• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Well, we're back! Let's start with that age-old topic:

Why do you like AdvanceShipping?

Shame, we were pretty close to 10,000 posts. :p

Why do you like Advanceshipping?
This is honestly a difficult question for me. I usually like to support the most canon 'shippings, but for Pokemon I "rebelled" and decided on something else. Maybe it was because I was never a fan of Misty, or maybe it was I really liked May as a character, etc.

I think I like this pairing for a multitude of reasons. I like that it was initially a pure Student/Teacher relationship that evolved into a strong friendship. With Pokeshipping, yeah, kids bicker with the ones they crush, but that doesn't mean I really like it. When I had first discovered 'shipping, I had made up my mind that I would pick the one that would seem the most realistically possible. At the time, that meant two main Ash 'shippings: Poke or Advance.

Before I would make up my mind, I decided to watch about 3-5 episodes of the Advanced Generation series. When I did, I realized that I enjoyed Ash and May's occassional bickering, but mostly encouraging conversation, over Ash and Misty's initial fighting. So I decided I'd like Advanceshipping better. Once I discovered AMVs, fanfics, and fanart, that is when I made up my mind that AAMayL is the cutest thing ever. So it supplies both of my needs: I could see this relationship actually turning into love, and it's rather nice to look at, talk about, etc.

I didn't mean to write an essay, sorry 'bout that. xD

Yay! New thread~

Well, I've always liked teacher/student relationships and AdvanceShipping is no exception. I mostly like it because of how much Satoshi taught Haruka and how dedicated he was to teaching her and that kinda stuff. That and I always thought there was something more realistic with them compared to other ships and that's another reason I like it. So yeah, I guess that's *mostly* why I like it...*gets awkward stares*

Oh yeah, and I made another banner:
52ca50.png

...*dot dot dot* :bawling: I didn't get the first post. All well. *sigh* HoneyPizzaShipping thread shall be mine!

Why do you like Advanceshipping?

For one, it just seems realistic. There isn't any of the 'hate-love' that never seems to happen in real life, or the cliched "WE'RE RIVALS! THEREFORE WE LOVE EACH OTHER" thing. AdvanceShipping is friendly, it's natural...It's..Normal, but not boring. Their interactions are extremely cute, and I can see May's memories of Ash lasting throughout her whole life.

I also like how Norman/Caroline and Bulbasaur/Bulbasaur parallel Ash and May's relationship, and how the "Titanic" parallels the 9th movie.

Well, back to the old classic topic. as one of the oldest members of the old advanceshipping tread i like advanceshipping because...

1. Ash and Misty releationship was annoying at a point, i still support this ship but i enjoy advanceshipping more because Ash and May never seem to argue and get along very well.

2. I believe their hints are not onesided like poke, both chararthers put in the right amount of hints for them to gain fans, (us!) i also beve their hints are decent and not desprerate like SOME pearl hints like the domino ad and the high five. (sorry i don't mean to be hurtful to other shippers. please forgive me)

3. Date expectations, Movie nine, and Bicker the Better are hints that show us that advanceshipping has a possible chance to become canon, Bicker the Better show us this, watch the episode carefully and listen to the dialog carefully because im sure the writter wouldn't make that episode for nothing, it shows that the writters could possible end up Ash with May. but every ship that exist in pokemon have a even chance to become canon.

In Bicker the Better we here Oscar and Andie say that if a girlxboy work well together they are in love and if not that means they on the road of falling in love, as the episode continues team rocket goes under the same thing, then the two meet up and begin a double battle, Jessie and May start to lose so Jessies cheats and one attack was aiming at May's Skitty unti Ash's Corphish protects May's Skitty and the two work togehter to knock team rocket away and at the end the two complament each other, showing that what Oscar and Andie said was true.

And with the movie nine, like the luvdisk one, i heard that luvdisks appear when two people are in love or that if two people swim in a school of luvdisks there is a chance of the two falling in love. Now ask yourself, why did the writers add that only Ash and May swim with teh luvdisks? why didn't they add Brock and Max?

And to others shippers that dislike that movie 9 is a advance movie, think, Ash was replaced with Drew (or anyother charather that you like with Ash or May) and did the EXACT same thing as Ash (or May) did, wouldn't you call all that hints? hm?

4. The fanart of advanceshipping is totally cute, of course all the shipping drawings are cute but PD+ and Suzu really make the ship so cute and popluar.

So yeah, that ends on why i LOVE advanceshipping. ^^

Shame, we were pretty close to 10,000 posts. :p

omg no milestone discussion

Anyway, I think I've said just about all I can about why I like Advanceshipping. The relationship itself seemed to build up over a long period of time and achieve a level of depth that I didn't seem to find in other comparable ships. I also liked the mentor-student dynamic that several other posters already mentioned.

Aww...and to think the thread I joined is closed down...:(

AdvanceShipping just seems so realistic. Both Ash and May have shown that they can get along really well and don't tend to bicker frequently, if anything, they support and help each other, further strengthening their student/mentor relationship....not be best reasons I've given, but then again, I've leave it like that for teh lulz. ^^

Aye...DD's already posting ADV images. XP

Well, I wouldn't blame him. XP

Ah... I can honestly say, when I started getting into the fandom, I was looking over all the facts, and when it came to the Misty vs May debate, I noticed that Misty seemed to be quite... intimidating... Also, it seemed that May would have a netter relationship. Not to mention hearsay about what some of the PokeShippers have done to other ships...

Hence, why I am an AdvanceShipper, and have been so throughout my time here and on BMGF.

So this is the new thread...Seems weird to be starting over like this during the war against Team Rocket, but whatever...

I do think that AdvanceShipping seems more natural than PokeShipping, mostly because Ash and May aren't always on the verge of biting each others' heads off, like Ash and Misty. Also, the mentor-student relationship that Ash and May developed can easily turn into something more.

I hadn't watched Pokemon in years, the last thing I knew a couple of months ago was that Pokemon was Ash, Misty and Brock. Then I got the flu, and spent a week in bed being sick just at a time when our cartoon channel was airing all the Pokemon movies.

I didn't know May at all before I saw movie nine, and when I saw it I actually thought Ash and May were supposed to represent a couple.

Secretly though, I'm more of a May fan than an Advanceshipping fan.
May is hawt, but Advanceshipping is fine too.

P.S. Haruka's Joy is the best forum style.

Ash and May actually *communicate* with one another instead of simply talking at one another, a trap that has ensnared some ships that come to mind. It also helps that they've shown a particularly strong emotional bond (for a pair of humans in this show) between them on more than one occasion, partly *because* it started off as an active mentor-student relationship and metamorphosed into a very intimate friendship at absolute worst(and the seeds of a future successful romance at best).

Ah, what a shame that I did not get first posting XD oh well, advanceshipping is back, and that's all I need to be happy :D

*trumpet fanfare*

ANNOUNCING THE GRAND ENTRACE OF THE ADV THREAD!!!! *applause*

lol, may I make a short speech?

To those who may feel sad of the old thread closing (as i know i was), do not think of this as an ending. That thread closing does not mark the ending of advanceshipping - it only shows a new beginning. A new generation of Advanceshipping spirit, one that will become bigger and better than the last. You can always return to the old thread to survey the hints that had been gathered, but know that there is nothing to grieve over. Advanceshipping has once again survived a blow, and will now prosper like before! We have been reborn - a new story, a new beginning :]

ok, now for the topic...

where to start, where to start XD to give the simplified version, I must say that I love advanceshipping for its quality and its orignality. The "student/mentor" relationship is more than touching, and the hints are incredibly sweet. We have hints in every movie, especially Movie 9. The parellelism and the other shippings together with this main ship are incredibly sweet as well. But evidence aside, Ash and May belong together. They complete each other - May brings out the mature Ash that we love, and Ash showed May all the knowledge she now knows about pokemon. It's fate, destiny, romeo and juliet, two halves make a whole, damsel in distress, and all other romantic things put together to create something that is unique all by itself. Not only that, the fanbase has some of the most talented artists and fanvid makers and writers as well. What's not to love? ;]

and now, the first new evidence of this thread! (i typed this up before to post in the old thread, so I have to go back a little in time...)

Going back to DD's speculation about the Norman/Caroline and Ash/May parallelism, I have to say that, now that you've revealed it, it makes so much sense! And caroline and norman’s little engagement story about the beautiflys? And May having a beautifly and ash a butterfree and May’s beautifly landing on Ash’s head? The parallelism is suddenly really clear 0_0 if you don’t mind DD, im going to add that to our ADV website ^^ *adds new hint speculation*

OMYGOODNESS! I think I’ve just found something big…

So…I was doing some research on Japanese culture and what is considered romantic…and there is this “lovers knot” you can make in origami. It’s supposed to “connect two lovers…etc” Well, here is what an origami lover’s knot looks like…

NewLoversKnot.jpg

loveknot2.gif

Doesn’t it look familiar????

ASHMAYRIBBON.jpg

The terracotta ribbon is a strange shape to begin with. The other ribbons that May won looked different, like actual ribbons. But this? And its specific shape?????

:eek:

(these pics were found on this website.)

what do you guys think about that?

ah yes, before i sign off, a little "welcome back" gift to the thread....

Kiss-edit-2.gif

making edits are hard but worth it in the end ^^

(do i need to spoiler this? or anything in this post? if so, im so sorry for not doing so - i'll fix it at once if one points out something is wrong ^^")

Last edited:
OMYGOODNESS! I think I’ve just found something big…

So…I was doing some research on Japanese culture and what is considered romantic…and there is this “lovers knot” you can make in origami. It’s supposed to “connect two lovers…etc” Well, here is what an origami lover’s knot looks like…

loveknot2.gif

Here’s another shot…
NewLoversKnot.jpg

Doesn’t it look familiar????

ASHMAYRIBBON.jpg

The terracotta ribbon is a strange shape to begin with. The other ribbons that May won looked different, like actual ribbons. But this? And its specific shape?????

:eek:

(these pics were found on this website.)

what do you guys think about that?

I'm not seeing the similarities. The knot and ribbon just don't look that much alike. There does, however, seem to be a resemblance between the knot... and two... Luvdisc.

I'm not seeing the similarities. The knot and ribbon just don't look that much alike. There does, however, seem to be a resemblance between the knot... and two... Luvdisc.

yes, the luvdiscs as well. (well, luvdiscs are an advanceshippy hint too i guess XD) but i was thinking the first one, the general make up and shape - with an object in the center with two flaps coming out :sweatlol: then again, i tend to overanalyze ^^ though i still find it sweet :3

Well, it's great to be back! We were closing in on 10,000 posts when Team Rocket had to interfere. Let the road to 10,000 begin again!

Here is a new topic(I am taking this one from the old thread)

What movie would you like to see Ash and May in?

I'll answer it later.

RISE OF DARKRAI!!!

srsly that movie fits perfectly for them if they were in it

It's a shame that the old thread was closed but as long as we can discuss Advance it's all good. ;)

AdvanceShipping just clicks for me. The originality, the moments, Its canon status the cute hints, and pretty much everything about it. The student/mentor relationship is just amazing since it brought out the mature side of Ash. And I think that its cuter than the other rival ships, IMO.

Eh, TBH I don't watch movies too often, but, if I had to choose, I'd like to see them in 'Titanic'.

Here's a pretty fanart:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom