• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

After Hoenn - Will the Remakes get Remakes?

Personally, I don't think they should make Gen 1 remakes again. Instead they should make a completely new game set in Kanto that isn't a copy/paste from the Gen 1 games like FR/LG was, but an entirely new story, possibly to be released around 2016-2017 in favor of the 20th anniversary of the franchise. Or could have these be the last games of Gen 6 before Gen 7 starts, or why not have them be the start of Gen 7. Yeah, bet you weren't thinking of having a new generation be set in an old region, it's something they've never tried before, having a new journey in an old region with new Pokemon alongside the old ones. Granted this is unlikely, but it's something they could do instead of just remaking Gen 1 word-for-word again.

Maybe, Gen 1 in 3 is the most irrelevant now. Don't think I'd buy a FRLG remake though.

A part of me could see them doing something with FR/LG for the 20th anniversary, although hopefully something a bit different than just a remake of a remake. There would be kids who haven't experienced playing the original games in some format and I'd imagine that they'd want to make that more available at some point. Whether or not it's a remake of a remake or just making them digitally available on the 3DS eShop is hard to say at this point. I'm not entirely eager to visit Kanto again, especially when it, along with most of the first generation in general, comes off as overrated/over glorified in my opinion, but I'm curious to see how they'd handle them regardless.

If they are going to the something with Kanto in the 20th Anninversary i hope it's a sequel, a remake would be unnecessary, a sequel could fix a bunch of the issues i have with the Gen 1 games, something a remake wouldn't do nearly as well.

Last edited:
Wait, are we sure Johto and Kanto won't be accessible post-game in ORAN?

It's impossible to know that now, but even one region sounds unlikely as they have only done that with the Johto games so far. Even less so with two regions.

Unless we're talking about an Oran Berry-themed game.

If they ever make a game revisiting Kanto, it should be a spiritual successor. Not a sequel, not a remake, but a completely different story taking place in Kanto, with shout outs to the originals here and there.

And it should be done on the next system. Maybe Gen7 or Gen8

Really surprised that no one has thought the next game, (after Hoenn) will be a new region?

I hope not, because then Pokemon would never end. Which would not be good because let's face it; a series is never good when the creators start to run out of ideas. Maybe the very last game could be a final Kanto remake.....back to basics.
It would be far more logical (and preferable) for the finale to represent a culmination of concepts and mechanics developed over the course of the series and to celebrate the history of the franchise, not just the origin point. Going 'back to basics' would be counter-productive and a blatant disservice to any fans who have enjoyed observing the evolution of the franchise since it's inception. I would prefer that any theoretical final release be a new game, rather than a revisit to an old region (again) which blatantly ignores the progression of the series in favour of appealing to nostalgia out of appeasement (again). If we absolutely must return to Kanto again some day, it should be in the context of a new story and represent a modern experience. To release an up-to-date version of the originals to bring them in line with the modern Pokemon titles (perhaps as an anniversary celebration) is the only grounds on which another release taking place there would be understandable or acceptable.

Pokemon will exist for as long as people will buy the games. That people would seriously consider spending their money on a third iteration of the same game is testament to the staying power of the franchise going forward.

Last edited:
It is entirely possible for them to remake Red and Blue again, it is not a secret that there are a lot of people who love their Kanto. Personally, I want them to remake Diamond and Pearl in Generation VII instead, but I wouldn't be opposed to new Red and Blue remakes... As long as they remake Diamond and Pearl as well. At this point in the series, remakes are much more exciting to me than new games with 210981209 new Pokémon, so yay for remakes =)

It is entirely possible for them to remake Red and Blue again, it is not a secret that there are a lot of people who love their Kanto. Personally, I want them to remake Diamond and Pearl in Generation VII instead, but I wouldn't be opposed to new Red and Blue remakes... As long as they remake Diamond and Pearl as well. At this point in the series, remakes are much more exciting to me than new games with 210981209 new Pokémon, so yay for remakes =)
What if they instead remake Platinum, the best Pokemon game so far imo, my head would explode with the aumont of awesome.

What if they instead remake Platinum, the best Pokemon game so far imo, my head would explode with the aumont of awesome.
Well, Heart Gold and Soul Silver were theoretically Gold and Silver remakes, but in the end, they resembled more Crystal than Gold and Silver. I think the Ruby and Sapphire remakes will be more akin to Emerald too (or so I hope) and IF they remake Diamond and Pearl in Generation VII, it will be more akin to Platinum as well. Also, I agree with the bold part. I would be happy with Sinnoh remakes either way, though.

Well, Heart Gold and Soul Silver were theoretically Gold and Silver remakes, but in the end, they resembled more Crystal than Gold and Silver. I think the Ruby and Sapphire remakes will be more akin to Emerald too (or so I hope) and IF they remake Diamond and Pearl in Generation VII, it will be more akin to Platinum as well. Also, I agree with the bold part. I would be happy with Sinnoh remakes either way, though.
I also hope that OR/AS has the plot of Emerald and if they remake D/P/PT i hope it has the plot of Platinum but seriously a remake of Platinum, if the remake of Platinum is even better than the original it would be the best pokemon game ever.

I also hope that OR/AS has the plot of Emerald and if they remake D/P/PT i hope it has the plot of Platinum but seriously a remake of Platinum, if the remake of Platinum is even better than the original it would be the best pokemon game ever.
It's greatness would be impossible to comprehend...

So, I had an idea on how they could continue making remakes/sequels of newer gens as well as of previous remakes... They put more than one region into a game.
Like instead of JUST remaking DPPt, they could remake it AND BW(2) into ONE GAME. In that case, it would likely have to be a sequel, but not necessarily.
But in a business perspective, this wouldn't be a really good idea. UNLESS Pokemon's popularity is declining at that time, and a game like that could save it...

Another thought: Do you guys ever think they'll COMPLETELY REBOOT the entire series? Not JUST like how R/S were sort of a reboot, but a completely NEW POKEMON UNIVERSE. NO Kanto, Gyms, Elite Four, tall grass... But something entirely new still based on training Pokemon and trying to catch them all.
(I think if they DID do that, they'd probably still have a way to transfer Pokemon from previous gens... Through an "Interdimensional Portal" or something...)

We can not revive and remake everything for eternity. When GF remade the remake of Gen 1 HG/SS would be getting old and they would have to remake those remakes. No, the old are gone. Let it rest in peace.

Another thought: Do you guys ever think they'll COMPLETELY REBOOT the entire series? Not JUST like how R/S were sort of a reboot, but a completely NEW POKEMON UNIVERSE. NO Kanto, Gyms, Elite Four, tall grass... But something entirely new still based on training Pokemon and trying to catch them all.
(I think if they DID do that, they'd probably still have a way to transfer Pokemon from previous gens... Through an "Interdimensional Portal" or something...)

Similar to that was Pokemon Ranger and maybe Collosseum. A different, new universe with no gyms and stuff.

Similar to that was Pokemon Ranger and maybe Collosseum. A different, new universe with no gyms and stuff.

But those weren't made by GF and they didn't replace the main series. I mean ones ACTUALLY made by GF, to replace the games we already have. And they would have to stop the current main series.

I HOPE we get yet another Red and Blue remake, because, to be honest, I didn't enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen for one sole reason: the music. They did an extraordinarily horrible job remastering the songs from the original games. Ear-blood inducing indeed. Also, I'd like to see Kanto in full 3D and to play with the updated gameplay, including the new Fairy-type, etc. I don't care that most people here are getting tired of Kanto; I think we should revisit it once more. That time we went back in HeartGold/SoulSilver wasn't enough, because it was like a bonus stage after we beat the game.

What if for re-remakes they just redo the third version (Yellow, Crystal...), that 'll solve the what-they-name-it problem at least

Back
Top Bottom