• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Why do people ship anything? People liked the dynamic and interactions between Ash and May, and liked the idea of them entering into a romantic relationship together.

Hey, I've been aware of this ship for a long time and I'm not against it, as well as I respect anyone who supports such a ship. However, I was really surprised to find that, maybe, this is the ship with the large thread on this site.

And while there will always be reasons to ship any characters, especially the main characters, I believe that the success of this relationship is not due only to the dynamic and interactions between Ash and May. But, perhaps, due to the popularity of the character itself, which, at the time, was just the second Pokégirl, and the first among the main characters of the games, besides that the anime was still much more watched 20-15 years ago, as were, I believe, the activities on this forum.

Last edited:
Hey, I've been aware of this ship for a long time and I'm not against it, as well as I respect anyone who supports such a ship. However, I was really surprised to find that, maybe, this is the ship with the large thread on this site.
Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping both have large threads as well, as all three threads date back to the same time. I won't bore you with old forum drama from 12 years ago but all three threads were closed and restarted by staff at the time.

Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping both have large threads as well, as all three threads date back to the same time. I won't bore you with old forum drama from 12 years ago but all three threads were closed and restarted by staff at the time.

I don't doubt that, but can't I be surprised that people invest so much in a ship-related topic? Especially when the female character has not been present for a long time? And that, in her respective generation, had a specific romatic-rival other than the protagonist? And finally, why hasn't this topic been restarted like others?

And finally, why hasn't this topic been restarted like others?
Oh, it has, trust me. The original thread ran from 2005 and if you sort by most populous threads on this subforum is second only to the old Rocketshipping thread. (Not that I am still salty about this particular old forum drama or anything.)

I know what you mean though, I too was always surprised that this ship was more popular, at least on these forums, than Contestshipping. I always attributed it to the amazing art of one Suzushiroya Suzuku whose original page is long since gone, but whose work was so prolific that apparently someone went to the trouble of making a tribute video to her art:

Oh, it has, trust me. The original thread ran from 2005 and if you sort by most populous threads on this subforum is second only to the old Rocketshipping thread. (Not that I am still salty about this particular old forum drama or anything.)

I know what you mean though, I too was always surprised that this ship was more popular, at least on these forums, than Contestshipping. I always attributed it to the amazing art of one Suzushiroya Suzuku whose original page is long since gone, but whose work was so prolific that apparently someone went to the trouble of making a tribute video to her art:

Suzushiroya art is indeed amazing. But while he/she may have been one of the people who contributed the most to such ship, I don't believe it's possible to attribute the popularity of this ship to him/her alone. Since almost every Pokéships has its advocates and very great fan arts, at least the ships related to the main characters. And, not infrequently, appreciating such arts means that, beforehand, you are already interested in such a ship, lol.

Last edited:
Well personally for me advanced was my first real time watching the show as I only knew OS because of how popular it was and I’ve seen some of the major stuff like gym battles, catches, etc

So starting the series I instantly liked May and Ash individually, especially in comparison to Misty and some moments of Ash in OS I knew of at the time

And when it came to shipping them the fan art definitely helped (and I got baited by false stuff like Ash and May kissing an Ep that wasn’t aired lol)
I think a lot of their moments early on filled either the mentor-student dynamic as May would look to Ash for a lot of stuff whether protection or advice, etc… so to me it kind of also felt like the Hero and the princess which can fit a lot of other ships with Ash but this was my first real taste of it but I generally like those dynamics as I think here it was done in a healthy way where others it can be bad with Movie 9 being a real clincher to me thinking that

And on the Ash side of it imo I think May’s quirky traits and other similarities the two have together fit Ash more than opposites attract and with Ash imo I think he would want someone more similar to him vs someone that can clash heads with him a lot

To make a comparison to me they would be similar to Kukui and Burnet as Kukui is essentially an older Ash and Burnet I feel is likeminded to him but have her quirks that help compliment him

And on the May side, I do think she does genuinely admire and like (friendly way) Ash from the beginning and relies on him a lot when they were traveling together and enjoys being around him, etc
I think the thing is Contestshipping

And for me I never really liked it, not that Drew is bad or their moments were bad, I just don’t usually like rivals to lover ships like I don’t like AshxGary, DawnxZoey, DawnxKenny, CilanxBurgundy, etc…

And a good amount of the time Drew played more into the player role where he had a lot of girls, etc which at the time I didn’t like, he grew on me more as a rival and character but not really as a ship for May

Plus to make a similar comparison with Ash, May and Ash can literally be her parents Norman and Caroline (just without the cheating lol) and a lot of people try to find someone like their parent(s)

Sorry for the long post I have a hard time being concise
But I never shared why I kinda restarted the thread and it’s because I do like the ship and was genuinely curious what others thought especially post Serena and amourshipping craziness lol

Well, I'm thinking it's time for a new topic...

We all know Ash and May still have their ribbon halves...but what do you think they may have made their ribbon halves into? Necklaces? Bracelets? Something else?

and...

How often do you think Ash and May wish to be back in each other's arms?

We all know Ash and May still have their ribbon halves...but what do you think they may have made their ribbon halves into? Necklaces? Bracelets? Something else?

How often do you think Ash and May wish to be back in each other's arms?

As for the first question, I believe that Satoshi simply kept his as a good old souvenir, while Haruka adapted hers to some accessory she uses in contests.

As for the second, I don't know, besides being too cringe to answer. lol

How would Ash react if May quit contests? Let’s say May knew she couldn’t make a career out of contests so she felt like it was time to move on with her life. However that angered Lisia because May beat Lisia to become Princess of Hoenn then announced she was done with contests. Lisia felt May was being selfish but May told Lisia she shouldn’t tell wher what she does with her life.

In the middle of the episode, Ash and May are separated from the group. May does her expedition routine and thinks about the concept of being lost with Ash in the woods forever. This idea causes her to have little red blushes on her cheeks. During the last act of the episode, May misses her chance to catch the ferry to her final Contest. In despair, she starts to cry. Sensing her pain, Ash puts his hands on her shoulders and stares at her deeply in t
My Favorite Episode

Back
Top Bottom