• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

The party has started! :bounce: ADV cupcakes around! Look at those amazing banners! Rainbow and fresh derpy meaty replies..

Suppose Ash actually decided to go down the ADV route. How would he start?

If Ash actually decides to go down the ADV route, it won't be hard for him, considering he has quite of a headstart. I'll say Ash will start out by organizing some sort of an anniversary party like he did with Pikachu. Then, they begin to hang out and all those.... Save me I'm pretty bad at this kind of stuff.

I think fanarts suit the cards better. Post more of them! Especially with May in that nice 'angelic' outfit from M08. Do ye guys have a name for that outfit?

Actually, I've never named any of May's outfits!! But the fanart does actually look good on the card, now that you mention it......
Suppose Ash actually decided to go down the ADV route. How would he start?
I don't think I can think of a good answer for this. He's so dense that he'd be so confused if he fell in love, anyway...... Well, maybe one day, something just clicks, and he finds himself admiring her or something, and he loves her, but he's really confused, 'cuz...you know. And then he just randomly blurts out, "I love you," or something like that. XD Sorry, I really can't think of anything......

The party has started! :bounce: ADV cupcakes around!

That's the spirit xLolPanda! Happiness and ADV cupcakes for everyone!

ADVcupcakes_zps2eb8b081.png

(continuing with the rainbow theme. Quick edit, sorry it's sloppy orz)

Anyway, I tend to call May's Movie 8 outfit the "princess" outfit, cause that's pretty much what it is haha. Any more elaborate names though, I'll take it x)

Let's get another topic circulating...

What would be the theme of May and Ash's wedding?

Yes, kinda girly question, sorry ^^ But whatcha got? Color schemes, food, wedding location, honeymoon location, outfits...the works!

The party has started! :bounce: ADV cupcakes around!

That's the spirit xLolPanda! Happiness and ADV cupcakes for everyone!

ADVcupcakes_zps2eb8b081.png

(continuing with the rainbow theme. Quick edit, sorry it's sloppy orz)

Anyway, I tend to call May's Movie 8 outfit the "princess" outfit, cause that's pretty much what it is haha. Any more elaborate names though, I'll take it x)

Let's get another topic circulating...

Yes, kinda girly question, sorry ^^ But whatcha got? Color schemes, food, wedding location, honeymoon location, outfits...the works!

How about something involving a return to Cameron Palace? That is, after all, the site of the whole knight/princess costuming with our heroes.

I'm afraid that is not rule I was referring to at all, this happens to be it. It is a forum-wide rule, and is still in effect.

Copyright Violation
(4 points, 10 for severe violations) :
Members may not request or provide help to illegally view copyrighted content, and may not in any way admit to using ROMs. YouTube and similar links are allowed, except YouTube links to full pokémon episodes or movies (in part or whole). Mentioning fan translation in general is permitted, but not specific translation groups or projects. Finally, when putting someone else's fanworks in your forum or blog post, you should at least note that it is not yours and if possible credit the creator.

I'm just noting it all for in future, to credit the original artist when able. Also, the sourcing was not the only issue with the content, as aforementioned in my post. Thank you.

Wow, cool cupcakes~!
Now I'm going to (try to) answer the question...
I've always sucked at these sort of questions... I guess it could have something to do with royalty, since Ash is the king of the sea or something and May is the princess of...well, Hoenn. XD
Or it could be water-themed--with Ash being the king of the sea and May having sapphire eyes and having a connection with Manaphy.
Dunno...I can suck pretty badly at these questions sometimes.

.....I would have to say either water/manaphy considering movie nine or go for anikasnow's answer because of the whole movie 8 and what he said, it would see cute that the image of ash and may in their princess and aura guardian costumes would be their weeding attire

All right, so since the consensus of the wedding seems to be the water themed royalty, here's what I've got for you...

Presenting:
quickexercise_zps23198e4b.png

AaMayLWeddingScheme_zpsbd8eeb6a.png

(so, I tried to organize this in the "wedding planner" fashion you see on tumblrs and stuff haha)

Anyway, the wedding would most likely be held at the Sea Temple (Samiya) or something that looked like it (upper left box). As their "child," Manaphy would call on all the ocean's pokemon to herald the couple, as well as the necessary Luvdiscs for both memory's sake and future blessings (bottom middle box). There would be beautiful aquatic decorations in the main room, where each table where the guests sit would have a fountain in the middle, surrounded by soft glowing lights (bottom left box). The food (because we know how much our couple loves food) would feature delicate desserts and hearty main meals...namely, fancy ramen (because we know how much they love ramen), and the wedding cake would be pink to symbolize love, Luvdiscs, and the pink of their shared Terracotta ribbon (middle middle box).

May's wedding gown would be made of white silk as supple as water, with a simple bodice, a long train, and a gauze veil. She would be wearing pink pearls throughout her outfit because "pearl" in Latin means "unique" (which is what Advanceshipping is), and pink pearls specifically symbolize happiness, loyalty, and success--because both our heroes and successful pokemon trainers/coordinators respectively. (top right box).

Ash's tuxedo would be white to match May's, and his inner dress shirt would be purple, because purple is the color of royalty (King of the Sea) and is the "Advanceshipping" color (because Ash=blue and May=red). He would be wearing a corsage that matches May's flower crown, and of course Pikachu would be on his shoulder as his best...man....and wearing a purple bow tie, because why not? (bottom right box).

After the wedding, there would be much rejoicing and food and dancing. Hip, hip, hooray.

.....yeah, this has got to be one of the harder edits I've done because the wedding outfits were just SO HARD TO MAKE from their Wallace Cup outfits haha. Ugh, these babies, they rob me of an actual life <3

Last edited:
Hello everyone!!! Its been so long since I posted here! Anyways enough of that and on to whats Important, There's this short amazing animation a friend of mine on deviantart made at my request, which I'm truly grateful for!! You guys should go check it out you'll love it!!! Its an amazing addition to our advanceshipping fandom!!! the links down below!

Advanceshipping by shangerz on deviantART

After you've seen it please show your gratitude to him. After I watched it myself for the first time, the first thing that I wanted to do was share it with my lovely advanceshipping family here, so go ahead and watch it!!!!
as an honorary mention the artist's name is 'shangerz'

ya know I been thinking, Ash is getting more romance related (even if he is dense as shit), and halloween is coming up so.....
What pairings should they crossdress as in halloween (sorry for bad topic)

Hey guys! Well, I finally decided to make an account over here too. For those who know me, good. For those who don't, I go by the same username over on Serebii and on Advancers. So, yeah. Hi :3

Welcome, ThatOneQuilava :) Hope you stick around despite the currently subdued atmosphere. May the advanceshipping spirit always be with you.

Anyways, nice topic Aloasa! Halloween is coming up, so get festive everyone!

What pairings should they crossdress as in Halloween?

Hm...they would probably dress up as Pokémon, right? Ash could go as a Snorlax and May could go as a Munchlax haha...I feel that it would be both accurate, cute, and symbolic XD Or...they could do something really silly, like one of them can dress up as a cookie, and the other as milk....because we know how well cookies and milk go together <3

Speaking of how well our favorite couple go together though, I was browsing through the Wallace Cup arc again and I just--

THESE
WallaceCup3_zps45cd6b69.png

CUTIES
WallaceCup1_zps68f8b4ea.png

UGH
WallaceCup2_zps33e85f61.png

In the last one, they even look like they're the parents trying to convince Dawn (as if she were their kid) that she'll be just fine in the upcoming pokemon battle. Carrying on the legacy!

But yeah, in the social psychology class I'm in right now, we're learning that one of the most important factors that determine a long-lasting romantic relationship is similarity. Looks like Ash and May have got that covered, huh? :)

Also, an adorable fanart:
pokemon_ag__movie_9_by_vulpixi_misa-d4xp7fs.jpg
By Vulpixi-Misa

Reminds us just how great Movie 9 was <3

Aww, cute comic. :) And AdvanceShipping is the most similar Ash can be with someone, in my opinion. XD

What pairings should they crossdress as in Halloween?
Well, since Ash and May are in a Pokemon Universe, they should naturally crossdress as something in their universe. So maybe they could crossdress as Plusle and Minun, or Volbeat and Illumise, or Tate and Liza (XD)
Or, maybe, they could dress up as a more Halloween-y pokemon. I heard that in Generation VI, there's a pokemon called Pumpkaboo or something. I don't know what it looks like, but I'm guessing it looks kinda sorta like a pumpkin, so maybe...? Maybe, Ash and May could crossdress like that. Or something like that pumpkin pokemon and a Gengar/Ariados.
Or, they could always dress up as food. Of course.

How about another topic?

What tropes best fit Advanceshipping, and why?

For those of you who don't know what tropes are, this is the explanation that they have on the TV Trope site:

"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them. The wiki is called "TV Tropes" because TV is where we started. Over the course of a few years, our scope has crept out to include other media. Tropes transcend television. They reflect life. Since a lot of art, especially the popular arts, do their best to reflect life, tropes are likely to show up everywhere."

So, for example, a common trope would be "The Power of Friendship." And, from that trope, you can see SO many examples from all kinds of media you come in contact with. Such as Harry Potter (power of friendship beats the Dark Lord), Pokémon itself (power of friendship can revive people, i.e. Ash in the first movie, and etc. etc), and every show you ever watched where the main character snaps out of a trance because their friends willed them to "remember who you are!" So, that's basically the gist. There are so many tropes, and they can get quite addicting to read haha. But anyway, I digress.

Here is the Pokémon's T.V. trope page: Anime/Pokémon - Television Tropes & Idioms

So, what trope fits Advanceshipping? I unfortunately cannot think of any off the top of my head, but it doesn't hurt to point out that May, Ash, and Drew could potentially fit in the "Love Triangle" trope. For obvious reasons. Our classic "Ribbon vs. Roses" argument.

(Anyway. I posed this topic in hopes that @DracoMan would have some good ideas, because if I remember correctly, he's a troper ^^)

Also, seeing as the last Advanceshipping "wedding" was quite well-received, I have devised another one!

AaMayLWeddingScheme2_zps0ab744a0.png

The theme this time around is simply Princess and Her Knight In Shining Armor. AKA the royal palace wedding. It would take place in Cameran Palace, the place near the Tree of Beginning that Movie 8 took place in. The theme would be pink, gold, and white to represent the colors of the Terracotta ribbon, which is just that. As you can see, May's wedding dress is white, adored by pink flowers and gold jewelry. Ash, being his silly self, would want to wear a hat to his wedding (albeit pink, because Dawn would have had his head on a platter otherwise), and he would be wearing a slate gray tuxedo complete with a pink bowtie.

(He would also be carrying his half of the Terracotta ribbon in his pocket, for old times sake.)

The wedding would take place in one of the sparkling grand ballrooms in the castle (left bottom box) and there would be banquet halls filled with beautiful fancy food provided by Queen Ilene (middle bottom box). It is assumed that Mew, disguised as some sort of bird pokemon, would bless the marriage before retreating back to his home in the Tree of Beginning (middle middle box).

Hooray for weddings. Makes me want my own XD

How about another topic?

For those of you who don't know what tropes are, this is the explanation that they have on the TV Trope site:

"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them. The wiki is called "TV Tropes" because TV is where we started. Over the course of a few years, our scope has crept out to include other media. Tropes transcend television. They reflect life. Since a lot of art, especially the popular arts, do their best to reflect life, tropes are likely to show up everywhere."

So, for example, a common trope would be "The Power of Friendship." And, from that trope, you can see SO many examples from all kinds of media you come in contact with. Such as Harry Potter (power of friendship beats the Dark Lord), Pokémon itself (power of friendship can revive people, i.e. Ash in the first movie, and etc. etc), and every show you ever watched where the main character snaps out of a trance because their friends willed them to "remember who you are!" So, that's basically the gist. There are so many tropes, and they can get quite addicting to read haha. But anyway, I digress.

Here is the Pokémon's T.V. trope page: Anime/Pokémon - Television Tropes & Idioms

So, what trope fits Advanceshipping? I unfortunately cannot think of any off the top of my head, but it doesn't hurt to point out that May, Ash, and Drew could potentially fit in the "Love Triangle" trope. For obvious reasons. Our classic "Ribbon vs. Roses" argument.

(Anyway. I posed this topic in hopes that @DracoMan would have some good ideas, because if I remember correctly, he's a troper ^^)

Did I mention that here? Well, anyway, since you asked...

Battle Couple, for starters, considering how often the two fight side-by-side.

Lady And Knight, which is how so many of us see them.

Bodyguard Crush, since I believe Norman and Caroline expected Ash to watch over May.

Student And Master Team--more prominent earlier on, though they're on more equal footing now. Still can be considered a form of Mentor Ship.

Shipper On Deck--Max is a subtle example, considering how much he loves seeing Ash and May together.

Clueless Chick Magnet--Ash, full stop. Unfortunately. Perpetual Chaste Hero and forever Oblivious To Love.

If I come up with any more, I'll post them.

yep, everyone that has been mention, and there are more in the hints.... to be more specific the Cheklovs hints
Cheklov's Gun: that would be the Terracota ribbon considering what happen in the Wallace cup
Cheklovs's Boomerang: the Teddiursa statue, it was given from May and it appear in the first episode in BW, it would of only be a Cheklov's Gun but it appear AGAIN in the LAST episode of DW, giving a feeling of Book Ends as well.
Cheklov's Gunman: Considering the fact that he could return at any moment and he has been use so much in fanfiction, I would have to say Manaphy

btw, One week before I posted? really?

yep, everyone that has been mention, and there are more in the hints.... to be more specific the Cheklovs hints
Cheklov's Gun: that would be the Terracota ribbon considering what happen in the Wallace cup
Cheklovs's Boomerang: the Teddiursa statue, it was given from May and it appear in the first episode in BW, it would of only be a Cheklov's Gun but it appear AGAIN in the LAST episode of DW, giving a feeling of Book Ends as well.
Cheklov's Gunman: Considering the fact that he could return at any moment and he has been use so much in fanfiction, I would have to say Manaphy

btw, One week before I posted? really?

Firstly, it's "Chekhov's," not "Cheklov's." Secondly, for it to qualify as a Chekhov's Trope of any kind, it first has to seem inconsequential when it first appears, and then play an important role later on. The ribbon's been mentioned after it was won by Ash and May, but hasn't actually done anything, and the doll has done nothing but sit on a nightstand. As for Manaphy, unless he officially returns, he's not a Chekhov's anything. (I don't think fanfic counts.) Not to mention the fact that he was far too prominent in his debut to be considered for a Chekhov's Trope.

On the other hand, should Ash and May get together, and keeping in mind that Manaphy considers May his mama, the little guy might consider himself Happily Adopted.

Speaking of Movie 9...

Making a Splash: Well, that's pretty much everyone, not just Ash and May.
Heroic Second Wind: Ash got this courtesy of May and Manaphy, leading to what looked like a Heroic Sacrifice. Of course, he got better.

Last edited:
Phew, Been a while since I've been on here... Mostly on Serebii and the ADVancers sites...

Well, thanks for the welcome, though I'm sure I've seen a few of you either on Serebii or ADVancers.

As far as Tropes goes, I have no idea. I don't pay attention to T.V enough to notice or even care about these, though it is interesting to read about, for sure. Those Wallace Cup pics though... Never noticed that. I smiled when I saw those. It makes them look like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that fit perfectly together.

AS movie is so great that even Misty gets fumed.

What pairings should they cross-dress as in Halloween?

Right on Halloween (or not since there's no Halloween celebrations here): Plusle and Minun is one good pair, but it's more like brother-sister or fraternal twins type (to me). Well, they can cross-dress each other; or cross-dress their AG rivals and get the bicker going.

I don't have any idea for tropes though.

Happy Halloween Advanceshippers!

AaMayLHalloween_zpsc65a310c.png

Sorry for the crappy edit, I didn't have much time ^^ Anyway, yup, they're dressed like Plusle and Minun, just like xLolPanda suggested!

And a fanart that's not mine....

_ten_minutes_before_midnight__by_r_sraven-d317ufd.jpg
By: R-S Raven

Have a great day everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom