• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aesthetics and Graphics

I personally don't see why a minuscule menu sprite must by colored shiny (especially since they only had a palette change in GSC). The Pokemon already has a star on its summary page and it's registered in your Pokedex as being shiny, as well. I'm just wondering why this needs to be made a big deal of.

I can respect your opinion but I too am a bit upset with it (as silly as it may seem to some). For me its the little things that count and the fact that Game Freak could overlook (or simply ignore) such an easy thing to do somewhat annoys me. Like you said they went as far as finally giving shinies entries in the Pokédex, then why not go the full circle and take advantage of all the things Shiny Pokémon can possibly show up in?

I would honestly like to see my shiny Magnezone's mini sprite (or any other shinies I have) as its with me in my party, not only is it cool but cute too :3. Also I'll be honest and say that linearity is one thing I'm in big favor for, all small details aside even if it seems a bit OCD-ish.

Last edited:
I can respect your opinion but I too am a bit upset with it (as silly as it may seem to some). For me its the little things that count and the fact that Game Freak could overlook (or simply ignore) such an easy thing to do somewhat annoys me. Like you said they went as far as finally giving shinies entries in the Pokédex, then why not go the full circle and take advantage of all the things Shiny Pokémon can possibly show up in?

I just feel that maybe they think it isn't worth the effort, since it isn't really necessary. I mean, there are over 700 Pokemon now and it isn't like you'll be seeing the menu sprite that often in the games, anyway. Of course, I don't know, but that's my honest guess of it.

A double battle between Morimoto and Yamamoto it showcases alot of things.

- Weather effects will be visible all the time in the battlefield (when Politoed's Drizzle activated)
- Boomburst is probably a special move (Noivern's sp. attack fell, but Malamar's Topsy-Turvy reversed it so it was raised, Boomburst knocked out both Gallade and Marowak)
- Seeing Noivern (and Talonflame to that matter) used in a team with (apparent) last stage Pokémon makes me think they are last stage Pokémon as well (or stand-alone in Noivern's case)
- A few really cool new attack animations (Power Whip and Draco Meteor FTW)
[video=youtube;QLo0Fz_9f8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLo0Fz_9f8Q[/video]

Last edited:
The move animations are so sexy ;_; specially Power Whip (!!!) and Draco Meteor. Gallade retracting the blades on its arms made me smile, like I did when I saw Haunter waggling its tongue when attacking a foe. It is nice to see the amount of unique details Game Freak is giving to each Pokémon, details that you previously could only get to see watching the anime. I was afraid that moving the franchise to the full 3D realm could be a bad decision, but thankfully it seems that I was wrong, in the end. Also, nice to see Malamar, Pangoro and Noivern battling together, because they are totally going to be in my team! I just think the squid fainted too easily.

Jesus Christ, that all looks so awesome - even with the standard online background (very tournament feel though). I can't believe Sylveon survived two Politoed Hydro Pumps in rain. I love the fainting animations for trainer pokemon too. Hopefully we get another one of these uploaded from Gamescom or something.

Draco Meteor looks all kinds of awesome! Can't wait to see it up close on my 3DS.

Power Whip looked epic too.

Sylveon is pretty damn bulky to take a Life Orb, Hydro Pump, in the rain like that.

Not only that, but it took it surprisingly well. The minimum damage modification for that Hydro Pump that landed a critical on Sylveon is 4.9725 I think. Almost 5x (and it could be over 5x if the random damage calculator in the equation was closer to 1) and it dealt less than 2/3 of Sylveon's HP in damage. I'm not an expert, but I think Sylveon either has amazing Sp. Def. (and hopefully physical Def. as well) or HP or both.

Sylveon is pretty damn bulky to take a Life Orb, Hydro Pump, in the rain like that.

Not only that, but it took it surprisingly well. The minimum damage modification for that Hydro Pump that landed a critical on Sylveon is 4.9725 I think. Almost 5x (and it could be over 5x if the random damage calculator in the equation was closer to 1) and it dealt less than 2/3 of Sylveon's HP in damage. I'm not an expert, but I think Sylveon either has amazing Sp. Def. (and hopefully physical Def. as well) or HP or both.

Most likely both for it to take it that well it probably has 110/130 in both HP and Special defense so it's safe to say we have a more offensive Umbreon on our hands.

That's basically what I was saying. Took a STAB, rain, life orb, Hydro Pump very well. I'm guessing it's 130 stat will be Sp. Def. Maybe HP will be 110. Hope it has good attacking stats, too, though.

Sylveon's spread is probably going to be (hoping for anyway):
HP 110
Attack 60
Defense 65
Sp Atk 95
Sp Def 130
Speed 65

I just feel that maybe they think it isn't worth the effort, since it isn't really necessary. I mean, there are over 700 Pokemon now and it isn't like you'll be seeing the menu sprite that often in the games, anyway. Of course, I don't know, but that's my honest guess of it.
So you're excusing them with laziness now.
And I won't see it that often in the game??? The sprite appears in key locations seen a lot in the game: my party, in the box system and in the FIGHT button in battles and you don't consider that "often" enough?

And I won't see it that often in the game??? The sprite appears in key locations seen a lot in the game: my party, in the box system and in the FIGHT button in battles and you don't consider that "often" enough?

In comparison to everything else, like the actual Pokemon sprite (or models now), not really. I don't really anticipate people to just stare at the "FIGHT" menu for minutes at a time to enjoy the shiny icon, is all I'm saying. So there's really no reason to make the shiny sprite.

If they actually did make that sprite shiny, what would be the point, other than the obvious?

In comparison to everything else, like the actual Pokemon sprite (or models now), not really. I don't really anticipate people to just stare at the "FIGHT" menu for minutes at a time to enjoy the shiny icon, is all I'm saying. So there's really no reason to make the shiny sprite.

If they actually did make that sprite shiny, what would be the point, other than the obvious?

It doesn't matter where it is, be it in the 3D models, the backgrounds, the menu, there is no reason to ignore anything. It doesn't matter if it "may not get the most attention" or whatever, it's there. As long as it's there, full effort should be put into it.

The point? So it matches the Pokemon it is representing. If the Pokemon is shiny, then why can't its menu sprite show that too? I fail to see what is so wrong with that.

Last edited:
This conversation becomes even more ridiculous every day.

No, shinies do not need to look shiny in their menu sprite. That's called nitpicking.

You are given shiny models of your pokemon, instead you are raging about little pixels of your Pokemon you cannot even make out. Shiny pokemon are not the main feature of this game, they gave more attention and time to other features.

This particular feature they did not add because only some people actually notice it out of their millions of players.

No, shinies do not need to look shiny in their menu sprite. That's called nitpicking.

You are given shiny models of your pokemon, instead you are raging about little pixels of your Pokemon you cannot even make out. Shiny pokemon are not the main feature of this game, they gave more attention and time to other features.

This particular feature they did not add because only some people actually notice it out of their millions of players.

It's still beyond me why you guys are against something that would make the game aesthetically more consistent.

It's still beyond me why you guys are against something that would make the game aesthetically more consistent.

I don't think their against it. I think there just saying it's a minuscule to get mad at.

Status ailments will be typed as complete words in X and Y.

As you can see in this video around 2:20, Chespin is paralyzed and a box containing the entire word is seen next to its HP bar.
[video=youtube;GoaKGS3LhmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoaKGS3LhmM[/video]

And as Bulbagarden pointed out, X and Y continues with the tradition of twinkles surrounding a shiny pokemon when it is encountered in the wild.
1239713_466426703454851_1189235215_n.jpg

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom