• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aesthetics and Graphics

What do people think of the new Pokemon-viewing screen? Looks very neat and tidy to me, I like it.

screen.jpg

Personally I think the colored buttons in the background distracts it from the rest of the screen. It'll probably have to be something that'll grow on me, but otherwise yes, it does look tidy.

Personally, I find the graphics gorgeous. Maybe it's because I'm less concerned with the blockiness and more with the 'fluidity' of the movements of the pokémon, which is top-notch, IMO. I'm very happy with how the pokémon react to attacks, and the multiple camera views.

I wish they didn't use caps in the stat box and for "next lv." since it's not used anywhere else except the "check moves"-button, but oh well. It looks fine to me otherwise.

I don't know if it's because of the trailer carching up mid-animation, but in the last trailer when Bunnelby uses Dig, instead of digging the hole itself, it seems like the hole just appears around it an dthenit sinks down into the hole. I must see the complete animation to confirm or disprove it.

I hope you can turn the battle circles off. It looks even more ridiculous now.

GR7EtSx.jpg

Looks to be very similar to the later console games i.e. the Pokémon looks dizzy, starts to collapse and is recalled into the Poké Ball.

I wonder how wild Pokémon will faint.

Not in a topic called "Aesthetics and Graphics", but it doesn't matter as the fanboys here will blindly say the game looks amazing anyway or say "it's GF first time with 3D" like that would be an excuse, while some of us give objective examples of how it doesn't look "amazing".

It's a Pokemon game. If the Pokemon look good (and for the most part they do), I am happy. If I wanted a realistic virtual tour of France there are probably better places to go for that.

Not in a topic called "Aesthetics and Graphics", but it doesn't matter as the fanboys here will blindly say the game looks amazing anyway or say "it's GF first time with 3D" like that would be an excuse, while some of us give objective examples of how it doesn't look "amazing".

It's a Pokemon game. If the Pokemon look good (and for the most part they do), I am happy. If I wanted a realistic virtual tour of France there are probably better places to go for that.

I disagree, i seen Ps1games that look better than X and Y .

Not sure if logic is actually serious or is trolling..

Wow then I hate to see what you thought about the pixels then. IMO X and Y are a massive step up for pokemon graphic and gameplay wise....

X and Y look amazing for handheld Pokemon games, and PS1 graphics are usually way more square, and blocky than this. IE Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy 7, etc. At this game looks smooth, and has rounded edges, and the Pokemon look pretty convincingly like they're drawn art works. I don't see how these are worse than Playstation 1 at all, but it's really no comparison. Pokemon games have never been top graphics, they're kind of their own thing, so in terms of GameFreaks prior handheld Poke games, X and Y are a big step up.

I still hate the font, though, looks kind of cheap.

The dialouge boxes in particular remind me of a fan-game.

Unfortunately, shiny pokemon will keep the exact same 2D sprite as their normally colored counterparts.

E9DzV1J.jpg

[video=youtube;IkzyxaJMfqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IkzyxaJMfqY[/video]

Something I want to point out is that (other than this game looking amazing XD) is that Mewtwo did 3 different animations to fire off Psystrike, Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball. I intentionally thought the animations would be limited to one for physical attacks and one for special attacks however there's more to it than that.......

This is what the item screen looks like during battles.
large_image.jpg

The bottom screen's appearance changes when an item is used to heal a pokemon.
large_image.jpg
Images courtesy of raim2005 from Twitter

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom