• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aesthetics and Graphics

It looks like a bush to me, but it really ties the screen together.

I'm not sure how I feel anymore about the lack of forward movement off the grass when Pokemon are physically attacking. I'm not disappointed as such, because the way the camera moves it kind of lets them get away with it, but after seeing Froakie in the very first trailer use quick attack and actually move off and physically attack the other Pokemn, it's been a bit of a letdown not to have seen much more of it.

Maybe it's only the punching moves that are keeping the pokemon on their grass circle. I'm not complaining, I just hope there's some more movement from the Pokemon for physical attacks (like tackle, quick attack etc.). Brave Bird is amazing though.

I'm not sure how I feel anymore about the lack of forward movement off the grass when Pokemon are physically attacking. I'm not disappointed as such, because the way the camera moves it kind of lets them get away with it, but after seeing Froakie in the very first trailer use quick attack and actually move off and physically attack the other Pokemn, it's been a bit of a letdown not to have seen much more of it.

Maybe it's only the punching moves that are keeping the pokemon on their grass circle. I'm not complaining, I just hope there's some more movement from the Pokemon for physical attacks (like tackle, quick attack etc.). Brave Bird is amazing though.

We saw Honedge's move in that trailer use physical contact as well as brave bird but, I think the dynamic camera kinda makes up for it.

[video=youtube;VMxag6XaG58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxag6XaG58[/video]

I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but it seems that the pokemon 3D models are not modified when they are asleep. Malamar uses Hypnosis on Arbok, and its eyes are still open even though it has the sleep condition.

Lol, that is awful. There is no excuse to not make the Pokémon (at least) close their eyes when asleep. They did it in Generation V, with sprites, doing the same with 3D models would be way easier. That being said, perhaps the footage is from an early stage of the game and the models will be modified when they are asleep, in its final build.

Yeah, I really hope it's just from the footage not being final. They already blink, them not having closed eyes would just be ridiculous. Not to mention all the other 3D games do it.

[video=youtube;VMxag6XaG58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxag6XaG58[/video]

I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but it seems that the pokemon 3D models are not modified when they are asleep. Malamar uses Hypnosis on Arbok, and its eyes are still open even though it has the sleep condition.

Snakes don't have eyelids, they sleep with their eyes open.

While this is pretty much true. Arbok still blinks in his animation right before hypnosis hits, if you look carefully enough.
I couldn't nab the blink entirely, but it does do it.
halfblinkarbok.jpg
half blink
arbokawake.jpg
Eyes wide open.

Oh my god, my Arbok does not close its eyes when it is sleeping, worst game ever.

Seriously, I don't find this to be a very big deal. Maybe it is sleeping with its eyes open like with real world snakes like how Tendou said. If that's true, then I seriously have to commend Game Freak for keeping that particular detail in mind. But since as Spikehelia shows that it can still at least blink its eyes, then it could very well mean that other Pokemon will shut their eyes when asleep. I don't see a point to freak out over this.

You're right on that note. I'm just pointing this out in the event that none of the 3D models will change under the sleep condition. We first saw Malamar use Hypnosis on a Pangoro, but that pokemon's design and 3D sprite features it with pure black eyes with no irises or pupils. Pangoro's model didn't really change when it was put to sleep, so I assumed that it already had its eyes closed before Hypnosis took effect.

It would be wishful thinking for Game Freak to put so much detail into each pokemon model by having it react to certain conditions in the same respect as the real life species it is inspired by.

What are you talking about? We only see the shot when Arbok is hit with Hypnosis and it is repeated a second time. After that we only see Arbok from behind, so we have no way of telling if its eyes are closed or not. I think they will all close their eyes.

Guys, we only see when the attack hits. We don't actually see Arbok's face when it begins to sleep. Being hit by sleep-inducing moves doesn't result in sleep immediately, the attack's animation must finish first.

Uh...the Pokemon do have their eyes closed when they're sleeping. I did a frame by frame and Arbok's eyes are closed when the camera angle changes. It's just hard to tell because it pans away quickly and the initial Hypnosis animation doesn't actually show the Pokemon sleeping right away.

zPyMUKC.png

New Arbok seems to have a subtly different chest design than the previous ones.

I don't know, it looks the same to me. The only thing I can think of is that it may not have those tiny red dots on the upper black design (but they might just be too small to be seen from the distance shown in the gameplay video).

I don't normally nitpick over the graphics or even complain about them, it's just that if they didn't close their eyes, I'd be pretty disappointed because of how great these models look, and that the other 3D games do it (and even 2D Gen V)

But its good to see that they do close.

I don't normally nitpick over the graphics or even complain about them, it's just that if they didn't close their eyes, I'd be pretty disappointed because of how great these models look, and that the other 3D games do it (and even 2D Gen V)

But its good to see that they do close.

I have to agree. In the days of sprites things were mostly left to your imagination. Now as graphics get better and better imagination means less and immersion means more. I think making sure eyes close isn't that big of a request. They already blink.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom