe one or two of those, one I know at least was decent, but still nothing compared to May's. Rival-wise, May's trumped Dawn's in almost every sense outside of Zoey actually winning a GF. And that in of itself bugged me that Sinnoh's GF was totally littered with newbies from the quarterfinals all the way to the finals.

So, yeah. It really depends on who we're talking about here. For Ash, DP is better. For the female Coordintors, AG was superior overall.

One thing I disliked about DP was the loss of humor. What happened? With the exception of a few things Croagunk did and some of Barry's antics, DP was rarely funny.

AG still had the same type of lighthearted humor that both the original series and Best Wishes have.

DP almost felt too serious or plain at times. WTF happened in the humor department that saga?

One thing I disliked about DP was the loss of humor. What happened? With the exception of a few things Croagunk did and some of Barry's antics, DP was rarely funny.

AG still had the same type of lighthearted humor that both the original series and Best Wishes have.

DP almost felt too serious or plain at times. WTF happened in the humor department that saga?

I really didn't find the Advanced generation funny at all, Well except Thunder Armor, Diamond and Pearl was A bit funny Gible with Draco Meteor and Barry but yea I think the Original series has the funniest episodes.

i think the problem with humor was due to the lack of group cohesivity. There was just sort of a lighter atmosphere in AG because the group was one group. Since DP was Ash and Dawn and Ash and Brock, there wasn't that same spirit and it lost its humor.

I think DP's "humorlessness" is originate in plot-driven and serious storytelling.

I really didn't find the Advanced generation funny at all,

I found early/mid Hoenn very funny. Mainly due to the group dynamics, Corphish, the humor in the Contests due to Harley, and a few funny fillers.

The humor started decreasing when Battle Frontier started.

I honestly didn't find DP hardly any less funny than OI, Johto, or AG (outside of Harley). There were also certain episodes that had humor such as Pachirisu's capture or the maze episode. And don't forget another running gag you're forgetting, Gliscor'd: Piplup abuse. I actually found a few Piplup-centric episodes that some hate with a passion funny themselves as it was. And besides Piplup and Croagunk, Gliscor and Gible were also comic relief Pokemon in place of Corphish.

I think some people are just having a harder time noticing any humor in the series due to the more serious themes that it had.

Last edited:
For me, it depends on what perspective we're talking about. If it's Ash's story, then DP was leagues better than AG. It really does highlight how much a direct, long-term rival can make a story more engaging, as Ash had no long-term rivals in AG whatsoever. But DP brought Paul, later Barry, and a number of smaller-scale rivals, and suddenly Ash got a lot more interesting both storywise and characterwise, and I think his Pokemon for the most part had a great benefit in the development as well as many of them had their own individual, unique rivalries with Paul's Pokemon.

I totally agree. I would even add that his pokémon also each had different and unique personalities. You knew them, they felt like characters so when something happened to them, it actually felt compelling and easy to identify with Ash, Paul, their pokémon. I found Ash's DP team to be much more interesting, funny, personable and likable than Ash's AG team. I felt connected to them, and to Ash more in DP than in AG.

Plus... Gible... nuff said.

On the other hand, there's the Contest side of the story. Even though there were BS wins galore in AG, I think overall May's story was superior to Dawn's.

To me, it's the opposite. I felt the DP contest arc, while flawed, was infinitely more interesting than AG's contest arc. First of all, they were visually much more interesting. AG's contests felt like regular battles with a juggling balls and levitating teacups prelude, where as the DP contests really went out of their way to show a different way to use attacks, really handles the specificities of contests much better. Also, as Shinneth pointed it out, the BS wins really killed the AG arc for me. Not just because of their BS nature, but because ultimately, they stunned May's developpement as a coordinator. As a person, May was growing more confident and to like pokémon more, but she really never was shone to gain skills of her own, finding her own style, instead consistantly throughout AG just copying what others were doing, never really gaining knowledge or skills. The worst part was, when she was doing mistakes, they never cost her anything, so... she never really learned from them.

Really, the deciding factor there is in the rivals. Drew and Harley trumps pretty much all of Dawn's, both long-term and minor-scale.

That I feel as well was the weakness of Dawn's contest arc. The vanilla rivals. While I never found Zoey thrilling, she fulfilled the role that rivals should fill, which is to be the anti-whatever it is the hero(in) is. When they first met, Zoey was everything Dawn wasn't: confident, experienced, relaxed, knowledgeable, and therefore served as a motivation for Dawn. Ursula was also one of my favourite rivals, because I found myself rooting for her just as much as I rooted for Dawn. She was a bitch, but a likeable bitch. :p

Kenny and Nando were the major fails. Kenny, because well for a childhood friend with a crush, he really didn't impact Dawn at all. Nando, well... because the rivalry they sold in DP004 never really took shape.

But, the one thing that makes the DP contests win over the AG contests even in this field, is Jessie. We saw her really being a serious coordinator, really being relatable, endearing, interesting, which was refreshing.

I can't recall any of May's Pokemon particularly annoying me.

Squirtle during BF. He was Piplup to the 3295th degree with zero redeeming quality :p

To me both May's and Dawn's arc had major flaws and very strong qualities, but overall, I found Dawn's much more compelling and interesting. As a whole, DP was much more interesting than AG, though I agree that they could have done more in the humour and interactions department.

Since I could only pick one season, I picked DP: Sinnoh League Victors because of Ash finally beating Paul (and then Tobias beating him down... but that one was an alright battle too).

AG! Espeically Advanced Challenge. I actually loved the filler episodes in that season. May by that point had gained enough experience to not be annoying but she still had her newbie funniness! It was probably my favorite chunk of AG.

Some of the early episodes of DP are really good too though

AG

Pros

-Each main character gets a well balanced team.
-May's Contests

Cons:

- Repetitive episodes during mid Hoenn
- Team Aqua/Magma finale
- Ash vs Tyson battle

DP:

Pros:

- Ash is at his peak
- Paul rivalry
- Character development
- Characters act like their game counterparts
- Hunter J storyline

Cons:

- Kenny was a pointless rival
- Ash losing to Elite Four members

I prefer DP.

I like them both for different reasons, and some things are better than others.

DP is superior in terms of rivals (for Ash), pokemon, gym battles, and villains. Hunter J was a great villain and Team Galactic was handled sooooo much better than Aqua and Magma wee. DP also gave us what is in my opinion Ash's best League (along with the Johto Silver Conference.) I loved everything about the Sinnoh League, even the battle with Tobias. It was the furthest Ash has ever gotten in a League and I just loved every minute of it. I also think that Paul was probably the most developed rival for Ash. Unlike Gary, who barely got screentime and only battled with Ash about 3 times in the series overall, Paul actually had a few battles with him. It was nice to see a serious rival like him handled in the anime and I think he's one of the best rivals in the anime overall.

AG is superior in terms of the female lead, comedy, and group chemistry. May is my favorite female companion and I just thought that she had the best development. She started off as not even liking pokemon and only wanting to travel to learning how to love her pokemon and find a goal for herself that she loves. I loved Dawn in the beginning but after the Wallace Cup she kind of just turned into Ash 2.0 to me. I'll admit that May had a lot of cheat contest wins but they were still experimenting with contests back then so I'll let that slide. At least with Dawn we did see her lose the appeal round a few times unlike with May, but I think that May just had a better story. I also think she had one of the most diverse teams out of the female companions. That's not to say that Dawn's team wasn't diverse, but I just loved all of May's pokemon. May also had superior rivals (Drew and Harley) in comparison to Dawn's (Zoey and Kenny). I wished that Ursula was introduced much earlier for Dawn so that she could have had one serious rival that wasn't super friendly with her.

I also found AG to be funnier, mostly for the dub. DP was a more serious arc so I get that there wouldn't be as much comedy, but the jokes that were in DP weren't as funny as AG for me. This is probably more of a 4Kids vs. TPCi thing, especially with Team Rocket because I think that they were at their funniest in the series during AG. I'm one of the very few people that actually liked Max pulling away Brock's ear (mostly because I found most of his comments afterward to be funny) and to just like Max in general. He added a certain element to the group that would just kill its chemistry if he wasn't there. He helped to balance out the group. I'll admit that he could be annoying at times but in general I really loved him and the bond he had with May. If Max wasn't there them the group chemistry wouldn't nearly be as good.

I love both sagas but if I had to choose I'd probably go with DP, mainly because the entire pokemon anime is about Ash's story, and DP did his story better than AG. When it comes to the female companion though, I'd go with AG because I think May had the best story out of Ash's friends.

I like DP a lot better than AG, expect for something I like in AG more than DP. They are also the reasons I think DP is better overall.

The Gym Battles, rivalry, evil teams, and League were my favorites of all in DP. in AG the Gym Battles and League were great but not as good.
Ash was a lot more strategic, which made these battles a lot better.

The pacing in AG is better, since it wasn't as long as DP. The plots of Team Galactic were scattered around, and the episode were done a whole lot better than the few episodes Team Aqua and Team Magma received.

Back
Top Bottom