• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

May (Lol @ pun) I join this thread? Advanceshipping has been my OTP ever since watching AG seven years ago. I adore this pairing to no end!

Also breaking news! KAORI returns to voice acting - Pocketmonsters.Net Apparently Haruka's VA (May in the Japanese original.), KAORI, is returning to the VA world. Meaning that an ORAS cameo with May is much more likely!

To jump-start this thread, a new topic: What kind of hints are you expecting in a possible ORAS promotion arc?

May (Lol @ pun) I join this thread? Advanceshipping has been my OTP ever since watching AG seven years ago. I adore this pairing to no end!

Also breaking news! KAORI returns to voice acting - Pocketmonsters.Net Apparently Haruka's VA (May in the Japanese original.), KAORI, is returning to the VA world. Meaning that an ORAS cameo with May is much more likely!

To jump-start this thread, a new topic: What kind of hints are you expecting in a possible ORAS promotion arc?
If this true then Hurrah! This means that KAORI will have likely to be return to Pokemon XY and voicing May to promote ORAS

What kind of hints are you expecting in a possible ORAS promotion arc?

Well , her being there is already a hint to me :D I'm sure those little hints like (when she appeared in DP = the restaurant owner couple had a snorlaw and munchlax , just like Ash and May or when she said her goodbye and held the hand to her heart.) will be scattered all around . Hopefully Serena doesn't ruin the whole thing , because if she's anything close to how she is right now , i could see her getting jealous and doing unnecessary stuff.

Why do you like AdvanceShipping?

Interestingly enough, I don't primarily like this pairing for the content within the actual anime, as I honestly view a lot of the hints as friendship, but moreso because I believe that it's the most realistic pairing. I personally believe that Ash and May have the best friendship in the anime behind Ash and Brock and that, along with a personal observation that later on in AG, and DP, May appears to care a lot more for Ash when she occasionally holds her heart when referring to him, or when her eyes, along with Ash's, twinkle when saying their goodbyes in DP (Generally, in her DP cameo, I thought she was more lively and cheerful, especially around Ash, due to possible appreciation of Ash's guidance over the previous saga (iirc, she mentions that she missed Ash, Brock, and Max, but the ribbon reminded her of them, especially Ash, and inspired her)). With that, I believe that the two, as great friends, could potentially grow into a great couple once they mature.

And then there's Temple of the Sea :p (<- That's what both first led me to this observation and got into the pairing).

So, basically I believe that Ash and May are great friends in the anime (I think May had a puppy crush on Ash at the start, but other than that, they're primarily best friends), but could make a great couple when they grow up. Also, as I said, to me that looked like a potential direction, and the most plausible direction, that could be headed after May's DP cameo (and Movie 9), with her showing much more feelings towards the conclusion of her screen time on the show (And I mention "directions" because they're 10, not 16+.)

EDIT: Also remembered that in Movie 9, the Luvdisc scene (and we know Luvdisc's fortune around a couple), May praying for Ash, Ash receiving the prayer and continuing on, in DP the little scene in the night where they hold up ribbons and admit that that's helped them both (that had a sweet aura to me). That all backs up my thoughts a bit.

I'm not sure, actually. I can see Ash and May being very happy to see one another, and start catching up, and Serena's kind of in the back just observing (so, basically a repeat of the scene on the boat with Dawn :p).

Last edited:
I've always liked AdvanceShipping. Back then they seemed like the perfect fit, and May is my favorite of Ash's female companions. I stopped watching the show right around Battle Frontier, but whenever I get nostalgic I usually think back to AG, and I guess I still have a fondness for AdvanceShipping for the same reason.

Not gonna lie, if they bring back the AG cast for ORAS promotion, even if only for a bit, I'll probably watch those episodes. Best Poke-cast ever, yo.

Fun fact: I made the original AdvanceShipping thread on my old account back in 2005. My my, how time flies. :p

I've always liked AdvanceShipping. Back then they seemed like the perfect fit, and May is my favorite of Ash's female companions. I stopped watching the show right around Battle Frontier, but whenever I get nostalgic I usually think back to AG, and I guess I still have a fondness for AdvanceShipping for the same reason.

Not gonna lie, if they bring back the AG cast for ORAS promotion, even if only for a bit, I'll probably watch those episodes. Best Poke-cast ever, yo.

Fun fact: I made the original AdvanceShipping thread on my old account back in 2005. My my, how time flies. :p

Oh god , you old shipper! I do remember the old thread a bit , used to lurk around it a few times. :D But yeah , i still think they seem the perfect fit even now . There hasn't been a female that Ash/Satoshi would interact with , like he did with May . I just don't see the emotions/reality when he traveled with the others.

And the way May left , i always fell like it was some sort of a - i'll do my best/make my own style to return someday and show you how much i've grown .

And about the ORAS. It's mostly because of it and the chance of May showing up i'm still watching the damn Anime . ;D

Oh god , you old shipper! I do remember the old thread a bit , used to lurk around it a few times. :D But yeah , i still think they seem the perfect fit even now . There hasn't been a female that Ash/Satoshi would interact with , like he did with May . I just don't see the emotions/reality when he traveled with the others.

And the way May left , i always fell like it was some sort of a - i'll do my best/make my own style to return someday and show you how much i've grown .

And about the ORAS. It's mostly because of it and the chance of May showing up i'm still watching the damn Anime . ;D

I've always personally believed that Ash and May's relationship had the best development in the anime, thus far. It was interesting to see Ash, who himself had come off of a learning role in the OS, to take May, someone who disliked Pokemon and cared more for traveling, under his wing and see their relationship, along with, more importantly, May's character, develop in the way it did. Hell, May even became an equal to Ash at the end of Advanced Generation, as shown by the ribbon, and one of the top coordinators, placing top 8 in the Hoenn Grand Festival, and Top 4 in the Kanto Grand Festival. We haven't really seen a detailed story, or as much as that, behind Ash and a Pokegirl since, in my opinion, and I think it makes AdS'ing unique. In fact, I don't think we've seen such a detailed subplot for a side-character since then.

I do agree - Not only did Ash help May become what she is right now , i'd say that he himself matured at that time span. Right now when i watch X/Y he seems really bland with little to almost none emotions , thats why i'm hoping with May showing up ,the authors would add that little spark to him back . But it's a long way till we hear anything about it at all .

Hope that the old shippers wake up/come back at some point and make this forum part much more alive again . ;D

I do agree - Not only did Ash help May become what she is right now , i'd say that he himself matured at that time span. Right now when i watch X/Y he seems really bland with little to almost none emotions , thats why i'm hoping with May showing up ,the authors would add that little spark to him back . But it's a long way till we hear anything about it at all .

Hope that the old shippers wake up/come back at some point and make this forum part much more alive again . ;D

Exactly. Look at Diamond and Pearl, especially. Maybe it was a contrast to Dawn, who I thought of as rather immature (not bashing, I've just seen Dawn as a female-Gen. 1-Ash), but Ash really looked a lot more mature in this series, took things seriously and made smart plays, etc. I believe that that couldn't of happened if he hadn't had matured as he did in AG.

Well for the topics people have been asking, I'll give my answers for them.

Why do you like AdvanceShipping?

If I had all day and a better vocabulary I can go on and on.

I've always thought who'd go best with Ash, and I'd have to say May. They had good times, supported each other, and they look to darn cute together. Then the fan-works, ah yes, the fan fiction is what converted me to love this shipping. The ones I've read have been great works, if only they were animated and considered canon. Lastly, the artworks, there have been many, many great artworks from many dedicated shippers over the years. I love how well they're drawn, so smoothly and bursting with life.

Well I guess we'd see hints similar to what we saw in the Wallace Cup. Like the ribbon returning, May and Ash happy to see each other again, etc. I can't give much of an answer for this question (never had a good imagination).

Well, i' would wait some surprising hints, but i really would like to see the ribbon again ;)

Wow, it's been a while.

I'm not sure what to expect. Any sort of interaction would be good. What I'm hoping for is Ash and May reminiscing about their past adventures.

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself. The names Greil Mercenary and I have joined the Forums about a week ago. Is there still room for another Advanceshipper because I am a huge fan of Ash and May?? I'm still getting to the hang of things around here. How's everybody doing?? =)

If there is a chance that Kaori will be returning as a VA then we will have a high chance of May returning. As other people said: Misty got two returns so it's only fair that May also gets to appear again, right?? =)

New topic:

You think that we're going to see the ribbon again? if yes, when?

I think that in XY we will see ash looking at the half ribbon, clemont would ask "what is that?" and then, he will start to talk about May

New topic:

You think that we're going to see the ribbon again? if yes, when?

I think that in XY we will see ash looking at the half ribbon, clemont would ask "what is that?" and then, he will start to talk about May

How sweet would that be? It'd be nice if he were looking at the half-ribbon and then she serendipitously appears, but I'd be placated with flashbacks at first once he mentions the ribbon. May could then re-enter temporarily any number of ways - I trust the writers will handle this matter as well as they did when they initially introduced her. If, or perhaps more optimistically, when May makes her temporary return, I hope the writers execute her cameo flawlessly. This very well could be our last "hoorah" considering there wouldn't be another reason to bring her back once she's done what she needs to do on-screen... :((

(Oh, how I pine for the halcyon days of 2003, when the AG was fresh and the adventures in Hoenn lay ahead of us)

Also, another question for others to ponder:

If May were to temporarily travel with Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie, how do you think each of the characters would feel about her presence? Would they take a liking to her? How would they act?

If May were to temporarily travel with Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie, how do you think each of the characters would feel about her presence? Would they take a liking to her? How would they act?

Good question! well, Serena and May would be friends, but of course she would be jealous, because she will see that Ash and May are so close, and we can't denny, serena likes ash, Bonnie and May would have a little sister and big sister relationship, may would teach here abour contest battles and pokémon stuff, May and Clemont would have a normal relationship, they would talk about their little brothers and stuff like that, something like that....

This is a good question! I think May and Clemont would get along well as they are both older siblings. May and Bonnie I feel would bond quickly. As for Serena...I think they would be competitive rivals.

I have a topic question of my own: If May did make an [ORAS/B] cameo, do you think Serena's crush on Ash hinder? I feel it would as I want Geekchicshipping to be a thing, Clemont was the only thoughtful one to ask Serena if something is wrong while Ash, Shauna, Bonnie, Tierno and Trevor all ran ahead >>

Back
Top Bottom