• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aesthetics and Graphics

It looks a lot better in the original :S

Is that just a result of the quality of the videos/screenshots?

It looks a lot better in the original :S

Is that just a result of the quality of the videos/screenshots?

I don't know, but I liked the January pic better. What's the brown thing in the water under the bridge. It looks to unnatural to be the bridge's shadow/reflection on the water.

Looks like a part of a bridge, not the reflection. Like the gold ornaments are on some brown siding.

At least it got rid of the thick black outlines around the gold in the original picture.

tumblr_mtaulsgLZ41r1alb2o1_500.png

tumblr_mtaulsgLZ41r1alb2o2_500.png

They improved the graphics quite a lot in the past eight months.
It only looks like some exchanged textures and the screenshot was taken in a different part of the day (ugh the second pic looks washed it actually looks worse). Instead of fixing the bridge jaggedness they put a background to fill the transparency of its details like Rainbow just said.
Call me when they improve lightning, shadows, polygon count / AA.

BTW it was confirmed the overworld is 2D mode only:
Junichi Masuda Confirms That the Pokémon X & Y Overworld is 2D Only

Edit: Oops just checked some people confirming that before me, well I'll just leave the link here.

I just want Pokémon Z/X2Y2 or the next generation of console+game already, I thought 3DS was more capable. :/

Last edited:
Junichi Masuda has commented about the 2D overworld in his interview with Digital Spy:
We really wanted to make the overworld - the field - as beautiful as possible. We could put in a lot of grass and flowers, and try to make them as pretty as possible. When you don't use the 3D effect you are able to render quite a bit more on the 3DS. That's one of the reasons why we wanted to leave it off in the overworld, because it gives us more power to show off more beautiful graphics.

That plays to the strengths of the 3DS, where you don't require glasses - you don't have to put them on and take them off at certain moments. You can just leave it on and then at certain specific moments, the 3D will come on and it will be more surprising or impactful to the player.

I hope to see them at least try to make full 3D work in the future though I guess I can get what they're saying. Or perhaps they tried it in full 3D and it didn't work out the way they wanted/weren't satisfied with the results.

It doesn't matter to me that much anymore tbh, I was a little disappointed hearing it at first, but the graphics are very nice looking for how they are.

I still find this to be very disappointing because I love using the 3D effect.

It's such a shame, because I'm sure there are a lot of places in the overworld that would've looked pretty baller in 3D.

Everything is so exciting ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

October is going to be one heck of a month.

I hope everyone here trades friend codes or something so we can all play together.

The updated graphics look nice. And I understand why they aren't making the overworld full 3D. The team has put a lot of effort into this game, we should all appreciate it. : 3

I'm kind of glad that the 3d effects will only sometimes be on, If I keep playing a full 3d game I stop noticing the 3d after a while and it just looks flat unless I turn the 3d slider off then on again.

On another note, in the screenshots with the bridge and statue what is that grey part above the building in the top left corner?

Last edited:
I'm still waiting them to show us how the ordinary evolutions looks. They must look totally badass with these graphics.

Holy crap at the sunset Tower of Mastery. Holy Crap at the updated looks. HOLY CRAP AT THAT DRACO METEOR. Now the game looks like what people where saying it was, in other words a proper beast.

I hope Lumiose in particular has more NPCs in the city, because just from the clips we've seen so far, it looks pretty bare. I don't want to run around in a giant ghost town! :(

I hope Lumiose in particular has more NPCs in the city, because just from the clips we've seen so far, it looks pretty bare. I don't want to run around in a giant ghost town! :(

More like Castelia, perhaps?

Because I liked the number of NPCs in Castelia, in if many/most of them were not interact able.

Yeah, Castelia was pretty cool, it felt like a big, active city. I don't even care if we can talk to all the people, as long as they are there to make the place feel populated. Or the city gets populated with people's avatars from the PSS, kind of like Join Avenue?

lol I remember my first time going to Castelia. I'm like "Holy crap. Did I just lose my way in a pokemon town?"

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom