• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Re: AdvanceShipping Nation

Wow, fast welcomes. I'm impressed.

I haven't seen this one before:

http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%B9%C2%D0%C7%C3%F8/pic/item/286827fd9d8235d7fc037f97.jpg

On a more relevant subject: apparently, in the Chinese dub of Movie 9, the music played when Ash and May are swimming among the Luvdisc is a love song! I'm suddenly in a very positive mood now.

The link doesn't work. What is it about?

Having Luvdisc around them is one thing, but a love song as well? It's like Chinese dubbers also love the ship!

Speaking of foreign opinion on shipping, I found a forum where the main supported ship(as in the most popular there) is... you guessed it, Advanceshipping! Just like how Pokeshipping is treated here in Bulbapedia. I don't even know what the language of the forum is, but I think it's middle-eastern(but no specifics). I'm searching online for it again, but so far no luck. Have you guys seen something like it?

Oh wow that sounds cool xD The main reason PokeShipping is so popular on the forums is because the forums consists of mainly older viewers >> But seeing ADV as a more supported ship is a real breath of fresh air ^-^

Try going to the 'visited sites' tab on google

I know it's not any random forum, either, since it has a huge member list. I only brought it up because I thought some of you guys may have stumbled on it while looking up ADV randomly on the internet just like I did. I want to visit it again, even if I don't understand the language... Only for the sake of it being an ADV-centric site. Who knows how many fanart we might find there that we might not find anywhere else?

I agree with DD, Bulbagarden and SPPF members consists of older members.

Yeah , also I can assure you that most of the popular pokemon forums in latin america have a large community of Advanceshippers (I'm part of it xD),while Pokeshipping and Contestshipping communities are slowly fading away.

It's strange, I dunno the reason of why Advanceshipping is still strong here, but I'd like to think that it's because of the hints and chances of it actually happening, or maybe it's just because people think Ash and May are a cute couple.

That's why there are great advanceshipping artists as Kame-Ash and Atharple. : D

Last edited:

The most likely reason that Pokeshipping doesn't have much of an impact today compared to others is because its main supporters are of the age where they have moved out of the house and started their own lives.

Give it a few years, and AS will likely end up the same way.

Last edited:

The link doesn't work. What is it about?

Having Luvdisc around them is one thing, but a love song as well? It's like Chinese dubbers also love the ship!

Sorry, I'll just host the image - sometimes there's not enough bandwidth.

286827fd9d8235d7fc037f97.jpg

This is not my art. I found it on a forum where credit was not given. I cannot find the image anywhere else. If anyone knows who the artist is, please tell me.

Anyway, there are many Advanceshippers in China; one of the reasons is that AG/BF ended there relatively recently, about a year or so ago. Even so, there seem to be fewer and fewer rival shippers and significantly more Chinese fanfiction about Advanceshipping than other ships.

The most likely reason that Pokeshipping doesn't have much of an impact today compared to others is because its main supporters are of the age where they have moved out of the house and started their own lives.

At least in my experience, Pokeshipping is still quite popular amongst its supporters. I, personally, think that I will still be playing Pokemon in eight or ten years, so that's not going to stop me.

Of course, older people will grow over it, but there's always new people that will come to join the pokemon shipping fandom and they will decide wich shipping they will support.

I think the most likely reason that Pokeshipping doesn't have that impact now is because the writers are forgetting about Misty , who haven't appeared in the anime for so long time. (And in my experience, the same is happening with Contest)

Of course, May could suffer the same fate, but it depends of what the writers decide, so nobody knows what would happen.

Look at this thread, many people here weren't even Pokemon fans when AG started back in 2002-2003 and they still chose Adv because it have had a bit of continuity or whatever reason.

Last edited:

Look at this thread, many people here weren't even Pokemon fans when AG started back in 2002-2003 and they still chose Adv because it have had a bit of continuity or whatever reason.

I'll support that. I've played Pokemon since '99, but I never watched the show much, and I only got into shipping around '05-'06 when I watched some of the AG.

Second: I don't know how many of you know this, but PD+'s website has some Advanceshipping comics with dialogue in Japanese. Since that is incomprehensible to most of our English speaking Advanceshipping community, I have decided to translate them! (Not really. I found that someone had translated the Japanese into Chinese, which I can translate into English.) Here's one - enjoy!

m06.png

Original by PD+, at http://pdxplus.main.jp/20100620/m06.html

Certainly Pokeshipping is going to remain popular. It's the first ship and the strongest in terms of screentime and (imo) canonical evidence. The issue here is lifespan.

Look at Pokeshipping. It kicked off in the first years of the anime and had little to no competition. Ensue the fandom gushing over it and creating thousands of scenarios for it.

Then Advanceshiping rolls along, and Pokeshipping gets it first "Oh shit, this could actually happen!" phase. Enter a high point of PS fics where Brendan becomes canon and/or May is made into Satan incarnate, and the fandom imagines scenarios where Misty returns and/or keeps contact with Ash.

Contestshipping arrives. Pokeshipping take a collective sigh. They now have a "safeguard" ship to go with. Result? A thousand more scenarios where Contestshipping is made canon and is used as a push to bolster PS's safety.

Misty physically arrives for two cameos (3, if you want to count the Mastermind special) with some character-developing moments. PS has another high point where scenarios and stories are situated with these events in the timeline.

As a result, the longevity of the ship ran its course, possibly a lot faster than it should have. All the ideas have been thought of with what PS has got, all the stories have been written, the 10 years worth of hints have been examined over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, to the point that some Pokeshippers have began to do the very thing many people ridiculed the Pearlshippers of doing, examining purely friendly moments in order to construe it into a shipping context. Until Misty makes another cameo that has an incredible impact on Ash and Misty's character, there is damn near nowhere PS has left to go.

Now, Advanceshipping. It's 5 years younger than PS. What high points has this ship gone through? A small surge at the beginning of AG where it was at PS's throat, but then it essentially drowned into oblivion when Contest showed up. It got two moments with The Bicker the Better and Brianna, but during all of AG, AS was the third banana to PS and CS.

When May had her cameo in DP, the AS fandom shockingly got a jumpstart, but what was more shocking was that it met little opposition. Contestshippers were left with their mouths open, Pearlshippers really didn't care, and PS didn't really have anything to dissuade it, with a lack of Misty sans her lure. From there, the AS fandom steadily began to gain more ground, into what it has today.

Really, it's a combination of longevity and the characters involved that's the issue. PS has 13 years under its belt, with three moments in the running where the fandom exploded with activity. With Misty gone for this long, and everything imagined, however, there's nowhere else to look at. Advanceshipping, on the other hand, is 8 years old, but never had a moment of incredible activity because it could never get that moment thanks to it being drowned out by PS and CS enthusiasts. Now with PSers cherishing the golden days and CSers off who knows where, AS has reign to explore scenarios that it couldn't before in fear of severe backlash.

Certainly Pokeshipping is going to remain popular. It's the first ship and the strongest in terms of screentime and (imo) canonical evidence. The issue here is lifespan.

Look at Pokeshipping. It kicked off in the first years of the anime and had little to no competition. Ensue the fandom gushing over it and creating thousands of scenarios for it.

Then Advanceshiping rolls along, and Pokeshipping gets it first "Oh shit, this could actually happen!" phase. Enter a high point of PS fics where Brendan becomes canon and/or May is made into Satan incarnate, and the fandom imagines scenarios where Misty returns and/or keeps contact with Ash.

Contestshipping arrives. Pokeshipping take a collective sigh. They now have a "safeguard" ship to go with. Result? A thousand more scenarios where Contestshipping is made canon and is used as a push to bolster PS's safety.

Misty physically arrives for two cameos (3, if you want to count the Mastermind special) with some character-developing moments. PS has another high point where scenarios and stories are situated with these events in the timeline.

As a result, the longevity of the ship ran its course, possibly a lot faster than it should have. All the ideas have been thought of with what PS has got, all the stories have been written, the 10 years worth of hints have been examined over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, to the point that some Pokeshippers have began to do the very thing many people ridiculed the Pearlshippers of doing, examining purely friendly moments in order to construe it into a shipping context. Until Misty makes another cameo that has an incredible impact on Ash and Misty's character, there is damn near nowhere PS has left to go.

Now, Advanceshipping. It's 5 years younger than PS. What high points has this ship gone through? A small surge at the beginning of AG where it was at PS's throat, but then it essentially drowned into oblivion when Contest showed up. It got two moments with The Bicker the Better and Brianna, but during all of AG, AS was the third banana to PS and CS.

When May had her cameo in DP, the AS fandom shockingly got a jumpstart, but what was more shocking was that it met little opposition. Contestshippers were left with their mouths open, Pearlshippers really didn't care, and PS didn't really have anything to dissuade it, with a lack of Misty sans her lure. From there, the AS fandom steadily began to gain more ground, into what it has today.

Really, it's a combination of longevity and the characters involved that's the issue. PS has 13 years under its belt, with three moments in the running where the fandom exploded with activity. With Misty gone for this long, and everything imagined, however, there's nowhere else to look at. Advanceshipping, on the other hand, is 8 years old, but never had a moment of incredible activity because it could never get that moment thanks to it being drowned out by PS and CS enthusiasts. Now with PSers cherishing the golden days and CSers off who knows where, AS has reign to explore scenarios that it couldn't before in fear of severe backlash.

HOLY BLEEP ON A BLEEP SANDWICH!!! Who came up with this?? It describes AS so well...

^haha yeah, that's actually a nice analysis of what happened, new people should read it to understand the actual state of these 3 shippings.

Let's be clear, it's obvious ( and it'd be fool to denied it) that Advanceshipping is below Contest and Pokeshipping in terms of "hints" right now, but even with this disadvantage, there are people who still support it. What saved Advanceshipping of totally get drowned is thanks to the reasons you've pointed out so well. The hope Advacenshippers have it's still there.

And that's when it comes to my mind one question: If they planned to make contest and poke canon, why the writers gave hints( 1 or 2, but hints at least) to Advanceshipping in the first place?
I know that happens alot, in series , movies, books, etc, but it's kind of rude how they made people believe in something and then take it away, knowing that the pokemon shipping fandom is one of the more passionate of it's kind. It also might happen with Pokeshipping and Contest.

Then ,asumming that the writers are (most likely) biased by popularity,(as it was with Poke and Contest), and this is the actual state of shipping in the anime, think about what Advanceshipping may be if this popularity continues to increase.

At the end, does it matter?
People decide what they like and what not.
Shipping are nothing without fans.
There is not canon shipping yet, and writers will have the last word.

Second: I don't know how many of you know this, but PD+'s website has some Advanceshipping comics with dialogue in Japanese. Since that is incomprehensible to most of our English speaking Advanceshipping community, I have decided to translate them! (Not really. I found that someone had translated the Japanese into Chinese, which I can translate into English.) Here's one - enjoy!

m06.png

Original by PD+, at http://pdxplus.main.jp/20100620/m06.html

Nice one, I hope PD+ return too and continue to make these : D

Last edited:

Man, that is so true... I hope ADV finally gets its time in the spotlight...

I only brought up pokeshipping as comparison to the forum I'm looking for. I never wanted it to turn into a full-blown 'history' discussion when I got back.

On a different subject:
"Misty was highly hinted to have feelings for Ash, but she left the show without any resolution on that, and the former head writer even said that she never really had feelings towards him, but since he left the show a long time ago and the pairing received hints after he left, it's still a strong possibility. May had a Belligerent Sexual Tension routine going on with Drew, but she was also hinted to like Ash. Dawn had Ship Tease moments with Ash, Kenny (who was highly implied to have a crush on her) and Zoey, and she's also stalked by Conway. Ash was hinted to like Misty during the early seasons, but by Johto he turned into a full Chaste Hero, though there are still rare moments of Ship Tease from his side with all 3 female leads. And then there's a bunch of minor characters and even some pokemon with confirmed crushes on Ash. And then we have Brock, who crushes on every pretty girl he sees, but it never goes anywhere, even with the girls that are interested, and his single attempt to settle down ended with him running away for reasons that were never explained. And there's also Jessie and James of Team Rocket, who may or may not have feelings for each other. And there are probably some more people that I forgot. To make matters worse, the anime tendency to Ship Tease all sorts of couples but never actually resolving anything means that this Love Dodecahedron will probably only get more complicated in the future."

That's what they called it: a dodecahedron. Aside from ADV I'm just neutral on all the other ships(neither like or hate, that is). The nice little paragraph above coincidentally(it's by another author) sums up my opinion on the whole thing.

This one's inspired by a hilarious little fanart I saw a while ago:
How much do you think would it affect the pre-existing advanceshipping hints if Ash was a little more 'conscious' (not to the extent of Brock though) regarding girls?

How much do you think would it affect the pre-existing advanceshipping hints if Ash was a little more 'conscious' (not to the extent of Brock though) regarding girls?

what worries me is that he may not make so much body contact in a "respect private space" kind of way-this would be bad for us for he was always very close to May but this could also work in our favor because by some small chance he might get the hint in Date expectations left by May and may have acted on it-who know?

I've only been in the Pokemon fandom for around a year, but here are my point of views.

We all have to keep in mind that the writers weren't planning to go past Kanto, and definitely not the Orange Islands. That's why PokeShipping was so prominent with the entire fandom - The older watchers were only familiar with Kanto; generally more people knew about Misty more than May or Dawn and some people just couldn't be stuffed to go through 400+ episodes of a kids show to make up their mind. Of course the writers would stuff as much as they could into the children's mind to make PokeShipping look virtually indestructible as a pairing. But then, notice how when they got into Johto, everything started toning down by a whole lot? Misty's personality, everyone's personality, actually. The hints started ebbing down, and soon things just appeared one sided from Misty's side.

Misty left, fandom raged, May came on, and then in the first episode of AG, we got our first solid hint - The famous "YES!" scene. More raging; more supporters. Then as the episodes climbed on, we gained hints at a crazy rate - One every 2 episodes, 2 or 3 in an episode. More raging; more supporters. By then, I think people just got desperate, and rage fics surfaced, along with hate art and flame vids. When Contestshipping arised, the entire PokeShipping fandom had found themselves some kind of convenient safe. Epic raging begins, debates rised, the newly found AdvanceShippers found themselves in a corner, and retaliated with their own rage, but being so young, they didn't have enough to push on.

But enough of that. Do we honestly need to compare ADV to ContestShipping? My own belief is that ContestShipping is similar to the 10 yr old crush Misty had on Ash.

Really, on their 2nd encounter and Drew would have a rose ready to give her? Either he's been stalking her (No, Nothing about 'Drew the stalker'), or he just had there by coincidence. And thinking that on a second meeting they are already in love? Preposterous if you ask me. Drew had hardly 30 episodes throughout the whole of AG, whereas Ash had been literally next to May for the whole of around 200 episodes (Give and take). Drew is mentioned and remembered only in contest related episodes when he's not in them. So who gives? Yes, that could also apply with PokeShipping and PearlShipping. But what ever. Ash is a pimp.

AdvanceShipping has it's own charm, and in my opinion, it's far more believable than 10 yr olds giving other 10 yr olds roses on their second meeting, when they didn't even know that they'll be meeting each other. In my eyes, AdvanceShipping has the largest potential in all the debatable Pokemon 'ships to actually lead to love, and not represent puppy love. For AdvanceShipping, Ash actually had to 'man up' several times for May, and actually be mature and not act 8 in the face of rivalry. And we all know that after every ContestShipping hint, there would be an AdvanceShipping hint right behind it.

Anyone else find it fishy when Ash wanted to enter a contest right after May finished her Kanto grand festival ;)

I've only been in the Pokemon fandom for around a year, but here are my point of views.

We all have to keep in mind that the writers weren't planning to go past Kanto, and definitely not the Orange Islands. That's why PokeShipping was so prominent with the entire fandom - The older watchers were only familiar with Kanto; generally more people knew about Misty more than May or Dawn and some people just couldn't be stuffed to go through 400+ episodes of a kids show to make up their mind. Of course the writers would stuff as much as they could into the children's mind to make PokeShipping look virtually indestructible as a pairing. But then, notice how when they got into Johto, everything started toning down by a whole lot? Misty's personality, everyone's personality, actually. The hints started ebbing down, and soon things just appeared one sided from Misty's side.

Misty left, fandom raged, May came on, and then in the first episode of AG, we got our first solid hint - The famous "YES!" scene. More raging; more supporters. Then as the episodes climbed on, we gained hints at a crazy rate - One every 2 episodes, 2 or 3 in an episode. More raging; more supporters. By then, I think people just got desperate, and rage fics surfaced, along with hate art and flame vids. When Contestshipping arised, the entire PokeShipping fandom had found themselves some kind of convenient safe. Epic raging begins, debates rised, the newly found AdvanceShippers found themselves in a corner, and retaliated with their own rage, but being so young, they didn't have enough to push on.

But enough of that. Do we honestly need to compare ADV to ContestShipping? My own belief is that ContestShipping is similar to the 10 yr old crush Misty had on Ash.

Really, on their 2nd encounter and Drew would have a rose ready to give her? Either he's been stalking her (No, Nothing about 'Drew the stalker'), or he just had there by coincidence. And thinking that on a second meeting they are already in love? Preposterous if you ask me. Drew had hardly 30 episodes throughout the whole of AG, whereas Ash had been literally next to May for the whole of around 200 episodes (Give and take). Drew is mentioned and remembered only in contest related episodes when he's not in them. So who gives? Yes, that could also apply with PokeShipping and PearlShipping. But what ever. Ash is a pimp.

AdvanceShipping has it's own charm, and in my opinion, it's far more believable than 10 yr olds giving other 10 yr olds roses on their second meeting, when they didn't even know that they'll be meeting each other. In my eyes, AdvanceShipping has the largest potential in all the debatable Pokemon 'ships to actually lead to love, and not represent puppy love. For AdvanceShipping, Ash actually had to 'man up' several times for May, and actually be mature and not act 8 in the face of rivalry. And we all know that after every ContestShipping hint, there would be an AdvanceShipping hint right behind it.

Anyone else find it fishy when Ash wanted to enter a contest right after May finished her Kanto grand festival ;)

currently in the show, almost all kid/kid shippings are one-sided for the moment. any ash/(any main character girl or reoccuring character) shipping is one-sided on the girls(ash is such a chick magnet and he's too stupid to realize it. why can't he choose someone already, except for dawn), contestshipping is one-sided on drew's side

Like most said, PS had absolutely no competition and basically had a free reign. There was Palletshipping but really, it could not keep up with PS for long. The shipping wars and the treaties kept it alive for a while. Ultimately it fell behind. In the Orange Islands, there were a few Orangeshipping moments here and there but nothing too big. The series moved on to Johto which is where, I feel, PS reached the zenith of its popularity. With no obstruction, a huge number of fans supported PS. Then came Misty's farewell. Outraged though they were about Misty's departure, they took the fact that Misty recieved a much better farewell than Brock as a major hint. Brock'sack of farewell became apparant when he returned after a couple of episodes in AG.

May came on the scene. With Pokemon's popularity in general being lower than its hay day the scope for AS's popularity reaching that was highly unlike, combined with many fans feeling bitter, as they do to this day, about Misty's departure. May was initially not well recieved. Those that did not particularly care or like Misty, like me, welcomed May. Many started liking AS. PS seemed to waver for a bit but CS arrived on the scene. As CS was an awesome complementary ship for PS, many PS supporters adored this ship. With CS gaining poplarity greatly, AS was the ship that seemed likely to die out. Fortunately, it stayed strong and recieved major hints in Movie 9, The Bicker the Better, etc. News of May's departure reached the fans. And when they heard that she will be going with Drew to Johto, CS's popularity increased.(they ignored the fact that May was travelling alone and not going to Johto just for Drew but because Harley and Solidad were there too)

May's actual farewell was quite good because it ended Ash and May's mentor-student relationship on a great note with that tie and ribbon. Not particularly Advanceshippy, the episode is nonetheless, fondly remembered by AS supporters.

Dawn arrived and there was a change. Most May fans did not feel bitter or as bitter as Misty fans. Pearlshipping was the new pairing and fairly popular. May's cameo brought back the ribbon and its significance it held for May. There was only a passing mention of Drew. AS was increasing in popularity once again. From that point on, AS has held on to its popularity surge which was greatly helped by Misty's lack of cameo.

I see good days ahead for AS.

Like most said, PS had absolutely no competition and basically had a free reign. There was Palletshipping but really, it could not keep up with PS for long. The shipping wars and the treaties kept it alive for a while. Ultimately it fell behind. In the Orange Islands, there were a few Orangeshipping moments here and there but nothing too big. The series moved on to Johto which is where, I feel, PS reached the zenith of its popularity. With no obstruction, a huge number of fans supported PS. Then came Misty's farewell. Outraged though they were about Misty's departure, they took the fact that Misty recieved a much better farewell than Brock as a major hint. Brock'sack of farewell became apparant when he returned after a couple of episodes in AG.

May came on the scene. With Pokemon's popularity in general being lower than its hay day the scope for AS's popularity reaching that was highly unlike, combined with many fans feeling bitter, as they do to this day, about Misty's departure. May was initially not well recieved. Those that did not particularly care or like Misty, like me, welcomed May. Many started liking AS. PS seemed to waver for a bit but CS arrived on the scene. As CS was an awesome complementary ship for PS, many PS supporters adored this ship. With CS gaining poplarity greatly, AS was the ship that seemed likely to die out. Fortunately, it stayed strong and recieved major hints in Movie 9, The Bicker the Better, etc. News of May's departure reached the fans. And when they heard that she will be going with Drew to Johto, CS's popularity increased.(they ignored the fact that May was travelling alone and not going to Johto just for Drew but because Harley and Solidad were there too)

May's actual farewell was quite good because it ended Ash and May's mentor-student relationship on a great note with that tie and ribbon. Not particularly Advanceshippy, the episode is nonetheless, fondly remembered by AS supporters.

Dawn arrived and there was a change. Most May fans did not feel bitter or as bitter as Misty fans. Pearlshipping was the new pairing and fairly popular. May's cameo brought back the ribbon and its significance it held for May. There was only a passing mention of Drew. AS was increasing in popularity once again. From that point on, AS has held on to its popularity surge which was greatly helped by Misty's lack of cameo.

I see good days ahead for AS.

There is no question that PS was unchallenged until the Advanced Generation. During AG, Contestshipping's popularity was at its peak, mostly because Pokeshippers saw Contestshipping as a way to separate May and Ash. Advanceshipping hints evenly matched Contestshipping hints, however, so the community remained deadlocked as neither side was willing to acknowledge that the other made valid points. So Advanceshippers hung on throughout AG, always behind in popularity.

Then came the end of AG. May left the group, but not before Movie 9 and the Terracotta Ribbon. We had something to sustain us.

May's cameo came in the Wallace Cup. Drew was mentioned briefly, in a way no different from the mentions of Harley and Solidad. There was no new, relevant information about him other than the evolution of his Roselia. This essentially had the same effect on Contestshippers as a Specs boosted STAB Ice Beam would have against Torterra. The Advanceshipping hints in the same episodes were superb.

Very recently, it has been revealed that
Brock and Dawn will make an appearance in BW. Thus, I see no reason why May is any less likely to make another cameo.

Stand together, Advanceshippers! We have every reason to carry on.

Just think, did Drew swim with May surrounded by Luvdisk?, did Drew and May split the Terracotta ribbon?, And was Drew the "father" of Manaphy? DIDN'T THINK SO...

Back
Top Bottom