• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Aerilate vs. Normalize vs. Pixilate vs. Refrigerate

Pixilate despite my love hate relationship with fairies. I love the ability mostly because of how it works with Hyper Voice and such on Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon. Since Fairy is super effective against common types, on top of a attack boost and then lots of STAB it means lots of killing! It makes Normal type moves more usable on Pokemon that aren't normal types.

Voted Normalize. Since Chandelure no longer has Shadow Tag, I'll reveal my secret strategy now from B/W:

Your pokemon:
Delcatty @ Choice Scarf with only Assist
Chandelure with max speed/sp att with Flame Charge, Calm Mind, and 2 of Flamethrower/Shadow Ball/HP Dragon
Chingling with only Skill Swap and Entrainment
Chimecho with only Skill Swap and Entrainment
Smeargle with only Skill Swap and Entrainment
Whatever you want with only Skill Swap or only Entrainment

Send out Delcatty first and use Assist. It has a 7/11 chance of changing the opponent's ability to Normalize. Next turn switch to Chandelure. If they don't switch, you've just trapped them and they can only use moves that don't affect Chandelure. Use Calm Mind x6 and then as many Flame Charges as you can get to raise your speed.

After you kill the Normalize pokemon, your opponent has to face a Chandelure with +6 Sp att and +4 to +6 speed.

But it doesn't work anymore *cries miserably*
That's why Normalize is my favorite though. Good times :)

Normalize is the least useful due to the lack of an extra boost. It does have a few niche uses like Thunder Wave hitting Ground Types, but it's got very few perks outside of that, as Normal is a Type without many perks. Plus it's only on Delcatty, making it even more underwhelming.

Of the other three... taking in count the Pokémon that get it currently and Normal Type moves in general, Aerilate is by far the best. It's extremely good in Mega Pinsir for his physical focus and the fact that the most powerful and useful Normal moves are physical. Pixilate and Refrigerate are only available to Special-based Pokémon, and though Eevee and Gardevoir can get Hyper Voice through transfer, it's not readily available for the same reason. Aurorus only gets Tri Attack through Nature Power use, which is fairly decent at least. However, most of them only have access to Hyper Beam, which is a bad move in general. So yeah, due to Normal Type's poor amount and distribution of its few Special Moves, Pixilate and Refrigerate don't really come close to the utility of Aerilate, despite being arguably better Types, especially Refrigerate.

So yeeep. I'll pick Aerilate as of now. It makes Mega Pinsir awesome.

Taking in consideration the current pokemon that have these abilities, i'll go with Aerilate. M-Pinsir is a monster with this ability, M-Pinsir's Return has 199 BP with this ability, that's 199 BP with no negative side effects and it's coming off of a 155 Base Attack, it hurts like hell. Also has great priority with Quick Attack, which also gets boosted with Aerilate.

Aerialate is the best one due to the lack of powerful flying-type attacks outside of the unreliable Hurricane, which not many Pokemon learn. Though I voted Refrigerate because....well, I guess just because I like the name.

Well, I've only ever had experience with Refrigerate on my Aurorus in X. I really liked it, especially combined with Hyper Beam. So I vote for Refrigerate by default.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom